Roughouse 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamryan25

Roughouse 170i

Post by iamryan25 »

A little bird told me they're dropping the 170i in the roughhouse body, and calling it something different.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

That would not be a bad idea.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That would be kinda badass.

You should however be concerned that birds are "talking" to you. :goofy:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Odd, a little bird told me the same thing this weekend. Apparently the dealers are just being informed. I wasn't going to tell, but if word is getting out...

Should be a total kick!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

By the way, I also heard confirmation on the 125 automatic Stella.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

while we're at it, the same bird spilled the beans on the new blue buddy that's coming out next also
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Roughouse 170i

Post by ericalm »

iamryan25 wrote:A little bird told me they're dropping the 170i in the roughhouse body, and calling it something different.
Your little bird is about 75% right from what I've heard.

Another bird told me it's a Roughhouse-style scoot with tall wheels but not the same body.

The Stella 125 Automatic is beyond rumor, totally confirmed, coming for 2014.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

Any RU rumors? I'd almost settle for a copy of the line drawing? :(
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

iamryan25 wrote:while we're at it, the same bird spilled the beans on the new blue buddy that's coming out next also
What's the new blue buddy?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There was a blue concept Buddy at Amerivespa. It's a UK edition:

Untitled by ericalm, on Flickr

This isn't the final version, though. They may have tweaked the colors and graphics, which were done just for the rally. The Union Jack badge says "Great Brit," which I don't even think is the name of the scoot!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

T^he Roughhouse style unit should be a popular bike. Likewise for the automatic Stella. :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:This isn't the final version, though. They may have tweaked the colors and graphics, which were done just for the rally. The Union Jack badge says "Great Brit," which I don't even think is the name of the scoot!
If they're adding it to the Internationals, I'd call it the "Albion", but that might be a little too obscure for non-Britons. "Brighton" might work better for the Quadrophenia-watching market.
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Or f it remains just blue with white it should be the Caledon with the cross of St. Andrew only in the graphics.

:wink: :lol:

Now I'm trying to think of poetic names for other countries/lands -- Columbia for the US, Caledon, Albion, Erin or Hibernia -- any others? We could have lots of Internationals with poetic names!

The RH-like 170i with larger wheels (emphasis on the larger wheels) is DEFINITELY something I'm interested in.
TVB

Post by TVB »

RoadRambler wrote:Or f it remains just blue with white it should be the Caledon with the cross of St. Andrew only in the graphics.
And emblazoned with a thistle.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I wonder if the PGO B-2 is the Rough House like scooter everyone is talking about. 12" tires. EFI. Looks pretty rad to me.

http://www.pgo-scooter.com/products_inf ... 3326153c03
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

BeefSupreme wrote:I wonder if the PGO B-2 is the Rough House like scooter everyone is talking about. 12" tires. EFI. Looks pretty rad to me.

Wouldn't take much to change the 150 to a 170i

Love the speedo and handlebars.

Don't forget to mentally add the front blinker lights.

That'd be a win.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

BeefSupreme wrote:I wonder if the PGO B-2 is the Rough House like scooter everyone is talking about. 12" tires. EFI. Looks pretty rad to me.

Not a fan of the front fender, but it looks like the B-1 is pretty similar and it has a better fender that might fit- http://www.pgo-scooter.com/products_inf ... 30a396a937

Hopefully it has a bigger floor area for your feet, one of my complaints about the Buddy is that my feet don't sit flat.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

275lbs and skinny tires....meh. I think Genuine needs some fresh product but this doesn't appear to be a true R50 successor. I sold my R50 to a friend who commutes and does a little urban adventuring. Its a great bike for a gravel roads and mild off road use. I would much rather see a r50 style scoot with a 125cc GY6 variant and put a decent headlight on it. The stock roughhouse light is pretty anemic. I feel the shortwheel base makes for a more entertaining scoot and still lets me park almost anywhere. I've been looking hard at swapping an R50 to a buddy gy6. The only issue is I don't think you could fit the 130/90 10 tire.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

RoadRambler wrote:Or f it remains just blue with white it should be the Caledon with the cross of St. Andrew only in the graphics.

:wink: :lol:

Now I'm trying to think of poetic names for other countries/lands -- Columbia for the US, Caledon, Albion, Erin or Hibernia -- any others? We could have lots of Internationals with poetic names!

The RH-like 170i with larger wheels (emphasis on the larger wheels) is DEFINITELY something I'm interested in.
How about "Hockey Puck" for Canada? The graphic on the front cowl could be a real hockey puck with a Maple Leaf flag in the center.

Bill in Seattle :)
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'11 220i Blur
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

If I recall correctly calling someone a hockey puck was to imply that they were not very bright. :goofy:
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Looks like a person could be a total "Hooligan" riding either the PGO B1 or B2. If Genuine brings a version of either of these in, with the 170 EFI engine, then I am very interested. Personally I prefer the lower sport-bike like front fender of the B1; which is why I changed my Roughhouse to a Rattler 110 fender.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

OldGuy wrote:which is why I changed my Roughhouse to a Rattler 110 fender.
Pictures, please. - Before and after. :-)
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I didn't take pictures of the before, but if you get a picture of a Roughhouse then you'll see what it was.

For the after, see the Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion section of this forum. Look for the "Rattler in the Roughhouse" topic, not too far down. I really like this new look. Probably makes it faster right? :)

Not sure why, but I think you need to be logged in to see the photos. Enjoy!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Tehe, the "Hooligan" should be fun!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

ericalm wrote:There was a blue concept Buddy at Amerivespa. It's a UK edition:

This isn't the final version, though. They may have tweaked the colors and graphics, which were done just for the rally. The Union Jack badge says "Great Brit," which I don't even think is the name of the scoot!
That same blue will be on the Stella Auto along with an Apple candy red and cream. 8)
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

That really is a nice blue. I like it!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
ScootLemont

Re: Roughouse 170i

Post by ScootLemont »

iamryan25 wrote:A little bird told me they're dropping the 170i in the roughhouse body, and calling it something different.
Sounds similar to the Rattler 110 - (except 4T I assume)
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Alexbv200 wrote:
ericalm wrote:There was a blue concept Buddy at Amerivespa. It's a UK edition:

That same blue will be on the Stella Auto along with an Apple candy red and cream. 8)
No black? :-(
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

No black...
They don't want the colors to cross on both the manual and Auto. (apart from Cream which is a classic)
Also black is a slow seller.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wolfhound wrote:If I recall correctly calling someone a hockey puck was to imply that they were not very bright.
Well, yes, but IF that were true - those at the butt of the joke wouldn't realize it anyway, so no problem. :wink:
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

TVB wrote:If they're adding it to the Internationals, I'd call it the "Albion", but that might be a little too obscure for non-Britons. "Brighton" might work better for the Quadrophenia-watching market.
As long as they don't call it "Brighton" and put Big Ben on the badge like they did with the St. Tropez and the Eiffel Tower. :fp:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Since it's blue..... 50th anniversary Tardis Edition
(can they make the pet carrier bigger on the inside?)
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Sounds awesome!!!!

BTW - the last time a little bird dropped something on me it wasn't inside information!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You got me, Dooglas!!!
TVB

Post by TVB »

jrstone wrote:As long as they don't call it "Brighton" and put Big Ben on the badge like they did with the St. Tropez and the Eiffel Tower. :fp:
As anyone who has consumed American-made television, movies, and comics knows, the Eiffel Tower or the Houses of Parliament clock tower is not only visible from everywhere in Paris or London (respectively), but also from nearly anywhere in France or England.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

I hope they do a Rattler 110 with the 170 or the Roughhouse. If they do the X-Hot it will be too ugly for my tastes.

Looks like a generic rip off of the BWS/Zuma 125(X-Hot 125).
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

ScootLemont wrote:Since it's blue..... 50th anniversary Tardis Edition
If they're making the Auto Stella that blue...well, there's the bike from "The Idiot's Lantern"!
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Hey, what is the best estimate on the timeline for the "RH 170i"? If we know the auto Stella is definite for next year, would the RH 170 be the year after, or could it be next year, too? :?: I hesitate to buy any new model of pretty much anything in its first year (let the kinks get worked out, ya know), but this one has me really interested.

TIA for confirmed tweets from little birds or even just wild and friendly speculation.
Witch

Post by Witch »

ravenlore wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:Since it's blue..... 50th anniversary Tardis Edition
If they're making the Auto Stella that blue...well, there's the bike from "The Idiot's Lantern"!
No, it wasn't a P-series style. And the blue on that Buddy is awesome, but it's a bit too bright metallic for TARDIS blue. ;)
Attachments
onset_vespa.jpg
onset_vespa.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Dealers received info about the Hooligan with the 170i motor. It will come in 2 colors. Black is one, but I forget the other color since I would get black. Tire size is a question. I would want 12 inch tires myself, but when I sat on the 50cc Roughhouse today, I was thinking the seat was already a bit tall...feels almost the same ht. as my Vespa 300 even though the specs say the Vespa has a taller seat?? and the Roughhouse has 10-inch tires. With 12 inch tires, something is going to have to be re-designed or the seat is going to be too tall for a lot of people. Maybe they will just lose some under-seat storage. Strange the dealer info did not mention tire size. Really, I do not want to be going 65-70 mph on 10-inch tires though. I went down to the dealer so sit on a Blur and that is not so easy to do. That hump is too difficult to get over and mounting motorcycle style is harder cause the back of the bike slants up so much. A red Hooligan is still on my radar screen though even if I have ruled out the Blur.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

dkw12002 wrote:Dealers received info about the Hooligan with the 170i motor. It will come in 2 colors. Black is one, but I forget the other color since I would get black. Tire size is a question. I would want 12 inch tires myself, but when I sat on the 50cc Roughhouse today, I was thinking the seat was already a bit tall...feels almost the same ht. as my Vespa 300 even though the specs say the Vespa has a taller seat?? and the Roughhouse has 10-inch tires. With 12 inch tires, something is going to have to be re-designed or the seat is going to be too tall for a lot of people. Maybe they will just lose some under-seat storage. Strange the dealer info did not mention tire size. Really, I do not want to be going 65-70 mph on 10-inch tires though. I went down to the dealer so sit on a Blur and that is not so easy to do. That hump is too difficult to get over and mounting motorcycle style is harder cause the back of the bike slants up so much. A red Hooligan is still on my radar screen though even if I have ruled out the Blur.
the "new" roughhouse is the current PGO X-Hot. thread right here discussing some things about the scooter

topic26041.html
Riding is riding
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Couldn't be exactly cause the X-Hot has a 150 motor and the Hooligan will have the 170i motor. Maybe nothing else will change though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dkw12002 wrote:Couldn't be exactly cause the X-Hot has a 150 motor and the Hooligan will have the 170i motor. Maybe nothing else will change though.
It'll be very similar. X-Hot, 12" tires, 170i engine. Different colors and graphics. Black and Olive green.

The 170i is still not the best for extended daily freeway riding at 65+ MPH at any tire size. Even with larger tires, it's much more of a "fast commuter" and good for highway/slower touring. (I've ridden some freeways in other states where drivers actually kept to speed limits and used turn signals. Insane. These might do better if you live in such a place.)

Occasional or brief runs at those speeds are fine, of course.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I like the red or black, but not the other colors. I will look into the 2014 when it shows up. In checking out the Roughhouse and other scooters, I ran across the Rattler 110 2-stroke. Man, that looks like what I would really want. Was the EPA not fond of it that it is not in the lineup any longer?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dkw12002 wrote:Was the EPA not fond of it that it is not in the lineup any longer?
California wasn't very fond of it - like the 2T Stella. The real issue for Genuine, though, was that it didn't sell very well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
dkw12002 wrote:Was the EPA not fond of it that it is not in the lineup any longer?
California wasn't very fond of it - like the 2T Stella. The real issue for Genuine, though, was that it didn't sell very well.
They sold the 110 2Ts in CA!

The only Genuine model not sold here was the Stella 2T. There was no 2T ban as long as a scoot could pass the emissions tests administered by CARB. Smaller (and cleaner) ones often could.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Ericalm wrote: The 170i is still not the best for extended daily freeway riding at 65+ MPH at any tire size.
Just curious, why is that? Is that because of the displacement only?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

RoaringTodd wrote:
Ericalm wrote: The 170i is still not the best for extended daily freeway riding at 65+ MPH at any tire size.
Just curious, why is that? Is that because of the displacement only?
Partially. The big problem with smaller displacement auto scooters on the freeway is that any time you have to decelerate, the CVT winds down and it's difficult to get back up to speed quickly. A larger engine certainly helps compensate for this.

I occasionally do freeway jaunts on my Vespa LX. Thanks to a big bore kit, etc., it's actually got a higher top speed than the Helix 250 I just bought. But for the reason above, the Helix is a much better freeway scoot.

The other issue is that though the engine is capable, the rest of the scooter just isn't built for that kind of riding. There were heat issues with the early Buddy 170s when ridden like this, though I think that's been corrected. (It was in the controller settings for the injection.) But you'll put more duress on brakes, transmission, etc.

The Hooligan will have front and rear disc brakes, which will help. I'd also shorten the maintenance intervals if doing a lot of riding like this. More frequent oil changes and transmission checks. The clutch will likely wear out faster. We're talking tens of thousands of miles here — several years of riding for the average rider.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Hooligan won't be here until April 2014.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I think lots of people took and take the Honda 150ih on the freeway too. Heck, I take my Grom at 125ccs onto the freeway all the time, ride wot for miles and just stay in the right hand lane where there isn't a lot of braking and accelerating necessary anyway. 170cc should be plenty of displacement to ride at freeway speeds all day long. If I couldn't use the freeway, I'd just stick with a much smaller scooter...maybe even 50cc. Actually, that's what I do do. Around town, I just ride my Metropolitan scooter. The Ninja 300, Vespa 300, and Zero S are all three made for commuting by interstate and are excellent commuters. The 170i Hooligan should be a good commuter too if they get the suspension, brakes, and tires right.