Thoughts on scooters and gender issues

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jackie103

Thoughts on scooters and gender issues

Post by Jackie103 »

i am a petite female (5'1") currently a junior in college at Penn State main campus up in State College PA. I just bought a buddy 50 last April to get around town and for my own pleasure because I think it's cool, but the thing that's really been bothering me is that these college guys will be rude to me while I'm riding. They'll yell obscene things at me or say things that make me feel like they are mocking or making fun of me. I know I shouldn't let others opinions ruin things I enjoy, but I can't help but let these types of people take the fun out of riding my scoot. I feel so self conscious whenever I ride, and I shouldn't feel like that at all but can't help it because I feel like people are still so sexist these days. If a male were riding the scooter, I really doubt any of that yelling would happen to them. I also understand that these people are all college age and stupid, but it still is beginning to take a toll on my self esteem.

Have any of you ladies had any issues of people treating you differently while on your scooter/motorcycle just because you're a girl? And does anyone have advice on how to overcome this self consciousness? Sometimes I wish I could be invisible so that I can fully enjoy riding my scooter in peace. Thanks for any input!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Hey, don't feel too bad Jackie. Remember, us guys all get treated like we are "funny boys" because we ride scooters :wink: . And suppose we are? So what! :roll:
KooK

Post by KooK »

I get mocked all the time about riding a scooter! Been told its not masculine! I laugh and tell them. Yep, I a scooter! Best purchase ever! In a 5"10 big built guy. But I don't care, let them laugh when they are stuck in traffic and I am scooting right past them!

As for you, just roll with it! Yell back at them and make it your own game! Boys will be stupid no matter what age they are! I'm 42 and I do dumb crap all the time. Enjoy that scooter and when they try to do whatever to you, it's just words, and you are enjoying riding a scooter and they are not!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm a guy and get rude remarks from ignorant idiots, too. I've had people say "when are you going to get a real motorcycle?". My reply is that I had one but sold it after buying the scooter, which is true. I have to say though, here in San Francisco, there are probably as many scooters as there are motorcycles so most of the native SF people are more informed. I'm assuming it's mainly the recent transplants that are so ignorant.
BTW: from stoplight to stoplight, my scooter will out run most motorcycles...that is when I'm feeling evil.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Syd

Post by Syd »

It probably happens to everyone, at least once, so ignore them if you can. Once the idiots see you riding all the time they'll get bored trying to intimidate you.

Or, get a fullface helmet (and ear plugs to save your hearing) so you can't hear them. Out of hearing out of mind, right?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

You're in college. College guys are testosterone and alcohol fueled idiots.

I suspect half of them think you're cute on the scooter. The other half are simply neanderthals.

Who cares what they think? As long as you're having fun and enjoying yourself, ignore them.

I'm male and I occasionally get rude remarks when I'm riding as well. Typically from people under the age of 25.

Water off the ducks back.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

What every one said. Not many Harley riders I know have done 4 days and 1,000 miles including a wipe out on a Italian shopping cart with 13 inch wheels. I take internal pride in that.

For what it's worth, I am 6 feet 230 lbs bearded. I do get the comments and the snickers from friends and people on the street. What do they know? I bet if they ever had a comparison ride, they would get it immediately.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Youth is wasted on the young...

Enjoy your buddy and screw them. People mock me all the time, and I love my buddy. I'm only a 5'7" but I'm built, very tattooed, and a former martial arts instructor. I just wave.

People also mock my honda motorcycle, but pulling away from a light, few can keep up with either bike, and I rest easy knowing that I get 70-80mpg.
george54

Post by george54 »

k1dude wrote:You're in college. College guys are testosterone and alcohol fueled idiots.

I suspect half of them think you're cute on the scooter. The other half are simply neanderthals.

Who cares what they think? As long as you're having fun and enjoying yourself, ignore them.

I'm male and I occasionally get rude remarks when I'm riding as well. Typically from people under the age of 25.

Water off the ducks back.
I agree. Young guys are clumsy when trying to get a girl's attention. They're probably just trying to get you to look their way.
Drew

Post by Drew »

This is really interesting to me. I always thought that women had a free pass when it came to riding a scooter, and that it was the men who were ridiculed. I am 53, and I took a lot of heat from people when I first got my scooter. Now, I never get mocking comments from people who see me riding regularly. In a way, being the guy with the scooter has kind of become part of what I am known for.

Having a full-face helmet and sunglasses does help when it comes to ignoring the mockers. You can totally ignore them and they can't tell if you can hear them or not.

Try to have some prepared responses for the normal ignorant questions. When they ask when I'm getting a motorcycle, I tell them I am not interested in downgrading to a motorcycle. When they question my masculinity because I ride a scooter, I say that I don't need to compensate for any shortcomings. This is especially fun in encounters with tough guy Harley and sport bike riders.

But I'll bet I get as many nice people approach me who are just curious about my scooter. That can make up for having to deal with the jerks.

Hang in there Jackie103. It will get better as people get used to seeing you on your scooter. I like that saying attributed to Kurt Cobain: They laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at them because they are all the same.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thoughts on scooters and gender issues

Post by jrsjr »

Jackie103 wrote:...I know I shouldn't let others opinions ruin things I enjoy, but I can't help but let these types of people take the fun out of riding my scoot.
In Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M Pirsig said, “The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.” To that end, here is a thought to tuck away in the back of your mind henceforth, for whatever you are doing...
Attachments
eleanor-roosevelt-no-one-can-make-you-feel-inferior-without-your-consent.jpg
eleanor-roosevelt-no-one-can-make-you-feel-inferior-without-your-consent.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Jackie103

Post by Jackie103 »

Thanks for all the responses guys, They're all very helpful. I'm about to go for a ride (in daylight haha). I find that it is much easier when carrying a passenger. I guess I feel less self conscious when I'm with someone else.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

More than likely they are only trying to get your attention in a typically immature manner. In theory it might be worse if you went completely unnoticed. Also, you're at Penn State. I graduated from Pitt (1968) and we treated our female colleagues with only the highest respect (if I recall that correctly).

:)
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

As a college-aged woman myself, I can attest to your annoyance 10000000%! I go to school in downtown Atlanta, GA (slightly "rougher" than the neighborhoods surrounding the actual city) and guys are constantly yelling things like, "Hey lemme get a ride on that thing." and "Lemme get on the back." (And they often make it quite obvious that they're not talking 100% about the scooter.) I don't let it take a toll on my self esteem, but it definitely skeeves me out. I've learned to just put it in the back of my mind and get back to enjoying my ride. Every once in a while the gross feeling doesn't go away immediately, but how much I love my scoot outweighs their dumb and eye-roll-worthy comments. :roll:

Plus it helps knowing that these particular guys probably don't even have wheels of their own. Just know that you have more guts than any of those jerks to be out riding a two-wheeler and ride proud!
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

It's not a gender thing it's a "young idiots" thing. My advice is give them a big smile and wave. They'll think (1) you didn't understand what was said; a wasted display of their wit lol, (2) you think they are just too silly and idiotic to take seriously: thus a fruitless testosterone/alcohol display, or (3) you are just having too much fun to let them bring you down. They can only ruin your fun if you let them. DON'T LET THEM! Refuse to give them any power, keep it for yourself. As an older female I'm amazed by how many guys WANT to talk scooters/bikes with me, give me a wave/smile or cut me a break in traffic. At your age I'm afraid there is still an awful lot of immaturity and posturing that goes on while everyone finds their way. Try finding other scooter riders and gang up a la Larry Crowne for fun! Hang in there, it's your life don't be afraid to live it how you want!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I was in a parade on Saint Patricks day with some friends.

Someone Jeered from the crowd watching that we ride like girls.

So I showed em.

I rode the rest of the parade side saddle on my Stella ;)

BTW Ear Plugs work great to block out stupid people, And they save your ears from engine and wind noise too. Win/Win!
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

I hear you so much about the gender issues spilling over into scooter riding. Catcalling is hard enough when you're walking down the street, but when you're exposed with no windows to roll up and stuck at a stop light you're considered fair game. It happens to me all the time, and it has nothing to do with me, or you, or what we look like, or what we're wearing. It has everything to do with the people who are making those remarks and the fact that they don't see us as threatening because 1 - we're women and 2 - our chosen mode of transportation is freaking adorable.
That doesn't make it ok by any stretch of the imagination, but that does mean that it's not about you. It's all about the people who are low enough to make these remarks. You should feel awesome riding your scooter because you're getting out there and doing something that these guys would probably be terrified to try, and quite frankly you probably look and feel pretty badass doing it.
Jackie103

Post by Jackie103 »

Elder Scoot wrote:More than likely they are only trying to get your attention in a typically immature manner. In theory it might be worse if you went completely unnoticed. Also, you're at Penn State. I graduated from Pitt (1968) and we treated our female colleagues with only the highest respect (if I recall that correctly).

:)
Hahahah good one :wink:
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Never had any issue with those dung beetles around here, so far.
Ignore the ignorant.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

It gets great mileage, its fun and try it you might like it... R
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

If I had a dollar for every time I heard ( why don't you ride a REAL BIKE I could retire from my job. I tell them it only take money to ride a Harley on the highway but it tanks balls to ride a scooter
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I, too, would feel upset. It's offensive and surprising. It's not about you or even the scooter. They want to cat call from a safe distance. I didn't think men did that anymore. It's seems kind of lame, backward,. I would not acknowledge them. A full face helmet would probably help, but of course you shouldn't have to do that. It'd be nice to stop the scoot, and beat the crap out of them, but the law won't allow that, and that's doing thing the hard way, anyway.
This sounds flaky, but I'd ask the Universe for an uneventful ride, free of name calling, verbal abuse, and practice feeling what that would be like. In other words, use the Law of Attraction to get the kind of scooter ride you'd like. It's worth a try.
george54

Post by george54 »

ucandoit wrote:I, too, would feel upset. It's offensive and surprising. It's not about you or even the scooter. They want to cat call from a safe distance. I didn't think men did that anymore. It's seems kind of lame, backward,. I would not acknowledge them. A full face helmet would probably help, but of course you shouldn't have to do that. It'd be nice to stop the scoot, and beat the crap out of them, but the law won't allow that, and that's doing thing the hard way, anyway.
This sounds flaky, but I'd ask the Universe for an uneventful ride, free of name calling, verbal abuse, and practice feeling what that would be like. In other words, use the Law of Attraction to get the kind of scooter ride you'd like. It's worth a try.
So, you would take offense and be upset for some catcalling from a distance, but you feel OK with beating the crap out of them? SMH....
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

There are so many great comments within this thread, I couldn't begin to quote them all. I'm old enough to be your dad. As you can see in my signature block, I ride a BMW R1200 RT. It's a pretty big motorcycle. Also, I have a buddy 170i. Honestly, I have more fun :D on my Buddy.

My son, who is finishing his last semester at North Dakota State University, would love! to have my Buddy on campus.

Ride what you like and enjoy it. People who offer "cat calls" are not worth your time. Or, concern. A true friend will lift you up, and support you in your aspirations.

Be Safe. Someone loves you. Study hard. It's your future. Have fun. You deserve it. I used to tell my children as they were in High school and college. Ride your Buddy! Have fun!
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Syd wrote:get a fullface helmet (and ear plugs to save your hearing) so you can't hear them. Out of hearing out of mind, right?

That's how I ride, so I see a lot of smiles and some waves. When people do yell at me I can't understand them but I assume they are saying "Hey nice moped, how many miles per gallon do you get?"
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

scootERIK wrote:
Syd wrote:get a fullface helmet (and ear plugs to save your hearing) so you can't hear them. Out of hearing out of mind, right?

That's how I ride, so I see a lot of smiles and some waves. When people do yell at me I can't understand them but I assume they are saying "Hey nice moped, how many miles per gallon do you get?"
I'd get upset if someone called my scooter a moped...lol
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Sometimes when the wife and I ride she will take the CanAm Spyder and I will take the powder blue Buddy trike. I get the best looks from people! Did find a photo of us with me on the Spyder/her on Buddy at All Out Cycles Facebook page under photos/2014. Ride and smile, thats why you own a scooter!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Invisibleanomaly wrote:I hear you so much about the gender issues spilling over into scooter riding. Catcalling is hard enough when you're walking down the street, but when you're exposed with no windows to roll up and stuck at a stop light you're considered fair game.
Yeah... sometimes it gets under my skin and makes me question what decade I'm in -- and sometimes it makes me feel vulnerable/exposed/threatened. The latter is the part that is harder to deal with. In someways I think the scooter makes it more likely for people to feel more distanced from you, like you're a scooter, not a real human, and their words won't be heard or have impact.

I wear a FF helmet, sunglasses, leather or armored jacket, and gloves... this helps me feel like I have a tougher skin so to speak and that I'm more invisible (like they can't see my face/the real me under the outfit).

I'm not sure how to avoid it on a college campus, but I do choose my routes based on avoiding certain roads with a row of bars or lots of men loitering around. There are usually routes to help avoid at least some of it.
Scooter Commuter
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

"So, you would take offense and be upset for some catcalling from a distance, but you feel OK with beating the crap out of them? SMH...."

George 54---You are vastly underestimating "some cat calling". That's all fine and dandy if you're at a party, with people you know, and it's done in good fun, face to face.
But I agree with Sunshinen--It can be threatening and depressing and you really do wonder what decade you're living it. Some men just don't "get it". They don't understand how VULNERABLE young women feel.
Of course I'm not going to "beat the crap" out of them, as I wrote. It's just something you wish you could do, like what you'd want to do to a bully who keeps tormenting you. I'm an older woman and it would take a lot of ire for me to attempt to beat on someone. But again, some men just "don't get it". They think it's innocent fun, and don't comprehend the vulnerability, fear, and hurt women feel.
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

Absolutely. Women aren't objects and our bodies aren't open for public comment. Not that anybodies should be, however a woman is far more likely to face some kind of sexual harassment on a casual day to day basis, and for some reason being on a scooter makes a woman seem like an easy target to some men.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

george54 wrote:
ucandoit wrote:I, too, would feel upset. It's offensive and surprising. It's not about you or even the scooter. They want to cat call from a safe distance. I didn't think men did that anymore. It's seems kind of lame, backward,. I would not acknowledge them. A full face helmet would probably help, but of course you shouldn't have to do that. It'd be nice to stop the scoot, and beat the crap out of them, but the law won't allow that, and that's doing thing the hard way, anyway.
So, you would take offense and be upset for some catcalling from a distance, but you feel OK with beating the crap out of them? SMH....
"some catcalling from a distance..." Let's not trivialize this. Street harassment IS offensive and can be very threatening.

Let's remember that scooter jackings (of both genders) are easier than car jackings and do occur, and that women typically appear to be an easier target than men.

And let's remember how many women are assaulted, especially on college campuses, and that it is very difficult for women to tell the difference between a "harmless" taunt and the guy who will jump you if given the opportunity.

I think many men who would never hurt a woman don't see how dangerous some of the types of men who catcall and harass women really are -- they don't see how some of those men behave towards women when no one else is around to witness or help stop their behavior.
ucandoit wrote: It's just something you wish you could do, like what you'd want to do to a bully who keeps tormenting you.
Exactly. When someone taunts and harasses you, it causes your adrenaline to spike. When someone triggers that fight or flight response... the instinct or the fantasy is often to want to fight back to make that feeling stop (even when you would never really do so or know that it would be a losing battle for you.)
Scooter Commuter
Slam

Post by Slam »

For what it's worth, you are better people then they are. You're cool scooterists having fun with your lives and they are trying to find happiness through making others miserable. You've totally won, so just ignore them.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

All the effort and expense invested in teaching people how to be civil to each other isn't nearly as effective as having Dad smack you across the back of the head or Mom bean you with a shoe.

Alas, some little boys grow up to be men, and some just don't grow up.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Guys will make fun of Salma Hayek riding a Harley. Do what you like to do and ignore the highly vocal, yet insecure people.
If I cared what people thought, I would be riding a Harley or Victory. Approval from your peers is ephemeral, so don't dedicate too much effort and treasure towards it.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
3angieyou

Post by 3angieyou »

With the gear I wear, the FF helmet and my short hair, I get called "fag" while riding my Stella constantly. Instead of being offended, I've kept tally from summer to summer to see if I can beat my record. This summer I'm down :(
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I'm out here where jacked up ford f-150 4x4's, mossy oak cammo tee's, Levi's, browning ball caps and ECV window decals rule...

As the closest thing to a "MOD" :roll: seen here (cream stella, black flyscreen, black cowel covers, chrome front/back racks that I spent a great deal of time/energy creating what my mind's eye envisioned) I can tell you there is always someone that will teardown anything nice you try and have and make you feel like crap, like it's your fault they have to do that.

But for every redneck jerk wad that does that, I am finding 3x more that love it and ask where I got it and straight up tell me they are jealous or simply remember having old school scooters 'back in the day'... they're out there, find the campus parking where others are and talk to them, look up a local scooter club.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

As others have said. You KNOW you are the cool one on the scooter. They are just older high school bullies who are jealous. Feel pity for them and ride on...with a smile.

Whether I am on my Kawasaki, my Triumph, or my Stella does NOT determine if I am the cool guy to wave to that day. Too bad for them if they don't get it.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

unfortunately you are dealing with male children in adult bodies...remember that you cannot control how other people behave to you; do your best to ignore it and not let it bring you down; if you wish to address the issue and have the behavior eliminated then catch them on video several times and submit a complaint with Penn State ?police/security? or State College Police;

in the past I have had weird shit yelled at me while riding my scooter...after the initial anger at the name calling I would pray for patience and tolerance for the other people's bad behavior (usually within a day or two I would completely forget that it happened); still happens when I am on my small motorcycle (though not as much) and I just wave or nod and keep riding...

have fun riding and enjoy life!
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Jackie103

Post by Jackie103 »

just went riding to the library... a guy in a car at a stop light yelled "hey" and after i ignored him, he whistled at me and then yelled "i like your bike". pretended i didn't hear him. total silence after that. :lol:
DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

Forgettaboutit, I get called fag all the time riding my scoot, always from teen/twenty boys.
libwitch

Post by libwitch »

I notice that I get more catcalls and rude comments when I am riding without gear on (I have only done it a handful of times -- when I actually felt like I was going to overheat). I notice that people tend to throwing glances but I don't get the comments when I am my coat/riding gloves (particularly the coat). I don't know if the coat just makes more gender-neutral or what.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Seriously Jackie103? Good luck in life.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

ScooterDave wrote:Seriously Jackie103? Good luck in life.
You obviously have no idea what it's like to be a woman, which is a-ok, but try not to speak on something you have no idea about. :)
george54

Post by george54 »

laurfunkle wrote:
You obviously have no idea what it's like to be a woman, which is a-ok, but try not to speak on something you have no idea about. :)
Seriously, laur? The way Jackie posted it, it seemed quite innocent to me, and probably to Dave too. Maybe the guy DID just like the scooter, maybe he was just saying "Hi" maybe he WAS trying to flirt?

I didn't read any rudeness into it. So a guy tells you he likes your scooter. What should you do, kick him in the crotch? :shock:
Last edited by george54 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

george54 wrote:
laurfunkle wrote:
Well, the way Jackie posted it, it seemed quite innocent to me, and probably to Dave too. Maybe the guy DID like the scooter, maybe he was just saying "Hi" maybe he WAS trying to flirt? I didn't read any rudeness into it. Jeez, can't people just say "Hi" anymore?
My bad, I certainly am not meaning to start anything! I've just been on the wrong side of cat calling on my scoot and although I try not to let it get to me, some of the people that do it could very well (and sometimes obviously) have malicious intent. Maybe I did indeed take it the wrong way. More coffee please! :wink:
george54

Post by george54 »

Having my second cup now! :D
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

laurfunkle wrote:
george54 wrote:
laurfunkle wrote: You obviously have no idea what it's like to be a woman, which is a-ok, but try not to speak on something you have no idea about. :)
Well, the way Jackie posted it, it seemed quite innocent to me, and probably to Dave too. Maybe the guy DID like the scooter, maybe he was just saying "Hi" maybe he WAS trying to flirt? I didn't read any rudeness into it. Jeez, can't people just say "Hi" anymore?
My bad, I certainly am not meaning to start anything! I've just been on the wrong side of cat calling on my scoot and although I try not to let it get to me, some of the people that do it could very well (and sometimes obviously) have malicious intent. Maybe I did indeed take it the wrong way. More coffee please! :wink:
I wouldn't worry about apologizing. The OP wrote, "...these college guys will be rude to me while I'm riding. They'll yell obscene things at me or say things that make me feel like they are mocking or making fun of me." Her post was not rude, nor did she discribe rude or obscene acts or comments. It's her judgement and hers alone to determine what is rude or obscene. Dave was not there. I was not there. It's pretty tough to belittle someone's feelings regarding specific events when you are not there to witness the act or comments.
2012 BMW R1200RT
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

laurfunkle wrote:
george54 wrote:
laurfunkle wrote: You obviously have no idea what it's like to be a woman, which is a-ok, but try not to speak on something you have no idea about. :)
I wouldn't worry about apologizing. The OP wrote, "...these college guys will be rude to me while I'm riding. They'll yell obscene things at me or say things that make me feel like they are mocking or making fun of me." Her post was not rude, nor did she discribe rude or obscene acts or comments. It's her judgement and hers alone to determine what is rude or obscene. Dave was not there. I was not there. It's pretty tough to belittle someone's feelings regarding specific events when you are not there to witness the act or comments.
2012 BMW R1200RT
george54

Post by george54 »

ModernMike wrote:
laurfunkle wrote:
george54 wrote: Well, the way Jackie posted it, it seemed quite innocent to me, and probably to Dave too. Maybe the guy DID like the scooter, maybe he was just saying "Hi" maybe he WAS trying to flirt? I didn't read any rudeness into it. Jeez, can't people just say "Hi" anymore?
Mike, Dave and I were basing our replies solely on jackie103's LATEST post - Wednesday Sept. 9th- and not her first post. Yes, the first one referenced an instance that contained rudeness. Jackie later on related a story that I did not see as containing obvious rudeness. Maybe his intent was rudeness, but it saw it as at best, a friendly "hello" (maybe awkward due to the short time one has when someone is passing by on a scooter ) and, at worst, an attempt at flirtation.