any one ever herd of an Arias scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

still shifting

any one ever herd of an Arias scooter?

Post by still shifting »

Saw one at a local dealer and havent found any thing on line. So I thought I would toss this question out here. Thanks R
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Does this local dealer sell several brands that most of us have never heard of? I ask as it is very common for importers to brand inexpensive Chinese built scooters with whatever name they like and resell them in the US. Sometimes they are imported legally, and sometimes not. Usually there is little or no support from the manufacturer or the importer.
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

I think you mean Aria. The manufacturer is listed as SSR Motorcycles out in California. Apparently Scooterworks carries them. If you go to the SSR Motorcycle website you can see their scooter lineup, which is fairly extensive. I don't think that SSR actually builds them. Also, they are pricier than a Chinese scoot. SSR has a relationship with Bennelli, and you can kind of see the Bennelli influence, so I think they may be the real manufacturer. They have some interesting scoots.
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

SSR is also associated with Keeway, and these scoots look a lot like Keeway's with a different name. Kind of expensive for a China scoot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Greyscoot wrote:SSR is also associated with Keeway, and these scoots look a lot like Keeway's with a different name. Kind of expensive for a China scoot.
I think you have it right. Though with Chinascoots you never know for sure as there are so many interlocking companies. Even Benelli is a subsidiary of a large Chinese corporation these days.

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/SSR1 ... c-aria.htm
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

China's manufacturers can make things with quality levels from laughable to matching some of the best coming out of Japan. A good example are the Apple products; guess where they're made...
It all depends on what price point that item is being sold at. So there's a good chance that these Aria scooters may be decent, but then there's no guarantee the quality matches the price.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

And I'm absolutely certain that there was no intention of creating the impression of somehow being associated with Arai helmets.

Homda anyone?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

You'll have to ask yourself this question - when that shop closes down, how are you going to get parts?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:It all depends on what price point that item is being sold at. So there's a good chance that these Aria scooters may be decent, but then there's no guarantee the quality matches the price.
The price appears to be $1,239.95 (see link above). That is less than 1/2 the price of a 125 Buddy and less than 1/3 the price of a 150 Vespa Primavera. At your measure, that doesn't exactly scream quality - let alone parts availability and a solid warranty - which would be my other concerns.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Dooglas wrote:
babblefish wrote:It all depends on what price point that item is being sold at. So there's a good chance that these Aria scooters may be decent, but then there's no guarantee the quality matches the price.
The price appears to be $1,239.95 (see link above). That is less than 1/2 the price of a 125 Buddy and less than 1/3 the price of a 150 Vespa Primavera. At your measure, that doesn't exactly scream quality - let alone parts availability and a solid warranty - which would be my other concerns.
True. Thats not a lot of money for a new scooter. Engine wise, its probably a "true" GY6 clone which means easy parts supply. Of course, you're on your own when it comes to chassis parts. Similar priced scooters around here have a 90 day warranty, and if I remember correctly, applies only to parts, not labor.
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

I have had some firsthand experience with an SSR dealer, and have a friend who ended up with an SSR scooter and a lot of regrets. The dealer and the friend both advised me to keep a toolbox on the scooter in case parts came loose while riding. The dealer also said that it's not meant to be ridden long distances or at speeds over 30-40 mph despite being a 150cc. Apparently they're all the same exact scooter with different body styles?

Not having owned one I can't say how accurate it all was, but it seemed a little iffy to me when coming straight from the person who sold them.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Thanks for the feed back, I do think I will try a test drive. But that won't answer the long range quality question will it? R
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You have to ask yourself this question: what is the scooter really worth? If it's being sold for about $1200, subtract dealer profit, manufacturers profit, import taxes, and shipping cost, you might end up with a $400-500 scooter. Hope you have some mechanical skills ☺

I'm not trying to discourage you because I was thinking about getting a cheap Chinese scooter myself just to mess around with, but then, I have a bit of mechanical skills so am not too worried about the short warranty.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Babblefish you are correct. That price break down is a good way to look at it. Today my daily driver is a Honda Sh150i good quality.high reliability. I know the lesson you are speaking of, but still I can dream cant I? R
george54

Post by george54 »

When everyone advises you that the first things you should do after buying a cheap Chinese scooter is to change all the fluids because nobody knows what the heck they filled it with; and to re-tighten every bolt and nut and screw, and use Locktite on the important ones, you have to ask yourself, just how many places did they cut corners? Steering? Brakes? Engine?