HEADLIGHT SUCKS!!!!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SonnyD

HEADLIGHT SUCKS!!!!!!

Post by SonnyD »

I've almost quit riding at night.. the headlight on the 06 is just Horrible! I've upgraded to a Halogen bulb and it's about 1% better then stock...
I see LED lights on Bicycles out riding that put out way more light then my headlight... Instead of trying to modify the stock one....anyone ever had any Ideas about adding an auxiliary light as the main headlight??
I know I can't get some high wattage driving light that would over power the charging system, but almost any other small light I've seen is better then stock... where to mount it is another ??? Wouldn't be much of a problem with a front rack, but I wouldn't want to install a rack just so I can add a headlight... I also thought of trying to install something in the Deadlight area too. Guess I could always wear a "Miners Lantern" on my head...it would definitely be more light, lolololololololololololololol
If it wasn't such a chore to change out the lover top cover, I'd just buy the upper and lower and a 07 up headlight..... Sounds pretty costly for now...
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I'd look into getting something like this, LED driving lights you can mount to the front anyway you want. I think something like this would look cool mounted to a front rack if you don't already have one. Or get some you can mount to the forks.

http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Driving-Ligh ... otorcycles
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

The upgrade to a larger, more powerful headlight in '07 was one of the best design changes the Buddy ever had. I'm not sure you'll be able to do a lot more than you've already done to the '06 headlight.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmazza wrote:The upgrade to a larger, more powerful headlight in '07 was one of the best design changes the Buddy ever had. I'm not sure you'll be able to do a lot more than you've already done to the '06 headlight.

But they look sooooooooo wrong! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I'll give you a headlight assembly but you'll need to source the plastics. The o6 light is terrible.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

You could add a few bike lights to your scoot. That way, they are self powered and you would not have to worry about the charging system.

Deal Xtreme has some amazing bike lights for dirt cheap. They are made well and will blind you if you arent careful. They have some that go close to 2000 lumens, but I would probably try one closer to 1000L.

Like this one for ~$40

http://dx.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3- ... -set-82510
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Thanks everyone! Clint, yeah that's the deal. I talked to David and while he said it wasn't a big deal for him, about 2 hours to replace the lower cover, he said someone who hadn't done it before it would take a lot longer. Probably looking at close to 200 for labor, plus plastics, even with the free housing, I'm probably looking at 300 parts and labor. I hate to put another 300 into it. Already have almost 800 into it then I paid for it, and I don't really want to be the owner of a 2600 dollar 06 Buddy..loololololool
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I have an 06 and have owned an 09. Honestly I didn't notice much difference. Then again I ride 6v vintage.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I had mine apart last week. Looks really simple. I think the big deal is the color won't match.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Clint actually, the Sunset was still available in 07, and still available...David said the main thing was you had to remove the bars and all to get the lower off and on... He said he could split it, and not have to do all that, but he knows I'm a stickler on stuff like that. Ended up yesterday when I talked to them again, that parts for the Sunset upper, and Black Lower, which is what I wanted, and labor to do it right would be about 225-250. I still have to figure what to do..??????
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

BuddyRaton wrote:I have an 06 and have owned an 09. Honestly I didn't notice much difference. Then again I ride 6v vintage.
I've seen the newer models, and they are easily twice as bright as mine. But I know what you mean....I ride my motorcycle with a Big headlight and two big spot likes....so I'm spoiled.....
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

SonnyD wrote:that parts for the Sunset upper, and Black Lower, which is what I wanted, and labor to do it right would be about 225-250. I still have to figure what to do..??????
At that price I would buy a front rack and 1 or 2 LED lights.

I have been looking at this one- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SA ... 3UKRB6RHF9
It says that it runs at 1 amp so it should be able to be run off of the charging port(?)

Or if you wire to the battery then 2 of these should be plenty- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AI2 ... 4VJC9AHVTU

And if you ever change scooters you can take the lights off and put them on the new scooter.
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

I added two 5Watt CREE bulbs to the now activated "Deadlights" on my blackjack with my own adapter i made. I didn't know about the 10 watt CREE but the 5watt is definitely brighter than the most expensive headlights at the AutoZone store.
Any know how to get the WHITE head light??? to match the white of the CREE lights. Its not a big deal but its looks funny with 2 different hues of white when you look from the front
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

While the sunset carried into 2007, the inner color of the matte finished plastics did change. The 2006 sunset has a brighter orange "interior" color than the 2007. So, if you change just the lower handlebar cover to get to the 2007 headlight, you're going to have 3 colors of orange on your scooter. Just sayin.