Lead colors on replacement NCY Coil and Cap.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

Lead colors on replacement NCY Coil and Cap.

Post by k1dude »

I bought one of these:

http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-perform ... hmG2HpViko

You'll notice the left lead is green and right lead is black. But on the stock coil the left lead is black and the right lead is red (which corresponds to the connecting black and red wires on the Buddy).

So it appears I'm supposed to connect the red wire to the black lead and the black wire to the green lead to keep everything in the same orientation as the stock coil. That just seems wrong.

Has anyone else used this NCY Coil and Cap? If so, how did you wire it up?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I beleve you're spot-on. PGO used to collaborate with Piaggio and the green wires were grounds for several of the P/PX bikes of the period. Also Honda used green for the grounds in their scoots of the 80s and 90s; I wouldn't be surprised if that became a standard.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Xsolusx

Re: Lead colors on replacement NCY Coil and Cap.

Post by Xsolusx »

k1dude wrote:I bought one of these:

You'll notice the left lead is green and right lead is black. But on the stock coil the left lead is black and the right lead is red (which corresponds to the connecting black and red wires on the Buddy).

So it appears I'm supposed to connect the red wire to the black lead and the black wire to the green lead to keep everything in the same orientation as the stock coil. That just seems wrong.

Have you installed it? Does it feel any different? Did you do the plug also?
k1dude

Re: Lead colors on replacement NCY Coil and Cap.

Post by k1dude »

Xsolusx wrote:
k1dude wrote:I bought one of these:

Have you installed it? Does it feel any different? Did you do the plug also?
I installed it as part of chasing a problem down. I suspect my stator is bad and I'm working my way toward it. So yes, it's installed. But no, I haven't run it.

Stator is ready to install. I just don't have time until Saturday.

If you're asking because of the lead color question, I was correct. I read in another unrelated DIY thread that I installed it correctly.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

To anyone wondering, it was a stator problem. Once replaced, it ran fine. I've been attributing problems to everything but the stator. It was the stator.

I hooked up the leads of the coil correctly. It seems contrary to common sense, but it works.