Stella with SIP Performance pipe

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootiescoot

Stella with SIP Performance pipe

Post by scootiescoot »

Good day!

Does anyone out there have the SIP Performance pipe on their Stella?

If so what is the performance like? How did it affect the gas mileage?

Did the Carb need to be jetted up to make the pipe work well?

Please PM meif you have this info!!

Thanks,

Scootiescoot
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

It's pretty much guaranteed you will have to rejet.
az_slynch

Re: Stella with SIP Performance pipe

Post by az_slynch »

scootiescoot wrote:Good day!

Does anyone out there have the SIP Performance pipe on their Stella?

If so what is the performance like? How did it affect the gas mileage?

Did the Carb need to be jetted up to make the pipe work well?

Please PM meif you have this info!!

Thanks,

Scootiescoot
The SIP Road pipe will fatten up the mid range torque and rev up at least as high as a Sito Plus will. You will need to de-blue and drill the jet holes on your stock air filter, or just buy a Euro P-series air filter. start by changing your E3 mixer to a BE3, run a 160 air jet, a 110-112 main jet and a 55/160 idle jet. Of course, this assumes you have a stock cylinder and a Spaco SI-20/20 carburetor installed. Start at 3.5 turns out on the mixture screw.

Note that if you're running a kit, the numbers will be different depending on the kit.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Raputtak

Re: Stella with SIP Performance pipe

Post by Raputtak »

az_slynch wrote: The SIP Road pipe will fatten up the mid range torque and rev up at least as high as a Sito Plus will. You will need to de-blue and drill the jet holes on your stock air filter, or just buy a Euro P-series air filter. start by changing your E3 mixer to a BE3, run a 160 air jet, a 110-112 main jet and a 55/160 idle jet. Of course, this assumes you have a stock cylinder and a Spaco SI-20/20 carburetor installed. Start at 3.5 turns out on the mixture screw.

Note that if you're running a kit, the numbers will be different depending on the kit.
Sounds like the inspiration for a country song.

I'm working on it.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

110-112 will be way to rich for a sip road pipe I'm running a 106 on my 150 which is richer than most !

102-104 seem to be the most common main jets for this set up.

The sip road is a great pipe,it gives you lots of low down grunt as well as letting you rev higher on each gear. It came out top in scootering magazine's recent exhaust test.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Interesting. I was adjusting my recommendation for sea level based on the OP's location (Massachusetts). I'm at 2500ft ASL in Tucson and know of several Stellas in town running de-restricted air filters, Sito Plus pipes and 108 main jets, so one size up seems sensible for a half-mile down of elevation change. Then again, we have temps over 100F for a third of the year so it's a good idea to run a bit rich to keep the engine temps down.

I run a stock P200E with a Del'Orto SI 20/20D, a Euro air filter with a SIP Road and a 120 main jet. My plugs come out nice and brown. She's a touch smoky, but I believe that problem is tied to my autolube pump.

I built a souped-up Stella for a buddy that has a 60mm stroker crank and a Malossi 166 kit (175cc total) and he's running a similar setup, with the exception of a 48/160 idle, a 125 main and a Dell'Orto #3 slide. That's slightly rich, but I have him mixing 1% into the tank in addition to the standard autolube so the extra fuelling capability goes to offset the in-tank oil. Someday, I'd like to put a 200cc autolube pump (3% at WOT versus 2% for a 125/150) on it and drop the main to a 122.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Interesting. I was adjusting my recommendation for sea level based on the OP's location (Massachusetts). I'm at 2500ft ASL in Tucson and know of several Stellas in town running de-restricted air filters, Sito Plus pipes and 108 main jets, so one size up seems sensible for a half-mile down of elevation change. Then again, we have temps over 100F for a third of the year so it's a good idea to run a bit rich to keep the engine temps down.
Sounds like you have it set up right for you area. That dry Arizona air is also a factor ..... air density decreases with 1. increased humidity (sounds odd but is true) 2. increased temperature and 3. increased altitude.

So the drier, cooler & lower in altitude you're at - the more fuel you need to compensate for the denser air.

http://www.dtec.net.au/Air%20Density%20&%20Tuning.htm
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Thanks for the informative link, Fisher. :)

Tipper, I noticed the in Great Britain, you have an 5% ethanol blend to your fuel. Here in the states, we have an 10% blend in most places and even a 15% blend (E85). I don't have hard numbers on the differences, but I do know that ethanol raises the auto-ignition temperature and requires higher compression ratios to make similar performance to plain-old petrol.

Since these engines aren't really high-compression, I suspect that the ethanol isn't helping performance. I suspect that your engines burn your fuel a bit more thoroughly than ours do. Essentially, we're putting at least 5% less petroleum into the cylinder on each intake stroke, effectively running slightly leaner that we would if we were running a lower-ethanol fuel. This could help explain the jetting variance as well.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

It's even worse. E85 is actually 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. Don't run so good in our archaic carbureted engines. The brainiacs in D.C., however, are contemplating 'upgrading' us from 10 to 15 percent ethanol by law.

More goo for carb jets. And I do so wish we would stop burning our food supply.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

PeteH wrote:It's even worse. E85 is actually 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. Don't run so good in our archaic carbureted engines. The brainiacs in D.C., however, are contemplating 'upgrading' us from 10 to 15 percent ethanol by law.

Yikes, it IS worse! Thanks for the correction, Pete. Besides burning food, it's also a damn sneaky way to get older vehicles off the road. Sorry, can't burn the fuel anymore... :roll:

fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

It's even worse. E85 is actually 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline.
I read that and thought, naaaah can't be right, THEY wouldn't do THAT !!

Sheeeezzzzz I looked it up .... it IS 85% alcohol !!!!
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

az_slynch wrote:
PeteH wrote:It's even worse. E85 is actually 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. Don't run so good in our archaic carbureted engines. The brainiacs in D.C., however, are contemplating 'upgrading' us from 10 to 15 percent ethanol by law.

Yikes, it IS worse! Thanks for the correction, Pete. Besides burning food, it's also a damn sneaky way to get older vehicles off the road. Sorry, can't burn the fuel anymore... :roll:
And with the droughts in Oklahoma I guess we will soon have to import the grain, too.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

fisher1 wrote:
It's even worse. E85 is actually 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline.
I read that and thought, naaaah can't be right, THEY wouldn't do THAT !!

Sheeeezzzzz I looked it up .... it IS 85% alcohol !!!!
That's 170% proof!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Tipper wrote:110-112 will be way to rich for a sip road pipe I'm running a 106 on my 150 which is richer than most !

102-104 seem to be the most common main jets for this set up.

The sip road is a great pipe,it gives you lots of low down grunt as well as letting you rev higher on each gear. It came out top in scootering magazine's recent exhaust test.
You also have to remember that you guys have non-ethanol gas in Europe. E10 here in the States requires a slightly richer air/fuel mix for stoich (optimum ratio).

14.7:1 for pure gas, 14.13:1 for E10. (Air:Fuel)