which would you choose buddy 125 for $900 or BJ for 1850?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GrandpaBuddy

which would you choose buddy 125 for $900 or BJ for 1850?

Post by GrandpaBuddy »

Looking to become part of the buddy family but torn between what to get.
The 125 has 4600 miles and a little crack in the front plastic.-$900
BJ has 600 miles and is cherry with maintenance records and 2 helemts $1850.
I like the performance parts and extra cc's but work $1000? more? Thanks in advance!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

you don't mention the years of the two, but the buddy with a crack on the front fender can be easily remedied: buy a new panel (relatively cheap) or check out the For Sale forum for a used one. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
GrandpaBuddy

Post by GrandpaBuddy »

oh yeah I sure did. The 125cc is a 2008. Thanks, I would want to replace that cracked piece.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I would buy the 125 cc assuming that it ran good, I wouldn't fix anything cosmetic, and I would ride the snot out of it. The $950 would be set aside for repairs, should be enough for 4-8 years.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How much do you weigh, and what kind of riding are you planning on? Buddy 125 is a great machine that will last for years. Black Jack is a great scooter also. I'd probably buy them both, but I'm not the most well adjusted individual on this forum either.
GrandpaBuddy

Post by GrandpaBuddy »

That is so funny! You look perfectly well adjusted!! Having 2 makes sense because I can use one primarily for going to the beach with the surfboard and the other for date night lol. Alas I would have to sell my car to buy 2 ...maybe... :P
The savings are great...I will be riding as a daily driver in LA :twisted: I weight 150lbs. Thanks for all the replies Buddies!!!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At 150 you will fly on the Buddy 125. The beefy suspension on the BJ is overkill. With those miles, the 125 is a good buy.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Kinda depends on what you want. The BJ is a cool scooter. Personally I like the longer stroke on the 125 over the 150...YMMV

If it was me...Snag the 125. With the extra $900 you can get a new front fender...I wouldn't (haven't :mrgreen: ) bothered...put on a big bore kit to take it to 161cc bigger carb and pipe and still have some coin left. It will smoke a BJ.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

DeeDee wrote: I'd probably buy them both, but I'm not the most well adjusted individual on this forum either.
You need more scooters!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

$900. Sounds like a good deal and conversely there are not a whole bunch of BJ s iut there but $900 is pretty affordable. R
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I would say that both of these scooters are a decent deal. You really can't go wrong regardless of which one you choose.

As BuddyRaton mentioned you can install a 161cc kit and new exhaust for about $400.00 if you turn your own wrenches or knows someone who can help you with the job.

Having ridden a friend's Buddy 125 with a 161cc kit and Prima exhaust for a few hundred miles compared to my wife's 2014 170i (totally stock), I would probably go for the hopped up 125 and a savings of $600.00.

For an exhaust, I like the NCY black exhaust over the chrome Prima pipe, but that is a personal choice based on exhaust volume and tone (the NCY is quieter). Some people think that an exhaust has to be loud to flow well, but that is definitely not the case. The stock exhaust would probably even be fine with the 161cc kit, but I haven't owned or ridden that combo, so I can't offer an objective opinion.

With a little bit of variator tuning, the 161cc kit on a Buddy 125 will be quicker than most people would ever expect and should be quicker than a stock Black Jack.

At 150lbs, the stock suspension and brakes should be more than adequate for you. Upgrading shocks on a scooter is one of the worst returns on investment that I have found unless you want to throw down big bucks. Experience with lots of different aftermarket shocks has convinced me that "performance shocks" generally equates to "ouch" when you hit a decent bump.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
MYSCTR

BLACK JACK

Post by MYSCTR »

BLACK JACK
BLACK JACK
BLACK JACK
BLACK JACK
BLACK JACK

That is what I would do… don't matter if it was Tuesday or Friday or even Sunday or any day in between I would be all over the BLACK JACK

(forget the helmets - make an offer just for the bike, save maybe another $100)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I still want a Blackjack, and my machine is basically a Blackjack with Italia panels :P.
toot

Post by toot »

Buy the Black Jack. I have had the 125, 170i, and now a Black Jack that had 900 miles. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. It handles better than any one.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Big question, are you new to scootering or anything on 2 wheels? If so I'd say the 125, that extra grand can fix up the scooter, get some accessories if needed (rear rack, windshield etc) and good riding gear. If you are familiar and have your own gear already, i'd say the BJ.
GrandpaBuddy

Post by GrandpaBuddy »

Wow yall are so great for taking time to chime in on this for me! Much appreciated!! (I can feel the scootergy starting to pump through my veins)

I am questioning the suspension on the BJ if it might be overkill at 150lbs.

I would definitely upgrade the pipe and rollers on the 125 almost immediately but adding a bbk to it seems like going down a (fun) black hole of scooter upgrades...I just don't want to be constantly tinkering, more like set it and go kind of guy. I don't know "jack" about tuning carbs either.

I have had street bikes in the past and rode a dirt bike for a couple years so this will not be my first rodeo on two wheels but it will be my first scoot! :atgatt:

The BJ is so clean and calling out to me but so is the $950 in savings that even after a few upgrades would still be +$700.
Looks aside, it sounds like what it comes down to is the 25cc difference stock (which might not even be missed, especially with longer stroke of the 125cc) and the suspension upgrades. Wish I could buy both and decide later after riding them for a while....Anybody running a buddy buddy charity? HAH
skipper20

Re: which would you choose buddy 125 for $900 or BJ for 1850

Post by skipper20 »

GrandpaBuddy wrote:Looking to become part of the buddy family but torn between what to get.
The 125 has 4600 miles and a little crack in the front plastic.-$900
BJ has 600 miles and is cherry with maintenance records and 2 helemts $1850.
I like the performance parts and extra cc's but work $1000? more? Thanks in advance!
Get the Blackjack as it's an incredible bargain at $1850 with only 600 miles and in showroom condition. You won't be disappointed. Or, buy both and keep the one you like best. Sell the other one and you'll be $ ahead for sure.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The blackjack handles well due to the suspension upgrades. Those are worth a few bones alone.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

GrandpaBuddy wrote:I am questioning the suspension on the BJ if it might be overkill at 150lbs.

I don't know "jack" about tuning carbs either.

The BJ is so clean and calling out to me… Looks aside, it sounds like what it comes down to is the 25cc difference stock (which might not even be missed, especially with longer stroke of the 125cc) and the suspension upgrades. Wish I could buy both and decide later after riding them for a while....Anybody running a buddy buddy charity? HAH
The rear shock is tunable to your weight and riding style.

Good reason to get the BJ - just ride it!

Here is another idea… get them both, ship the BJ to me in Texas, I will store it in my garage, ride it to keep it happy, do all the maintenance it needs, all at no charge to you! he he
KrispyKreme

To the OP.

Post by KrispyKreme »

If you have the $ you can get that BlackJack seller down a few hundred.

The BlackJack is nice. Upgrades make it worth it. Sweet ride and I say go for it!

Edit-My next post is #666. Spooky...........
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

MYSCTR wrote:
GrandpaBuddy wrote:I am questioning the suspension on the BJ if it might be overkill at 150lbs.

I don't know "jack" about tuning carbs either.

The BJ is so clean and calling out to me… Looks aside, it sounds like what it comes down to is the 25cc difference stock (which might not even be missed, especially with longer stroke of the 125cc) and the suspension upgrades. Wish I could buy both and decide later after riding them for a while....Anybody running a buddy buddy charity? HAH
The rear shock is tunable to your weight and riding style.

Good reason to get the BJ - just ride it!

Here is another idea… get them both, ship the BJ to me in Texas, I will store it in my garage, ride it to keep it happy, do all the maintenance it needs, all at no charge to you! he he
If UPS or FedEx can ship BJs I am missing out.......

MYSCTR- I worked in a warehouse for 10 yrs. Good times.

https://youtu.be/An4uDegHB8s
Last edited by KrispyKreme on Fri May 08, 2015 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

KrispyKreme wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:
...Anybody running a buddy buddy charity? HAH
If UPS or FedEx can ship BJs I am missing out.......
Nope - truck lines - we have brought them in on an odd shaped elongated skid and lots of stretch wrap over a simple 1 x 2 framework around the scoot. Worked great and ready to ride in twenty minutes. Just about could have ridden it off the dock if we had a temp tag!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Having never ridden a 125, I can tell you the Buddy 150 is a blast to ride. I've had my 'moments' but am however still totally in love with my 150.
I top out at 150lbs or less with or with out gear and it has enough Ooompf to get me around with out a problem. Suspension and brake upgrades on the Black Jack, I'm no expert, have no idea what difference it'll all make, some say it adds to the fun of riding. Responsiveness and etc!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
GrandpaBuddy

Post by GrandpaBuddy »

If I could afford to buy BJ's for everyone I would!...so youll have to settle for HJ's...

I drove all the way from LA to SD to see both scooters and well, the BJ

a. Did not have the prima exhaust because the seller used some online photos of BJ's with the prima exhaust instead of taking pictures of his actual scoot ... :roll:
b. It was slightly scuffed up
c. one of the mirrors was missing
d. He was firm on the price so I passed!

The 08 125cc- Cute chick with a pink helmet rolls up on it, lets me inspect and ride it (the buddy).Initial thoughts: its really rusty,the rear tire is extremely low and has Colorado plates to boot..strap on her pink helmet take that bad boy for a ride! It was decent enough for me to make an offer for 750 and we rolled out to AAA to make sure I could register it smoothly. She followed me in my 4runner and her on the 125cc 3 miles on the freeway!!! Very skilled young lady...had some scares at AAA but it all worked out and I walked away with it for $700!!!!!!!!!She even through in the pink helmet and helped me squeeze it into my suv! I strapped it down poorly so it kept leaning down on its side and I kept lifting back up. Came home and it started right up, took her to the gas station to fill up the tires and WOW!!!! Its so agile and fast...I am very content with the buddy 125cc, even having owned several motorcycles I was skeptical but WOW its just plain "FUN FUN FUN till her daddy takes the buddy away". I feel the torque and can tell its just a workhorse. Happy Camper here, hope to spread the buddy love! Thanks all!!!!!!!!
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I thought you drove all the way from Louisiana to South Dakota to check out these scooters until I noticed you were from southern California :wink:

I'm pretty sure that the BJ came with the silver Prima exhaust. If the mirror was missing from the same side as the exhaust, there is a pretty good chance that it was crashed and laid down on that side. Stock exhausts are cheap (or free if you find someone who upgraded the pipe and wants the stock one out of their garage), so he probably snagged a used stock exhaust instead of plunking down another $200.00 for a replacement Prima pipe.

If the tires on the 125 you purchased were really low, be sure to closely inspect the sidewalls for cracks. Running low tires pressure creates a lot of heat in the sidewalls, which leads to early failure. A sidewall blowout on a scooter or motorcycle is a pretty scary / dangerous event to say the least.

The stock tires that come with the Buddy 125 are not the greatest. There are quite a few different tires available in the stock 100/90-10 size. In my experience, just about anything from Michelin, Pirelli or Dunlop will outperform the stock tires http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/50 ... road-tires . For the price, I would probably choose the Michelin S1.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

thatvwbusguy wrote: I'm pretty sure that the BJ came with the silver Prima exhaust.
The Black Jacks actually came with both exhausts, giving the owner a 'choice' as the Prima was labeled "for off road use only" And some may not like the 'sound' of the Prima as apposed to the stock.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
arnette

Post by arnette »

There's a posting for a Blackjack in SF for $3000. Has some extras like front basket, rear case, but sounds like a lot for a 6 year old scoot! 3K miles
bikerbrewer

Blackjack 3k

Post by bikerbrewer »

Seems like everything in SF costs more these days. I used to live in Berkeley until 2010 and it seems like everything in the bay has gotten obscenely expensive. There's a guy in SD trying to sell his BlackJack at a comparatively good price ($2200 I think).
toot

Post by toot »

I just mine with 900 miles for 1800. LA had a few others but around 2200 far from me. You just need to find someone who has no clue. I saw on listed for 4000. LOL :P
jd

Post by jd »

We had two 125's and sold one to get a used Blackjack, so now we've got one of each.

The 125 handles great, but the BJ is even better on high speed curves. How aggressively do you plan to ride? Around town the difference is minor. On sweepers on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you'd definitely notice the better hardware.

I am 160 lbs. The 125 tops out at 58 MPH (GPS) and the BJ hits 69 MPH. How fast do you want to go? BTW, even with its better suspension, riding the little BJ at that speed is unsettling.

The Prima exhaust on the BJ is well-regarded by many scooterheads, but we hated it. It's a real headache-maker. It's fine around town, but if you plan to ride further than 40 or 50 miles in a shot, you may grow to hate it. We traded it with the standard 125 exhaust on my wife's 125 before we sold it.

Same for the seat. My wife preferred the standard Buddy seat, so we switched that out, too. So somewhere in Greater Detroit, there's a guy riding a light blue 125 that makes too much noise and has a single seat. Meanwhile, the BJ has become a true joy to ride...even for long distances.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

arnette wrote:There's a posting for a Blackjack in SF for $3000. Has some extras like front basket, rear case, but sounds like a lot for a 6 year old scoot! 3K miles
They are 1k off on that price. WTF. People think they can recoup all spent. Accessories DO NOT add to the price.
GrandpaBuddy

Post by GrandpaBuddy »

That Bj in SD is the one I looked at...and SF is so expensive its scary, LA is catching up...time to move!

After doing all the maintenance on my Buddy except the rollers, its pretty dang quick. Im very impressed and fully addicted. It handles extremely well I even scraped my stand today when I was leaning too hard in a parking lot :twisted: cant wait to see how fresh tires feel in the near future, not to mention my dr p variator and sliders that are coming tomorrow :D

Anyone have a prima exhaust laying around they want to get rid of?