Oil pump on a Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Teresa Earl

Oil pump on a Buddy 50

Post by Teresa Earl »

I recently had the oil pump replaced on my 2007Buddy 50, on the way home it died and wouldn't start, took it back to the shop and it started right up my question is Is there a safety switch or something that if the oil is low will it shut off, or what would cause a Buddy to overheat? I have ridden motorcycles in the past and this is my first experience with a scooter and I am assuming that for the most part the maintenance rules are pretty much the same, and if you don't see oil at the top then it must need oil added, right or wrong, someone please help me with my questions
TVB

Post by TVB »

The oil reservoir on the Buddy 50 holds a quart of oil, which is enough for several hundred miles of riding. It will gradually burn through that oil, and you should see a warning light on the speedometer when it gets close to running out. I never rode more than 10-20 miles after the "add oil" light came on, so I don't know what exactly would happen with the pump if you let it run out. If you don't want to risk running out, just fill it up close to the top every 500 miles or so, and you should be fine.
dan v.

Post by dan v. »

Ouch. Sounds like a soft seize. When the oil pump is replaced the shop should have bled the new pump at the minimum - meaning that air is purged from the oil tank line to the pump. It still takes a while for the oil to make it from the pump to the carb/ engine, so the cylinder may have seized from lack of oil as you rode it.

As the engine goes cold, the piston that expanded too much because of lack of oil and excessive friction/heat returns to size and they will usually start again if not too much damage has been done, but a soft seize will damage the piston if not the cylinder, even though it seems to run properly.

The way to avoid this is to premix the oil in the gas at 3%, and run normally until the oil system is charged.

I doubt if the shop did this, but in my opinion, it is the way to make sure that your top end is properly lubed after the pump is removed.

This begs a question though - why was the pump replaced in the first place? Did the engine seize? Have you checked to ensure that your low oil light works?