Are there better years for the Stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

artfull dodger

Are there better years for the Stella?

Post by artfull dodger »

Are there years to avoid or look for when looking to buy a used Stella? Most of the local 2T's have under 2000 miles on them since we cannot really ride year round. Several were just errand runners in camp grounds, so very light use for the most part. All seem to be pre 2010 models that I am finding. I know to avoid the automatic 4t and I have not even seen one of those for sale locally. Thanks in advance. Mike
Silly NT's....I have Asperger's!!!
johnk

Post by johnk »

According to this post, there was a check-valve problem with the oil tank on 2009s, but nothing major.

As far as I know, they changed very little from year to year. If you have options, I would buy as new as possible, just to maximize the life you'll get out of things like rubbers and electricals, but the difference will be slight.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Thanks John, the newest is a mint condition 2009 in the advacado green(the color I really want) but he is asking 2500 for it and its about a 3 to 4 hour drive to where its at. Closer to home there is the lighter green 2004 for $1800, then a red one back down in KY where the green one is, its an 2008 for $1950. I am talking to someone in KY that might take mine in trade, he has a Stella and a Vespa LX150 he might let go of. Waiting on pics and his thoughts on prices at the moment. Been watching videos on youtube about the Stella, some ride videos ect.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Mike,

The 2009 is just fine. I just don't fill the oil tank up the whole way. Problem solved. Sounds exciting. Hope you can close the deal on one of them.

Yeah, I remember obsessing over the review vids and rides. You'll love the sound of the 2T.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I wish I could just pull the $$ out of the bank on the green one down in KY. Not that well blessed $$ wise. If I can get my elite 250 sold or even a partial trade for a Stella, I will be happy. Found a couple more places to advertise it. Hoping for the best. Mike
johnk

Post by johnk »

I think $2500 is a fair asking price if it really is in good condition. You might be able to talk the seller down a bit.

If you'll be loading the bike on a trailer/truck anyway, there isn't much difference between a 4-hour drive and a 1-hour drive.

If it's your dream color, follow your heart! My 4T is in avocado, and I think it's beautiful.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Whats your opinion of the 4t engine vs the 2t 2 stroke? I havent seen a 4T for sale around here for sale, but in case one pops up. If he still has in a couple months when I might be getting a signing bonus(its contract year for us at work), the I might go look and make a offer for it. I agree its a fair price on a mint example, only has 705 mines on it. Just a tad beyond the budget. Even if I got top doller for my current scoot, I would 1000 or more short yet.
johnk

Post by johnk »

If I could only have one, it would be the 2T—no question. The 2T is a quick, rowdy, simple machine. The 4T is a lumbering and ornery (but still loveable!) machine. I'm really happy to have both, but the only real advantage to the 4T over the 2T is the reduced emissions. If you find a nice 4T that checks all your boxes, you should certainly consider buying it, but the 2T would be my first choice.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

No worries about emmisions, even a 2T probably puts out less than my 14mpg(on a good day)92 Wrangler that sits on 35" tires with 6" of lift. Thats one reason I use the scoot around town for errands. I am used to the power of a 250, so a lumbering 4t might not be the best unless it ticks off the other boxes. A classic 2 stroke is keeping more in line with my desires of a classic Italian scooter in looks and sounds. The hunt continues! Mike
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Given the fact that LML (the builder of the Stellas) is out of business, that makes the 4T and the Auto truly orphans. The 2T has the big advantage that most mechanical parts and many body parts are interchangeable with P/PX Vespas. You don't see too many post 2010 2T Stellas because that was when Genuine introduced the 4T Stella (the 50 state Stella).

An observation on a 10-15 year old scooter which has less than 2,000 miles on the clock. That means something like 140-200 miles per year. I put that many miles on one of my scooters in a week (sometimes in a day). When looking for a scooter, I would not choose one that spent most of its time in the back of the garage. Of course, if you are looking for a 2T scooter in the 125-200cc size, you don't have many choices.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

With Indianas scooter climate geared more to campers/snowbirds vs folks using this level of scooter for a daily rider. Higher milage scooters are not common, low milage are. Most every Stella I find in this general area has under 2000 miles on them. If it starts easy and runs strong, then I would be ok, If its non running from a gummed up carb, thats ok to for the right price. I was a small engine mechanic for over 20 years before I got hired at the local factory building transmissions for FCA. I now have my old scoot posted with the local SC down in Indy. See if I can roust up any interest or a Stella. I know about the 4t and the auto being an orphan design. Shame what happened to LML after so many years. The 2t sharing its parts/design with the Vespa px is one reason I would choose the 2t over a 4t. I put between 1 and 2 thousand miles each summer on my scoot. With so many back country roads around here, its a never ending place to explore on a scooter(especially southern part of the state)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

artfull dodger wrote:With Indianas scooter climate geared more to campers/snowbirds vs folks using this level of scooter for a daily rider. Higher milage scooters are not common, low milage are.
Actually, low mileage used scooters tend to be common everywhere. I presume that is because there are two kinds of riders. Some buy them as a toy and seldom ride - or maintain - them. Some are more serious riders who regularly ride their scooters (in season or whatever) and regularly maintain them.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I agree with that as well. Usually the overall condition will show whether the scoot was maintained to any degree or not. Just have to see what comes my way or gets offered up for my current scoot. Mike