Rode Stella across SF-Oakland Bay Bridge

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

quen047

Rode Stella across SF-Oakland Bay Bridge

Post by quen047 »

Took me 2 years to get up the courage to try, but today was a nearly windless day and I had a convention to attend at Jack London Square in Oakland so, I did it.

Rode from SF to Oakland at about 3 pm. Not as stressful as I thought. Eastbound traffic on the double-deck SF side bridge is on the lower span which seemed to block any wind, and 45-50 mph in the right lane is ok. Traffic moved faster once past Treasure Island onto the new span, but wind was not bad, plus it was at my back as opposed to the fierce crosswinds on the Golden Gate Bridge. Got off at the first Oakland exit (Grand Ave) and took surface streets to the Square. Felt good to have the Stella in East Bay

Going back this evening at 10:30 was a bit hairier. More wind and fog which was now in my face. the Oakland span was a little scary with trucks flying by at speed. Might go back via scoot tomorrow for the morning session, but definitely won't come back to SF at night!
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Still pretty brave...when I lived in concord (grew up there intact) I always hated driving across he bridge.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Bravo !!!!
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Right on! I'm quite familiar with that bridge, having lived in SF for many years. Don't know if I would have the nerve to ride my Stella across it. Maybe....
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Thanks for the kudos y'all. I did it again today with little drama. The wind and speed sure does beat me up physically though- I feel like I ran a 10k. Definitely not an everyday commuting experience.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

if you ever do it again, try to get some video of it! that would be awsome!
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I may never do it again. The last time I tried the winds were terrifying despite the weather report claiming almost no wind. I love having the scoot in East Bay but man, that's a ride.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

i'll do a search and see if anyone did that bridge on a PX (CLOSE ENOUGH TO STELLA) so we all can 'feel the ride' too.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

In '74, when i was 20 years old and fearless.
,I rode my 900 Kawasaki across the Golden Gate Bridge and back, sideways!
the wind was so freegin bad.
i never did it again. Im still scarred with a memory of that excursion.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
stASH

Post by stASH »

That first one gave me motion sickness, but I like how in the first one you see the new span under construction, and in the second one you see the old span being torn down.