New Genuine Hooligan. Breaking in or something else?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dbbldz123

New Genuine Hooligan. Breaking in or something else?

Post by dbbldz123 »

Put about 200 miles on my Hooligan 170i so far and been loving every minute of it. I changed the oil at 100 miles but haven't messed with anything else.

I've recently noticed my engine is a bit louder than it was before. Is this typical for a scooter during a break-in period?

It feels like the engine is revving up to higher RPMs rather quickly. Not sure if I'm riding it harder than I was when I first got it or the throttle has become a little more sensitive but leaning towards the latter. It goes up to about 6k RPM very quickly after I give it throttle. When rolling to a stop the RPMs consistently hang for a second or two and then drop back down quickly.

I also recently noticed a sort of intermittent clicking sound coming from the rear of the bike after I've rode around for a few miles and shut the bike off.

Any Hooligan or Buddy 170i owners out there willing to shed a light on what might be going on?
Berner

Post by Berner »

From my experience, the idle speed adjusts over time, especially when the bike is new). My new Hooligan used to almost stall every time I came to stop, and then just before it died, the revs would suddenly jump. Then it would repeat that cycle. But, after many weeks, the idle got smarter about holding at the right rev level ... and magically the symptom went away.

I can't say for certain this is what you're experiencing, but it came to mind reading your post.
dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

Here's an audio sample of the clicking noise! Please, does anyone know what this is?

https://clyp.it/shncwd10
Clydeo

Clicking

Post by Clydeo »

Wow! That recording is really loud! But I am sure that it is just your engine cooling off. Someone with more technical knowledge can probably explain this better, but air cooled engines expand when they are hot (running) and the contract when they start cooling. This contraction causes noises that are quite audible. The noise (almost a"clank") can go on for quite a while. Water cooled engines do the same, but don't seem to be quiet as loud. I am guessing that it because they tend to run cooler.
But if you only hear it when the bike isn't running, I can't think of what else it would be, as nothing mechanical is taking place.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The ticking when the engine cools is fairly normal. It also has a scent… a wonderful break in scent that will never be back.

This might all be break in; it's hard to tell from secondhand descriptions what isn't normal. It's possible that the high RPMs and revving when you let off the throttle is a sticky throttle return or cable.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Idaho Scoot

Post by Idaho Scoot »

I am in my first year with my Hooligan. I can relate to some of the descriptions as stated previously such as the RPM fluctuation at stop that made me think the engine was going to die...and then the RPM's rose to normal. However, I have heard that sound you posted but only on one day and one ride. It went away. I must admit that as I listened to your sound recording, I could not help but think it would really bother me. I know that does not help your situation. Make sure to take it toe your dealer and share your concerns. You do have a solid warrantee and you should take advantage of it. When I bought mine, I had an electrical problem. I had read about a similar problem here, and let my dealer know the specifics of what I had learned on this website. They figured out that they had set up the electrical connections wrong at my dealership. They corrected the problem and my 2015 runs like a top now (All summer long). I hope this gets resolved for you because I find my Hooligan to be a very fun daily commuter vehicle.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

dbbldz123 wrote:Here's an audio sample of the clicking noise! Please, does anyone know what this is?

https://clyp.it/shncwd10
You're just hearing the metal, engine block and exaust, cooling and contracting.
Normal hot engine sounds that will occur less as the metals heat cycle over time.

Rob