Scooter Stolen and Recovered! Repairs needed...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rnastruc

Scooter Stolen and Recovered! Repairs needed...

Post by rnastruc »

Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2009 125CC Buddy. 4 weeks ago it was stolen from in front of my house in Berkeley California, but thankfully it was returned to me by the police the other day! Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of damage...

I'm posting here because I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on how much of these repairs I can do myself. I definitely was not expecting this vandalism to happen, and my bank account is trembling. Therefore, I'd like to do as much of this by myself, if possible. Please see below for a list of what is wrong, as well as a picture.

Ignition Removed
Top plastic piece broken off
Front plastic piece broken off
Plastic above the front wheel is broken
Headlight is detached and hanging freely
Seat was slashed
Right turn signal broken and duct taped back on
Side view mirrors removed
Left brake handle bent

This is the damage I can at least see.

Thanks in advance for your input. I really appreciate it.

http://imgur.com/SZtDKu3
http://imgur.com/4738a28
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

That first photo made me want to :cry: I couldn't even bring myself to look at the second one. Do you have a scooter shop near you? My recommendation would be to see what they will give you for the remains of your scooter in salvage. They can sell/use the motor&wheels and some other parts. Then you'll have some cash toward your next scooter. I am so sorry.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Ouch! Destruction for the sake of destruction. I'm pretty sure the parts cost alone will exceed the value of the completed scooter. How many miles are on it?
Attachments
Destroyed Buddy Scooter.jpg
Destroyed Buddy Scooter.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

I am so sorry! That's a horrible thing to go through.
Such malicious actions make me so mad.

It looks like they dropdropped it and possibly ran it into a curb or wall.
I would definitely check the frame, forks, and headset for damage/warping.

Im so sorry that this has happened to you.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
rnastruc

Post by rnastruc »

Hi all. Thanks so much for your sympathy. My poor scooter!

I have a scooter shop near me that I'll be taking it into. I'm nervous to hear what they'll say... I only have about 4,000 miles on it, so I'd hate to have to scrap it. But if that makes financial sense, then I suppose I have no choice.

I'll let you all know what they say!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

rnastruc wrote:I'll let you all know what they say!
Thanks. There's nothing I'd rather than be dead wrong about this. I just didn't want to give you false hope that you could put that damage right (or even close to right) without spending more than the scooter is worth.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Sorry your wheels got stolen AND trashed. I know the feeling. I hate to ask, but HOW did the thieves get it? The only reason I ask is so others (us) can learn from your incident. I use crazy strong locks since my 'hood is a high theft area. The only way they would get my scooter is to jack me, then they would have to outrun bullets-and my scooters are not that fast. Did the cops catch the culprits? Any hope with insurance? I had to learn the hard way. I left it unlocked (only had steering lock engaged) in front of a church next to my old job. Kids rolled it behind the church, hotwired it, gave it a matte black paint job, and smashed it up. Only had minimum coverage. My first scooter-a Honda 80cc Elite (Had DEVO in big letters on the sides). Got $75 from a Honda dealer for a parts bike. I was gutted to say the least.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Ugh. If that were my scooter I'd put it down. I would personally buy another one and part-out the returned one.

Sorry for your situation.
rnastruc

Post by rnastruc »

The scooter was sitting in front of my house with a column lock only. I had the scooter in San Francisco for 4 years with no problems, but I think I may have always been lucky. I suspect they lifted it into a truck in the middle of the night.

The scooter was found because the cops pulled over the rider for not having a license plate. They were arrested and charged with possession of a stolen vehicle. I will be pressing charges.

Sadly, I only had minimum coverage, so insurance won't be helping. That is yet another important lesson from this debacle!

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you updated when I hear from the mechanic. I'm prepared for the worst.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Soooo sorry to hear of this. Worse yet that it was throughly abused and trashed.
Good news that someone might be prosecuted for this, maybe the guy caught with it was the actual thief or will 'roll on' the perpetrator.
I always have the thought in my mind of how'd I feel if my scoot was stolen, it is however garaged at home. It's out and about when I worry especially when at work.

Look into/think about parting it out, you might be able to recoup some cash that way. (I for one, may be interested in a part or two.)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
rnastruc

Post by rnastruc »

Yeah, I was happy to know that someone was arrested in connection to this. My buddy is getting the justice it deserves!

KABarash, I'll be sure to keep you in the loop. Any cash I can get back from my scooter would be great, and I'd love to pass along parts to people on this forum!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

The thief will not get the justice he deserves. This is in California where the voters eliminated most felonies and turned them into misdemeanors with prop 47. That's combined with the fact that they're releasing criminals like crazy. They already released over 3,000 prisoners that were sentenced to "life without the possibility of parole" for murder. The thief will be released on his own recognizance and do no time. Nor will he be required to pay restitution. Property crime is exploding in California because there are no consequences.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Yeah I'd part it out too.

That being said, how much for the rear rack!?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

k1dude wrote:Ugh. If that were my scooter I'd put it down. I would personally buy another one and part-out the returned one.

Sorry for your situation.

I agree. So very sorry about your scoot.
Attachments
imagesVT4VU57M.jpg
imagesVT4VU57M.jpg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
skully93

Post by skully93 »

dammit!

That really sucks.

I keep a low-deductible full coverage for that exact reason.

Sad that it's not very old and very few miles, but with that much damage, I would say I'd suspect you wouldn't find a lot more wrong with it later.

Slashed the seat too? Sheesh.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

In the "For Sale" section, there's a guy in Washington DC parting out all the plastics of a 170i on craigslist, and he has a frame with a headlight and other bits and pieces you could use, you should really get in touch with him and see if he'd be up for shipping what you need.

topic28516.html

topic28517.html
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I'll be the lone voice of dissent...

They were riding it, so you know it's still viable as a working scooter.
I've never replaced an ignition... but there are others who have. Replacing the body parts might try your patience, but are totally doable on your own.

I'd look for other people parting out their scooters, see what you can find for cheap, decide what you can/can't live without... and at least price it out. Maybe ask your dealer what might be dangerous/most important to fix.

You can price new body panels/parts at: http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/genu ... bodypanels

To patch the seat, you could just get a new waterproof (so water doesn't get in the foam) seat cover from cheaky seats: http://scooterseatcovers.net/

Good luck!!
Scooter Commuter
125cclemon

Wtf

Post by 125cclemon »

Who ever did this can rot in hell.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wtf

Post by jrsjr »

125cclemon wrote:Who ever did this can rot in hell.
Eight little words that say it all...
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Zip ties, some fiberglass, a seat cover, a new ignition...
Make it a frankenscooter.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

That is just terrible. :( What a waste.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Stitch wrote:Zip ties, some fiberglass, a seat cover, a new ignition...
:lol: I have a fondness for Charlie Brown trees and Franken-things.
Scooter Commuter
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

sunshinen wrote:
Stitch wrote:Zip ties, some fiberglass, a seat cover, a new ignition...
:lol: I have a fondness for Charlie Brown trees and Franken-things.
Ya, me too. I'll take character over shiny any day.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

So, what duid you decide to do? R
sneezye

Post by sneezye »

sunshinen wrote:I'll be the lone voice of dissent...

I've never replaced an ignition... but there are others who have. Replacing the body parts might try your patience, but are totally doable on your own.

I'd look for other people parting out their scooters, see what you can find for cheap, decide what you can/can't live without... and at least price it out. Maybe ask your dealer what might be dangerous/most important to fix.

You can price new body panels/parts at: http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/genu ... bodypanels

To patch the seat, you could just get a new waterproof (so water doesn't get in the foam) seat cover from cheaky seats: http://scooterseatcovers.net/

Good luck!!
I second this. Having taken my scooter apart many times, the panels aren't that difficult to replace. I've also replaced the ignition. If you're slightly handy, it's totally doable for a reasonable price if you can find some used panels. You could also only replace the necessary items and ride it naked (the scooter, not yourself). Good luck!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

sneezye wrote:
sunshinen wrote:I'll be the lone voice of dissent...

Good luck!!
I second this. Having taken my scooter apart many times, the panels aren't that difficult to replace. I've also replaced the ignition. If you're slightly handy, it's totally doable for a reasonable price if you can find some used panels. You could also only replace the necessary items and ride it naked (the scooter, not yourself). Good luck!
Remove all the body panels down to the tube frame, fab up a speedo housing, headlight, taillight, turn signals, seat, diamond plate floorboard. Go for either a ratbike, industrial, or military theme.
tiii

Post by tiii »

so, someone was actually riding it?

hopefully nothing's bent