Can't afford a genuine Stebel? Try this!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Can't afford a genuine Stebel? Try this!

Post by babblefish »

Hankering for a Stebel Nautilus horn, but can't afford it? Try this one: http://www.banggood.com/Car-Truck-Compa ... 22578.html
I haven't ordered one for myself yet, but thinking about it. Hey, for the price, it's worth experimenting.:)

I've seen this horn sold under different names on eBay for twice the amount.

BTW: It's a legit website. I've ordered a lot of things from there with no real issues and shipping is always free.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Hmm. You'd have to find room for it and design some sort of custom mount.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:Hmm. You'd have to find room for it and design some sort of custom mount.
If it's the same size as a Stebel, it'll fit both the Buddy and the Blur.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Is the mounting bolt size the same and in the same place on both? As in is there enough clearance around where it mounts?

It looks like a close knockoff of the Nautilus, but you never know. It's not as loud as the Stebel (139 dB vs 115 dB). Although I've seen other sites that claim the Stebel Nautilus is 114 dB. So maybe they're as loud.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

There is 2 listed db levels.What does this mean? Maybe its identical in sound to the Stebel.

Sound level @ 2m: 115dB
Sound level @ 10cm: 139dB

I wish it had many more reviews.

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

BuddyLicious wrote:There is 2 listed db levels.What does this mean? Maybe its identical in sound to the Stebel.

Tim
Like all noises you hear, it means it's louder when you're closer (10cm vs 2m).

I agree, I wish there were more reviews on it. Although at that price, I may be willing to take a chance.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Some one buy this and tell us about it please. R
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

babblefish wrote:
BuddyLicious wrote:There is 2 listed db levels.What does this mean? Maybe its identical in sound to the Stebel.

Tim
Like all noises you hear, it means it's louder when you're closer (10cm vs 2m).

I agree, I wish there were more reviews on it. Although at that price, I may be willing to take a chance.
It shows to be the same spec as the real Stebel Nautilus RED horn which is a larger size horn than the compact horns that came in the International Buddy’s.

This could be a knock off as there are no markings noted on the unit and you may have a tough time making it fit "under the hood" so to speak.

Nautilus Red “Urban Cool Sound”
Size: 6.1"(154mm) x 4.4"(112mm) x 3.9"(100mm)

Nautilus Compact “Rough & Tough Sound”
Size: 4.9"(125mm) x 4.4"(112mm) x 3" (78mm) Compact

But for those who really want to be heard, try this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ0Jrc05rIo
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I just ordered some FIAMM's for my motorcycle. These are basically slightly smaller versions of their Freeway Blasters; one high tone and one low tone. I will wire them up with a direct feed from the battery through a Bosch relay so the horn switch only trips the relay. You gotta be careful putting extra power through your horn switch because, even if it doesn't smoke, the contacts can get carbon coated from excess power.
I had the original compact Nautilus on my Buddy and it was great in warm weather. In cold, it would take it a while to sound until enough pressure would build up. I really didn't like the delay and I ride year-round.
One solution to the delay is to replace the tubing from the pump to the horn with something that doesn't bulge. Thicker walled stuff or even steel braided.

Here's what the FIAMM El Grande's sound like on a Honda CB650:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vEmCgvGsneU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.