Good full face helmet?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mhardgrove

Good full face helmet?

Post by mhardgrove »

Just sold my car and will be using my Buddy as my primary transportation. I have an openface helmet, but want full face protection. I'm finding cheap helmets for $30-40 on Amazon, TMS is the brand. What's the difference between a cheap DOT approved helmet and a more expensive one?
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Comfort, wind noise, aerodynamics, ventilation... probably crash protection as well, but I haven't yet tested that. I spent $50 on my first helmet and it was OK. Biggest issue was riding in any sort of wind I felt like a bobblehead doll. I'd have a hard time buying a helmet without trying it on first. A helmet that doesn't fit properly can be just as dangerous as no helmet at all.
toot

Post by toot »

Invest in the best Helmet you can afford. Go to a store and try on all in your price range.. Each helmet fits differently. Then you can shop on line for the best price. Dot and Snell approved are the best... The only protection you have between the road and your head is your HELMET.... I had a small head bump with the road and got a small concussion. I can only imagine if it was a full on blow.. PLEASE RIDE SAFE!!!
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Sparx makes good, inexpensive, comfortable full face helmets. The S07 model is what I have, you can usually find them at powersports places for around $100 or better. It's easy to switch the visors out, their super comfortable and easy to dismantle and clean.The difference between $40 and $100+ helmets is mainly the quality of the padding, My GF has a cheap Fuller 3/4 and the pads are stuffed with terribly softer foam than higher quality helmets. I agree with jrstone, you really have to try on helmets in person to get the fit right.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I use a KBC full face helmet that cost me around $100 on line. DOT but not Schnell approved. Good ventilation and a durable lens system. In my climate, you need to adjust the lens position often to avoid fogging but still provide protection.
I am paying off too much tuition right now to spend $300 on a really highly rated full face helmet.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Helmet snob here( too many years on the racetrack), BUT there are lots of good reasonable helmets out there around $100. As some others have said, you really need to try them on, but do your local shop a favor, they have the helmets there...consider buying one from them?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

viney makes some good points. Your local shop should also be able to help determine which helmet fits properly. Fitting is critical and what feels comfy to you might not be a good fit. Helmets need to break in.

So go get fitted and ride safe!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've been spoiled by Bell and Scorpion helmets.

remember, you should only be buying one every 5 years or so. Even if you blow $500 on a comfortable, protective helmet with a lot of features, it breaks down per year.

or as a friend told me: "you only buy quality once"
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I have a Bell Arrow FF helmet I got for $100. Looks like if you google them you can find them on closeout for around half that now too.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

I love my scorpion EXO helmet. Spent around $120 on it, but it has more than met my expectations. Plus a large or smaller will fit in the pet carrier.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I swear by my SHOEI helmet, in no small part because it is the only FF that actually fits my head shape! Be sure you are able to wear the helmet for an hour or so to make sure it will fit you.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
RexM

Thoughts on standards, stores, the interwebs

Post by RexM »

If you are considering a helmet that bears a Snell safety certification, be aware that some Snell 2005 helmets are still being sold without the seller calling attention to the fact that the Snell rating refers to the foundation's 2005 testing standard, not the current 2010 standard that replaced it. The 2005 standard fell under some slightly controversial, but reasonable sounding, criticism that was addressed by the foundation with the move to the 2010 standard. The short version is that a Snell 2005 helmet is probably heavier than it needs to be for average sized heads, and may provide less relative impact protection for larger heads.

Perhaps a better certification to augment DOT is ECE 22.05, the European standard. It is generally considered to allow for lighter helmets while remaining a more rigorous standard than DOT. I'm not knowledgeable to comment on the details, but I trust the sources I've read. See the internets for details.

I second the notion that if you try on a helmet in a brick and mortar and find one you like, you should buy it there. They are spending money to have that helmet on the floor. If we all use our local shops as merely showrooms for the internet, someday there will be no local shops when we need them.

Having said that, if you don't utilize a store's time, floor space and merchandising, I think the internet is fair game. I have no affiliation with them other than an extremely satisfied customer, but I cannot even imagine purchasing moto gear from any online retailer besides Revzilla. Their selection, video content, speed and customer service are shockingly good. Crucially for helmet buying, their return/exchange policy is fast and easy. Their video guides are indispensable for product information, and well made and entertaining. They recently released a 2014 helmet guide video, full of tasty recommendations. They also have ECE 22.05 helmets from $100 to $1000.

Lastly, with the standard disclaimer that I am not judging others etc. etc., congratulations on your choice to use a full face helmet. I would guess that few people who make the switch and allow time to become accustomed to the difference ever regret it or want to switch back.
skipper20

Re: Good full face helmet?

Post by skipper20 »

mhardgrove wrote:Just sold my car and will be using my Buddy as my primary transportation. I have an openface helmet, but want full face protection. I'm finding cheap helmets for $30-40 on Amazon, TMS is the brand. What's the difference between a cheap DOT approved helmet and a more expensive one?
Whichever route you go, don't buy it online. Go to a reputable MC dealer and try them on until one of them feels right. Then patronize that local dealer. If we all buy online, guess what? We won't have any local dealers to go to!! Besides, full face helmets are very personal. Your whole head is surrounded and encapsulated in this plastic and foam package and it just has to feel right for it to work. Especially if you wear eyeglasses like me. Even if you don't wear glasses you need to feel right inside that helmet. They feel completely different than a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona
'12 170i Italia (AZ scooter)
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

pugbuddy wrote:I swear by my SHOEI helmet, in no small part because it is the only FF that actually fits my head shape! Be sure you are able to wear the helmet for an hour or so to make sure it will fit you.
I had to replace my FF helmet last week and also ended up with a SHOEI. I opted for the RF-1200 based on fit and features. I previously had a NEXX XR1R which was the best fit I could find after trying on 7-10 different helmets. I can't emphasize enough the importance of trying on helmets in person.

That said I bought my SHOEI from Revzilla. (No one seemed to have the helmet I wanted in stock locally). The staff at Revzilla is extremely knowledgable and was very helpful in recommending a helmet that fit and fulfilled the criteria that I was after.

I am extremely happy with the SHOEI RF-1200. The NEXX XR1R was a fabulous helmet, but in comparison, the RF-1200 is simply amazing! It is aerodynamically superior, quieter, feels smaller and lighter on my head even though it is probably slightly heavier than the carbon XR1R that I used to have, and it is simply more comfortable and easier to ride in due to the engineering, ventilation and shell size/shape.
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I will pop into Sportique this week and see what's up, as I have a huge head. Also, buying local support local business rather than someone in mainland China. Thanks for the advice!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Another vote for Scorpion. They have very moderately priced helmets (can be found for around $100) and I always loved mine and one in particular did its job very well for me.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

mhardgrove wrote:Awesome, thanks for the advice! I will pop into Sportique this week and see what's up, as I have a huge head. Also, buying local support local business rather than someone in mainland China. Thanks for the advice!
They should do a good job of getting you set up. Let us know how it goes!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

mhardgrove,

How's that marijuana 'thing' working you for you all???

As for the helmets... there are articles [on the interwebs] explaining different head shapes and what helmets best fit those shapes. For me, I found the Scorpion Transformer to be the best fit for my 'long' head. That being said, the cheap plastic pivot point for the chin bar was a huge negative.

Scorpion rep was great and replaced the helmet the first time it happened.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Sure, I can throw in a vote for "Brand X", but chances are you don't have a head shaped like mine.

There are a lot of good helmets at the $100 price point. Try them on, check out reviews (like Web Bike World) and get one that is solid and fits right.

If you can't afford it, don't go trying on the top of the line or you'll find yourself in love and then broke (happened to me with an Arai Profile). :lol:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

walke2jd wrote:I love my scorpion EXO helmet. Spent around $120 on it, but it has more than met my expectations.
I have also had good luck with the Scorpion EXO. As others have said, fit is the most important single factor. You have to try helmets on before buying. They can not be loose - tested by trying the tip or rotate the helmet while you are wearing it. They can not be uncomfortably tight. Some helmets will just be the wrong shape for your head regardless of size.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I would suggest going to a scooter shop and trying on helmets in person, to make sure they fit - I ordered one of those $40 full-face helmets off of Amazon, in what I thought was my size (medium), and when it arrived I tried it on - and it was way too large. Too big for my husband (who wears a large), too big for someone I tried to sell it to on Craigslist who wore an XL. So please, please, go helmet hunting in person. This way, you won't end up wasting money on something that doesn't work.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I like my Scorpion EXO-700 FF and my HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet.

The HJC has the pull down internal sunshade/visor feature, which I love!
Last edited by Whimscootie on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have been happy with two HJC helmets: the CL-15 and IS-16. The IS-16 is noisier than the other, and I have found that I don't use the retractable visor, and the external hardware just makes noise, so the next helmet I get will not have one.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Check out our guide to helmet buying: topic4951.html

Especially the part about helmet certification.

And this look at the innards of a cheap helmet:
viewtopic.php?t=9452

Like a lot of Chinese imports, many of these are made in the same factory and just regraded by the importers.

So… Hate to say it, but a good helmet can only be made and sold for so cheap. It's one thing if it's a closeout or markdown, but these Internet specials are in general awful.

The differences between the mid-range and higher-range ones are often more about materials, features and comfort than protection. And some of those higher-end ones are very comfortable compared to cheaper ones.

It's always best to support a local dealer, even if it costs a little more. I miss having one close to me!

But if you're really on a tight budget and need to go online, better to get a deal on a good helmet than buy a poor-quality one. It'a always best to try on first but if that's not possible, be sure you buy somewhere with a good return policy.

Good advice on fitting:
http://www.helmetcheck.org/thefit.aspx

Motorcycle Closeouts has a bunch under $100:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+ ... under+$100

The Bells are pretty good. I have a G-Max now and it's nice but wearing out a bit faster than I'd like.

MotorcycleGear.com has good closeout prices on the HJCs and popular Scorpion EXO500:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets

And there are good deals here, too:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

I love my Bell Vortex. It's very comfortable and Snell 2010 approved. It's also a very good price for a full face Snell rated helmet.

The downsides are that it's heavy-ish and loud at speed.
Knows just enough to be dangerous