Front Rack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbguy

Front Rack

Post by climbguy »

I am thinking about getting a front rack for my 170i

I have a few questions.

1. how much weight can it support?
2. when using it, how does it impact handling
3. I have the Oxford Green, does anyone have a picture of how it looks with the front rack? I am wondering how the racing stripe will look.
[/u]
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

I don't know what it is officially rated for, but it feels solid and could probably hold almost anything you could get strapped to it.

As far as handling, it doesnt affect much. I usually use mine for smaller items though, so if you wanted to move an anvil, YMMV.

With the racing stripe, it looks fine if you take the time during install to cut and tuck the stripe properly. When I received mine, the rack had already been installed by the previous owner and he did a less than stellar job with the stripe decals.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Not real sure but I think I have read somewhere that its rated at around 10 lbs give or take a pound or 2.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

walke2jd wrote:I don't know what it is officially rated for, but it feels solid and could probably hold almost anything you could get strapped to it.

As far as handling, it doesnt affect much. I usually use mine for smaller items though, so if you wanted to move an anvil, YMMV.

With the racing stripe, it looks fine if you take the time during install to cut and tuck the stripe properly. When I received mine, the rack had already been installed by the previous owner and he did a less than stellar job with the stripe decals.

Would you mind posting a picture?
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

agrogod wrote:Not real sure but I think I have read somewhere that its rated at around 10 lbs give or take a pound or 2.
Whats the back one rated for?
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Rear rack--I think around 10-15 pounds. The undersupports that you can't see aren't terribly strong...neither are some of the racks....

Front rack--I've never really done much more then 5-10 pounds. I feel it handles a little differently, but not bad. The part that I find most distracting is that when the wheel turns and it stays fixed....I don't know why, but I always have to readjust to that.

Also, you will want to keep your load size down so that you don't obstruct your headlight...you want others to see you.

Heavy stuff I put on the floor board, or in saddlebags....and I've really weighted my poor scooter down on occasion with my Costco runs. :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
skipper20

Re: Front Rack

Post by skipper20 »

climbguy wrote:I am thinking about getting a front rack for my 170i

I have a few questions.

1. how much weight can it support?
2. when using it, how does it impact handling
3. I have the Oxford Green, does anyone have a picture of how it looks with the front rack? I am wondering how the racing stripe will look.
[/u]
I also have a 170i and had its front rack installed when I bought the scooter. Not sure what the exact weight limit is but I'm guessing 8 - 10 lbs. I put a small Prima roll bag on it and it looks good and doesn't affect the scooter's handling. For short trips it carries my lunch and camera. The zippered ends each carry a water bottle. The bags come in 2 colors - black and brown. I chose black as it seems to go better with the Italia's olive green paint. Most importantly, it doesn't interfere with the Italia's headlight.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
Milt

Post by Milt »

I carried a boxed pair of shock absorbers for the Harley on the front rack for the Buddy 150 with no problems; like someone else mentioned, check for headlight clearance when loading that rack.
Freedom is a package deal
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I think the most awkward thing I've ever carried on the front (maybe just 'seemed' awkward) was when I had my tires changed out, and brought the front tire back home with me. To carry it, I opened the rack all the way up, pushed the tire around the open rack, then let the rack close. The awkward part, I guess, other than how I had to put it on there, was that there was less than an inch of clearance between the tire I was carrying and the front fender, which had to be able to turn of course. I checked a time or two, to make sure it hadn't shifted, in the hour or so ride home. :?

Getting it off once I got home was a bit awkward too.... :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's