Stella was fine. Now it won't run.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHunt012

Stella was fine. Now it won't run.

Post by JHunt012 »

Stella went from running great to not running.

I can only get it started with the choke pulled out. As soon as I push the choke in it dies. This started after I drove it down a steep hill and it stalled out on me. The only way I got home was to start it with the choke pulled out and basically keep the RPM's high. As soon as I let off the throttle it stalled. I had to restart it with the choke at every traffic light or after trying to simply "coast".

The Jets are clean and I installed a new spark plug. When it first stalled going down the steep hill it was low on gas but not on reserve. I drove it straight to the gas station and added about 1.25 gallons of gas. The problem persisted even after adding gas.

It had been driving great until I drove down that hill and it stalled. This '09 Stealla is new to me as of this week and only has 750 miles. I'd REALLY appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks so much!
Last edited by JHunt012 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Most of my problems have stemmed from the kill switch being intermittent. If it rained or got wet, live in a humid climate might try disconnecting it just to see.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Is this the Stella you have written about in other groups ...the '09 with less than 1k on it that has sat for years that you are now sorting out?

If so, it may a fuel feed issue considering it will only run on full choke. If some old fuel had been left in it as it sat, then it's possible that residue is fouling up your jets or your float or petcock or whatever ... seems it's requiring engine suction from the closed choke to pull some fuel thru the system.

I doubt it's electrical if it runs on choke but not without choke.

Suggest first verify the choke itself is working as expected & then see if fuel flows freely from the fuel line feeding the carb when you open the petcock & then go from there.
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

fisher1 wrote:Is this the Stella you have written about in other groups ...the '09 with less than 1k on it that has sat for years that you are now sorting out?

If so, it may a fuel feed issue considering it will only run on full choke. If some old fuel had been left in it as it sat, then it's possible that residue is fouling up your jets or your float or petcock or whatever ... seems it's requiring engine suction from the closed choke to pull some fuel thru the system.

Suggest first verify the choke itself is working as expected & then see if fuel flows freely from the fuel line feeding the carb when you open the petcock & then go from there.
Remove the fuel nipple from the carb with your 10mm wrench and see if fuel flows freely.
My Stella had a pinched fuel line when the fuel/oil tank was installed crushing the fuel line between the oil tank and the scooter body,
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.
JHunt012

Post by JHunt012 »

fisher1 wrote:Is this the Stella you have written about in other groups ...the '09 with less than 1k on it that has sat for years that you are now sorting out?

Fisher,

Yes I originally posted about the fuel gauge issue. I seemed to have figured that out. My '09 Stella only has 750 miles.

In this case I am mostly puzzled because it was running great since I got it last weekend and suddenly it stopped running after only having parked it for about 1 hour.

-So far I have removed and cleaned the Jets. They looked brand new with no "build up".

-I originally thought it was an issue with the spark plug wire and boot. I think I have ruled that out by replacing the boot and spark plug. The symptoms I am experiencing have not changed. It starts up with the choke pulled out but only runs as long as I am giving it throttle.

How do you recommend "seeing if fuel flows freely from the fuel line feeding the carb when you open the petcock"? If I disconnect the fuel supply line from the carb I don't see any way to drain the fuel into anything while testing its flow. It seems to be working ok because when it is turned to "off" I can get it to start with choke one time but then it immediately dies and then I obviously can't get it started again. However when it is turned to "on" I can get it to start every time with the choke pulled out, but it dies as soon as I let off the throttle.

I have not done anything with the idle adjustment screw or the air/fuel adjustment screw. I figured that because it was running great 1 hour before it wasn't likely an issue with these.

Other than the jets, is there anything I can check/clean in the carb without removing it? How about the float? Given the fact that the problem came on so suddenly, would it make sense to remove and rebuild the carb to try to fix this problem?

Pleae excuse my ignorance. I don't have any experience with these types of issues. I am hoping that with the help and advice of people like yourself on this board I can learn through expdrience and hopefully be able to pass along some advice in the future. Thanks for your time.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

I'd follow Frank's advice to check your fuel flow. If fuel doesn't flow in the petcock's 'on' position, check the 'reserve' one. If the choke is working correctly and you have good flow from the fuel line, I'd then suspect either clogged jets or float needle.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Air leak, maybe?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

fisher1 wrote: If the choke is working correctly and you have good flow from the fuel line, I'd then suspect either clogged jets or float needle.
I agree. With a bike that has been sitting for 5 years this is high on the list. I realize the OP said the jets are "clean" with no "build-up". He also said he has little experience with this type of situation. It is often difficult to detect a bit of material inside a jet. Mechanics usually just change the jets to be sure, as they are inexpensive. I would take another hard look at the carb given the specific symptoms.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Buy a rebuild kit. Take the carb all the way apart, clean and rebuild. I can't tell you how many times I hear that "I cleaned the juts and its still runs crappy."

You probably have garf everywhere, the needle, seat, mixture needle etc etc. Change all gaskets, including under the air box. Replace the float, float pin, needle.

don't shove wires in the jets. Shops use gauged jet cleaning wires but if you soak and clean they will be fine.

Torque back down to spec. Don't over torque or the base may warp.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JHunt012

My First Repair

Post by JHunt012 »

Thanks to all of you for your time and advice.

I fixed the issue. Here is a recap that might help someone else with the same problem...

Suddenly, my 2009 Stella 2t stalled out and would only run with the choke, and if I was giving it some throttle. It would not idle.

I determined that fuel flowed freely by turning petcock to on with the fuel line loosened inside the carb. Gas immediately started to flow so I immediately tightened the fuel line back up and determined fuel flow was not the problem.

I had already removed the carb and inspected it and cleaned it with carb cleaner. To my untrained eye the carb looked brand new and the jets looked clean and clear. However, I did not use compressed air when cleaning it and did not actually replace the float, needle, etc. Because of this I decided to order a carb rebuild kit from Scooter Mercato and try again.

When I bought the scooter it appeared to have a good bit of oil residue around the engine and rear wheel. While many people on these forums have indicated this is "normal" it seemed like a lot to me given the fact this scooter has less than 800 miles. I figured there might be a leak around the bottom of the Carb which might also mean an air leak.

Because I was going to pull the carb anyway for the rebuild I ordered a gasket to go between the carb and carb box as well as under the carb box.

So I rebuilt the carb (new gaskets, float, needle, etc.) and cleaned it with carb cleaner and compressed air. I also replaced the gasket under the carb and under the carb box.

I put everything back together and it idled without the choke. Not sure if it was the more thorough cleaning of the carb that did the trick or if there was an air leak that the new gaskets took care of.

Drove it about 50 miles today and it was great! Thanks again for all of your time and advice. I will certainly have more questions that I hope you guys can help with. Thanks!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice job!

Now you know that a carb rebuild really isn't very difficult! The first time takes a while but after that it's no big deal.

Great feeling when you take something that isn't working apart, fix it, put it back together and it works the way it's supposed to isn't it!

Just be careful...it's like a drug..."man...carb rebuilds just don't do it for me anymore...my clutch is working fine...but I'm "sure it needs a rebuild!" :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

congrats on your fix and you did it yourself!!!
and thanks for sharing
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics