Both feet dont touch ground... can I still carry passenger?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jackie103

Both feet dont touch ground... can I still carry passenger?

Post by Jackie103 »

I have a buddy 50 and I'm roughly 5' 1". Usually, both feet can't touch the ground when I come to a stop and I have to lean the bike towards one side in order to firmly put one foot down. I can sometimes place two feet down but I'm on my tippy toes.

I really don't want to shell out 100 or something dollars to get a low profile seat, but I also want to be able to carry a passenger... I have tried to carry a passenger once and the weight was too much since I had to tip the bike to one side. I couldn't hold the bike up and am a bit scared about carrying a passenger ever since then because I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Can anyone give me any tips? And if it's even a possibility of being able to carry a passenger when I can only place one foot firmly down? :cry:
Clydeo

Low profile seat

Post by Clydeo »

IMHO, you would probably benefit from the lowered seat when hauling a passenger, but the passenger is likely to be very uncomfortable! The passenger portion of the lowered seat is rather small, and no one seems to be willing to ride back there for more than a couple of miles.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Riding 2 up isn't an easy thing. Keep in mind the weight of the passenger will also sag the rear shock more than just riding alone. So depending on the weight of the passenger, you might be able to plant your feet better than if you were riding alone.

If your passenger is taller than you, I would suggest you tell your passenger before getting on your scooter to pay attention to when you come to a stop. Tell them you'll be leaning the scooter to the left, and they need to put their left foot down to help you hold the scooter up. Tell them when you begin to move again, immediately put their foot back up on the peg.

You also might consider boots that provide some lift.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

k1dude wrote:.......You also might consider boots that provide some lift.
+1. You would be amazed what a pair of shoes/boots with 1"-1.5" soles will do. :D how large of a passenger are you expecting? 6' and 190 lbs would be a challenge for an experienced rider at 5'1"
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
Jackie103

Post by Jackie103 »

ModernMike wrote:
k1dude wrote:.......You also might consider boots that provide some lift.
+1. You would be amazed what a pair of shoes/boots with 1"-1.5" soles will do. :D how large of a passenger are you expecting? 6' and 190 lbs would be a challenge for an experienced rider at 5'1"
Actually the passenger would only be about 5' 2" and around 110 pounds. I just really want to show her the beautiful views around my hometown and what better way to do it than on a scooter!
george54

Post by george54 »

I think you already answered your own question and the answer is no. It's just too risky to head out as presently configured. As a driver, you are responsible for the safety of you, your passenger, and others on the road- drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists. You need to be able to stop safely and quickly anywhere at any time, regardless of road type or character. Some combination of a low seat and boots should be explored and tested before you try it.

Roads are seldom always flat and without debris. I think it's important to be able to put both feet down when carrying the extra weight of a passenger.
170Irene

Post by 170Irene »

I agree with George54. Both feet need to be on the ground. My scooter has both the low profile seat and the smaller shock. I'm 5'4" and with these two accommodations my scooter is a comfortable fit. Thus I feel more confident riding it.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Both feet dont touch ground... can I still carry passeng

Post by ScooterDave »

Jackie103 wrote:I really don't want to shell out 100 or something dollars to get a low profile seat, but I also want to be able to carry a passenger... I have tried to carry a passenger once and the weight was too much since I had to tip the bike to one side. I couldn't hold the bike up and am a bit scared about carrying a passenger ever since then because I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Can anyone give me any tips? And if it's even a possibility of being able to carry a passenger when I can only place one foot firmly down? :cry:
Seriously? There are so many comments I want to make here but, I am really doing my best to hold back.

You have 3 options.

1. Buy a sidecar
2. Buy a different seat
3. Go ahead and do it but, increase your insurance because you are going to kill someone.
Jackie103

Re: Both feet dont touch ground... can I still carry passeng

Post by Jackie103 »

Last edited by Jackie103 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

As a possible no-cost option, have you considered shaving the seat foam? If you're reasonably crafty, this is could only cost you some of your time and a few staples:

topic6243.html

The tread pictures are missing, but the instructions are decent.

Here's a vid which covers the same ground. It's a motorcycle, but the same process applies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw_E5DLo7gk#t=118
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

On flat-footing being a must... I tiptoe it all the time (by myself). Once I got comfortable riding and comfortable with the Buddy, this isn't a problem at all. But +1 that boots with a heel are great, especially as you're learning and getting comfortable. But I wear thin-soled flat boots now all the time.

As for a passenger... As a tiny human, having a passenger is hard for me. As others have said, it's not just balancing at a stop, but turning, stopping time, etc. Their weight will affect how the vehicle handles and if they're oblivious to how their weight affects things ... it can be a real challenge.

Having someone closer to my size/weight (and it sounds like that would be your scenario), is easier, but they still need to be aware of how their weight affects your ability to control the scooter. Their also being short could be a problem too, in that they will have an even harder time reaching the ground from the back of the seat than you do from the front.

If you want to give it a go... Practice somewhere safe and fairly isolated... then make the call for yourself about whether it will work in the real world.
Last edited by sunshinen on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter Commuter
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

While you can get a complete seat/shock lower kit from Scooterworks for $247, which lowers the seat height 3", that and some 1"+ souled boots which would defiantly solve your problem, you also have to have the "leg strength" to keep it upright just in case a little tipping occurs.

http://www.scooterworks.com/blog/genuin ... ZQ7x-tfkhW
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

If you're around Boston let me know. I'm experienced with passengers (on motorcycles, and I drive a bus) Maybe you can rent your friend a 50 and you can go scootin' together!
george54

Post by george54 »

thumper650 wrote:If you're around Boston let me know. I'm experienced with passengers (on motorcycles, and I drive a bus) Maybe you can rent your friend a 50 and you can go scootin' together!
That's what I was going to suggest also... Have tour friend try out a 50cc and then ride with you. Probably no M/C license required.
Clydeo

Two-up

Post by Clydeo »

Riding two up is always a challenge, regardless of your height/size. It takes practice to ride comfortably with someone. Even though my wife and I have ridden for thousands of miles together, when someone else hops on the back of the bike, I still have to go through a period where I learn to adjust to the new rider. Especially on the Buddy 50, where any shifting of weight at all has a profound impact on the bike. But I wouldn't let that keep me from riding two up. Being able to carry someone else makes your scooter far more useful than it would be otherwise. And using two scooters simply isn't always an option.
I would suggest that you try sitting on a Buddy with a lowered seat at a shop first, as that is the cheapest/easiest option. My daughter is your height, and she won't ride unless the lower seat is on the bike. If the lower seat suits you, it will be worth the price, as it will make all of your riding more enjoyable.
Secondly, as others have said, practice in a safe, quiet area. Wear all of your protective gear (the passenger, too) and just tool around in an area without traffic until you feel confident and comfortable, and your passenger feels the same way.
Short women have been riding scooters in other parts of the world for decades, often with loads that can only be described as incredible. It's not unusual to see a tiny mom carrying 3-4 kids on a bike, along with a weeks worth of groceries. If they can do that, You can certainly learn how to carry a passenger. Just be careful, and work up to it slowly.
babblefish

Re: Two-up

Post by babblefish »

Clydeo wrote:<snip>
Short women have been riding scooters in other parts of the world for decades, often with loads that can only be described as incredible. It's not unusual to see a tiny mom carrying 3-4 kids on a bike, along with a weeks worth of groceries. If they can do that, You can certainly learn how to carry a passenger. Just be careful, and work up to it slowly.
You mean like this? Haha, I used to work and live in Taiwan so I've seen it all and more.
Attachments
scootervietnam.jpg
scootervietnam.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Who's driving anyhow?
Who's driving anyhow?
hanoi_vietnam_06.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
scooters-4.jpg
scooters-4.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
4onascooter1.JPG
4onascooter1.JPG (62.81 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
familyscooter.jpg
familyscooter.jpg (55.83 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
5-on-a-scooter.jpg
5-on-a-scooter.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm driving that scooter. They needed a lift to Shihlin Market. It was tough, but someone had to do it. :P
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

The adults in the above photos wearing helmets while their children do not is hilarious and sad simultaneously.
Jackie103

Post by Jackie103 »

Wow hahhah those pictures are crazy. I would definitely buy the shorter seat, except the closest motorcycle shop near me involves going on the highway... And my dad is sick of putting it in the van since we don't have a car with a hitch. What tools do I need to install the new seat? I have no mechanical skills at all...
Clydeo

Lower seat

Post by Clydeo »

You can pick up the seat and put it on yourself. Open the seat up, remove two nuts from the bolts in the front of the seat with pliers or an adjustable wrench. Put the new seat in place and replace the nuts. It takes maybe a minute, and does not require any mechanical ability whatsoever!
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Jackie103 wrote:Wow hahhah those pictures are crazy. I would definitely buy the shorter seat, except the closest motorcycle shop near me involves going on the highway... And my dad is sick of putting it in the van since we don't have a car with a hitch. What tools do I need to install the new seat? I have no mechanical skills at all...
It's super easy to install a new seat. Definitely no need to take it in to the shop. Open the seat, look at the hinge. Those are the only two bolts that need to be removed to take the seat off. I have a couple of seats that I change out intermittently depending on my ride/mood (ha) and I'm no mechanic either. It's very easy!
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

BeefSupreme wrote:The adults in the above photos wearing helmets while their children do not is hilarious and sad simultaneously.
I was thinking the exact same thing! Totally nuts.
Jackie103

Post by Jackie103 »

Thanks guys! I'm going to look into it... I'm about 5' 1".. Do you think the the seat will be enough? Because lowering the shock seems much more complicated and more advanced haha :oops:
Clydeo

Two feet

Post by Clydeo »

We bought the Buddy for our daughter because it was the only bike that fit her. She is 5 foot tall, and her legs are relatively short. With the lowered seat, both of her feet are firmly (and flatly, if that's a word) planted on the ground. But your bike dealer should have a bike with a lowered seat for you to try out for size. If not, he might be willing to pull one out of storage and fit it on a bike for you: "installing" the seat takes no time at all ( as stated above). You will want to try the seat put ahead of time, if possible.
We were afraid that we might need a lower shock, but discovered it wasn't needed. Having both seats is nice, because then you can change them as needed to fit different people.
Jackie103

Re: Two feet

Post by Jackie103 »

Clydeo wrote:We bought the Buddy for our daughter because it was the only bike that fit her. She is 5 foot tall, and her legs are relatively short. With the lowered seat, both of her feet are firmly (and flatly, if that's a word) planted on the ground. But your bike dealer should have a bike with a lowered seat for you to try out for size. If not, he might be willing to pull one out of storage and fit it on a bike for you: "installing" the seat takes no time at all ( as stated above). You will want to try the seat put ahead of time, if possible.
We were afraid that we might need a lower shock, but discovered it wasn't needed. Having both seats is nice, because then you can change them as needed to fit different people.
you give me hope!! thanks, I'm gonna check it out!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I think all you need is a 11mm wrench and as someone else stated just a few short minutes to do the seat swap.
Go for it, 'twas the best thing done for a friend of mine who rides a Blur...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Yes, just remove the nut from the bolt on the hinge and remove the stock seat. Then pop the new seat in place and reinstall the bolt and nut. It's a five minute job tops.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Here is a post I made about making a custom low profile seat out of a stock Buddy seat for my wife: viewtopic.php?t=23595&highlight=seat

When she bought her new Italia 170i, I convinced the shop to throw in a low profile seat at no extra cost thinking that we could pass the one I made along to whoever bought her Buddy 50. Since the buyer was about 6'2", he didn't have a lot of use for the low profile seat to say the least.
Last edited by thatvwbusguy on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

thatvwbusguy wrote:Here is a post I made about making a custom low profile seat out of a stock Buddy seat for my wife: viewtopic.php?t=23595&highlight=seat

When she bought her new Italia 170i, I convinced the shop to throw in a low profile seat at no extra cost thinking that we could pass the one I made along to whoever bought her Buddy 50. Since the buyer was about 6'2", he didn't have a lot of use for the low profile seat to say the least.

I still have the custom low profile seat and will sell it for $50.00 including shipping in the US: topic28927.html
That's a heck of a good deal on the seat.
At 5'7", I consider myself normal height.(:P), but my Blur is just bit tall for me, though I really don't have any issues riding it.
I looked at getting a low profile seat from PGO, but they want $185 for it, plus I'd lose storage space. :shock: I'm planning on going the DIY route and shaving some of the foam off my stock seat on my own.

Luckily, I usually don't carry more than 2-3 passengers with me. :lol:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Just buy the stock low profile seat. I had one on my buddy and my inseam is 29 inches and it worked perfectly.

Changed my whole experience of riding.

BTW, it's not "height", but "inseam" (measurement from crotch to bottom of foot) that matters in seat height.

SO...did you solve your problem? Inquiring minds want to know...

:lol:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

170Irene wrote:I agree with George54. Both feet need to be on the ground. My scooter has both the low profile seat and the smaller shock. I'm 5'4" and with these two accommodations my scooter is a comfortable fit. Thus I feel more confident riding it.
While neither of us carrying passengers, this whole thread got me thinking about how I can make my GF's riding experience more pleasurable. I've noticed that, coming to a stop, she has to lean or reach with the tip of her toes. I have experience riding scooters and motorcycles. She is new to the experience.

So, I've invested in a low shock and seat for my second buddy. Install of the seat should be easy peasy. Does anyone have some advice or reference for the shock install? I purchased from scooterville in Minneapolis, but it appears to be the same low down shock available through Scooterworks.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
Clydeo

Seat

Post by Clydeo »

Seriously, try just the seat first! It takes all of a minute to put on. Have her get on and ride ride the bike. If that works, save some $$$! If it doesn't work out, THEN look for a lower shock. I really doubt you will need it! The seat really is a LOT lower.
jlnoko

Post by jlnoko »

ModernMike wrote:
While neither of us carrying passengers, this whole thread got me thinking about how I can make my GF's riding experience more pleasurable..
Saucy devil!