Cup holder for Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mudshark

Cup holder for Buddy?

Post by mudshark »

It's like 75 degrees here in beautiful Athens, GA today and I just went downtown to grab some coffee to bring back to work. I thought I could just slide the cup into the little front storage area, but I ended up with coffee everywhere!

Does anyone have a cup holder on their scooter? Where can I get one?
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

My coffee travel mug has an open handle and is similar to the travel mug pictured below. I place my coffee mug inside the Buddy’s open compartment near the accessory outlet, hooking the mug’s handle over the wall of the compartment. I usually have a newspaper with me so I jam the newspaper into the remaining compartment space so that the coffee mug remains upright and doesn’t slide around. Its not pretty but it works.

On my Christmas list I have the following drink caddy from Motorsport Scooters:

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/ ... addy/1414/

I am a little skeptical about how securely the drink caddy’s suction cups will hold but I thought that I would give it a try. I will probably still hook the mug’s handle over wall of the compartment and just use the drink caddy to prevent the mug from moving around.
Attachments
cup.jpg
cup.jpg (5.4 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
drinkcaddy.jpg
drinkcaddy.jpg (10.82 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
mudshark

Post by mudshark »

Thanks!

Yeah, it seems like the key is just to have a really tight fitting lid on your travel mug, huh? I guess my biggest problem was that it was a paper cup and the lid had a sipping hole in it!
Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i just cut a pattern for a glove box organizer that will velcro into the glove box, it will have a cup holder pocket, a phone pocket, and a glasses/goggle pocket. if it works i'll let you know.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Don't get that suction cup thing for the Buddy. That was meant for a Vespa with a metal body. The plastic won't hold it.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

pcbikedude wrote:Don't get that suction cup thing for the Buddy. That was meant for a Vespa with a metal body. The plastic won't hold it.
Thanks, you just saved me $8.95 plus $2.90 in spilled coffee. I guess that I will still be cramming newspapers around my coffee mug until robonz23 patents and mass produces the Buddy glove box organizer.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

i think the biggest problem with putting paper coffee cups in that space on the buddy is the slight slope in the bottom of the storage area. I am a coffee addict and frequent starbucks and other local joints on the buddy. Once the mug slips to the side the open sippy holes drain the coffee out. I think a good way would be to get an auto cup holder liner (like at pep boys or something) and velcro it to the bottom of the space. Get something with rubber sides to help support it, i havent tried this yet but i have put a lot of thinking into it.
I have the scoots!
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

robonz23

if your pattern works, you'll have to start to mass produce them.

Please let us know if it works.

For now I put my cup in the compartment w/the outlet and that works. But I usually have a cool starbucks drink not hot coffee. Suggest getting a second cup to hot coffee and then put in the compartment under the outlet.

I heard those suction cup cups don't work on Buddy either.
buddyboop

Post by buddyboop »

I have one of the suction cup holders from Motorsport and it is AWESOME on the Vespa. NOW I will have to try it on the Buddy. I just use the cup holder up front and haven't had a spill of coffee yet. I guess I feel really fortunate.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Hey mudshark,

Go down to your local bicycle shop and buy an insulated water bottle, they drop right into the buddy "glove box" and the don't leak and are easy enough to drink from.....oh and you can easly clean them if you put soda or coffee in them.......
"Social graces, got any"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

buddyboop wrote:I have one of the suction cup holders from Motorsport and it is AWESOME on the Vespa. NOW I will have to try it on the Buddy. I just use the cup holder up front and haven't had a spill of coffee yet. I guess I feel really fortunate.
Beware of the suction cup drink holder—on any scooter! It will work well on the Vespa's metal or plastic surfaces for a while, but the suction cups lose their grip over time. I had a couple disasters with mine!

The plastic on the Buddy isn't smooth so a suction cup won't work at all.

Coincidentally, my wife had her first paper cup in the Buddy glove bucket incident this weekend. Peppermint latte everywhere. I have no idea why the Starbucks cup went kablooey this weekend when so many others before it have been fine.
robonz23 wrote:i just cut a pattern for a glove box organizer that will velcro into the glove box, it will have a cup holder pocket, a phone pocket, and a glasses/goggle pocket. if it works i'll let you know.
I'd love to see pics of this!

I have given up on most solutions for the Vespa so am designing my own. I think I have the perfect solution; my top secret working prototype seems to be holding up quite well with no spills.

For the Buddy, a few ModernVespa members swear by these chalk bags, which can be rigged to hang from the glove box door on the Vespa and could easily be hung from the Buddy's bag hook. You can get t hem online for $10 or less.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

mudshark-i have tried all kinds of things a couple that work well
1 carry a small towel w/ you, before you put your cup in the glove box throw the towel back into the spot behind it. pretty simple and works fairly well seems to dampen vibration and soak up small sloshes.

2 get a cup holder meant for a boat that is just a pwhite plastic cup essentially it's 3-4 inches tall, stick it in the glove box as far down as you can.

3. one of those chalk bags or something similar hung into the glovebox mine had stiff wire handle( before it was taken, probably still does) so i could hang it over the lip of the glovebox.

Ericalm-no pics yet it's just a pattern cut out of paper right now, but it's essentially a piece of fabric with velco on the back top and bottom that sticks to velcro near your knees inside glove compartment, it would have three pockets one really huge to fit a 32oz fountain cup or big starbucks cup into just enough to keep the bottom of the cup from sliding (which is where i get maximum spillage right now)

i also plan to make one that attatches to the outside in the same spot (right at the knees) with speakers and an ipod pocket so i can finally get some tunes going, then i can roll the whole thing up and put it under seat while not in use.

BUT...i have to get my sewing machine working
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Im thinking about getting something like this if I can figure out a place to mount it.

http://store.somafab.com/morucoho.html
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

im just going to have to start taking my coffee intravenously and hanging the bag from my bars.
Attachments
istockphoto_656038_iv_bag_and_pole.jpg
istockphoto_656038_iv_bag_and_pole.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
I have the scoots!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I'm a huge fan of the twist shut, no-leak kinds of travel mugs. I now take mine everywhere I go. It's amazing, I can turn it upside down, toss it in my backpack sideways, and nothing will come out. And I'm not throwing cups away all the time.
mudshark

Post by mudshark »

poop colored buddy wrote:im just going to have to start taking my coffee intravenously and hanging the bag from my bars.
Hmmm. That may be easier. :wink:

Actually, all ya need is a nice & tightly closed travel mug. It's been working just fine. I won't leave home without it again!
Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sunil wrote:Im thinking about getting something like this if I can figure out a place to mount it.

http://store.somafab.com/morucoho.html
The do make holders for boats which bolt on. I don't really want to put holes in my scoot for the sake of a cupholder, but it is that important to some people.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

Something like this perhaps?

http://asp.ram-mount.com/rammount/produ ... -B-174-132

I use RAM mounts with my work and I find they are fairly effective. Haven't tried the drink mounts yet though...
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
tjupille

Post by tjupille »

Or, you could be a cheapskate like me and tape a chunk of foam to a 99-cent generic cup holder from Wallyworld, and then use a self-tapping screw to keep it from sliding:

-- Tom Jupille
2007 Buddy 125 (wife's)
2004 Bajaj Chetak
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet Military
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

tjupille wrote:Or, you could be a cheapskate like me and tape a chunk of foam to a 99-cent generic cup holder from Wallyworld, and then use a self-tapping screw to keep it from sliding:
you say 'cheapskate', i say 'inventive'. :D
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

scullyfu wrote:
tjupille wrote:Or, you could be a cheapskate like me and tape a chunk of foam to a 99-cent generic cup holder from Wallyworld, and then use a self-tapping screw to keep it from sliding:
you say 'cheapskate', i say 'inventive'. :D
yeah, can we see a pic "in action" (or at least with the seat down)? thanks
tjupille

Post by tjupille »

yeah, can we see a pic "in action" (or at least with the seat down)? thanks
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd! :wink: But since you asked:

A little more detail: I did have to use a hot-air gun to soften the arm on the cup holder and mold it to the correct angle, but it fits under the lip of the seat just fine. If this had been my bike, I would have put it on the right side (less likely to get broken when moving the scooter around), but my wife's a southpaw and prefers it on the left.

-- Tom Jupille
2007 Buddy 125 (wife's)
2004 Bajaj Chetak
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet Military
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I have a washclothe that I stick in the bottom of the holder so the cup doesn't shift and tip over. However, this does not always work. Also, some cups are just a bit too small and the lids catch on the top of the Buddy's "compartment" and sometimes open.

Overall, a decent cup holder desperately needs to be made for the Buddy. I don't want to be constantly switching my drinks from the shop's paper cups to a spill-proof container (which I hate anyway).

How this could be so overlooked by Genuine is beyond me. I have crossed cars off my wish/buy list for lack of a good cupholder!