Retirement Scooter Recommendations for My Wife??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stephen Gomes

Retirement Scooter Recommendations for My Wife??

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Hello, first post here.

My wife will be retiring on Friday, and I would like to surprise her with something nice. For many years she has been wistfully ogling scooters as a means to get around our small town after retirement.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about them, but recent cramming for information has lead me to Genuine. This is base largely on a recommendation by a women's scooter forum (can't remember the name) which listed Genuine as a good brand for women. My wife is 61yrs old and is average in dimensions and condition.

I guess I am considering the 170i, and will actually be looking at some later today at the San Francisco Scooter Center - I live in Alameda CA.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the best scooter for her, as well as dealers within reasonable driving distance of the Bay Area. However, I would assume that selecting something near home with good service would be major considerations.

Thanks for any advice anyone might offer.

Steve
TVB

Post by TVB »

Sounds like you're on the right track with this. The Buddy 170 is a good choice for a lot of people.

Most of the time I'd suggest being careful about surprising someone with a scooter, but if you're sure she really wants one, and are confident about selecting the right color, you're probably safe. :) Also keep in mind that she'd need to get certified to operate a motorcycle, which would require taking a short safety course.
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

What kinds of speeds are the roads around you that she would be traveling on? I have a 125 and can get it up to 60ish but primarily use it for hopping around the city. I am getting 100 mpg+ and it is a lot of fun to ride.

The 170 could be overkill for her, but that is a sharp bike! You can't go wrong with any of the Buddy's!
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Hey, welcome to ModernBuddy! Like the other people here said, you are on the right track, just make sure you get the right color because it can be expensive and/or time consuming swapping or painting panels! I have two 50cc Genuine scooters and they get me and my wife around with ease in the Madison, WI area but we don't need to go over 45. I would go with a 125 or 170i if you are worried about getting up to speed a bit faster or going on some of the 45-55 mph roads more comfortably.

On another note, how is Alameda now? I used to live on the Navy base as a child...is it still there in ruins or has it been opened up to the public to build on? I remember taking the ferry across the bay to SF many a time as a kid and having some minestrone in a break bowl....ugh now I am getting hungry! :D
Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The forum is probably ScooterDiva.com, which is a great place. Not as populated as these, but very fun.

I would ask the same things. some MSF courses will let you take it on a scooter, some won't. You might do well to find that information beforehand, and then surprise her with that first. After that, you can go shopping for the perfect scooter, helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc :P.

The Buddy is a truly fantastic scooter though. I love mine, and my wife is getting her own this week.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

A 170i would be perfect for getting around Alameda.

As others have stated, I would be much less certain about the surprise element of the equation.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Go for the 170. 150cc is the minimum for freeway in Ca and all the bridges are freeways. My daughter took the safety course offered at the old Alameda Navy base. For buzzing around town these things can't be beat, but if you need to you can cover some miles. I rode a 150 Buddy from Ohio to the Bay Area a few years ago. It continued for over 8000 flawless miles until someone stole it.

The Berkeley hills offer some great riding! If you feel more adventurous the ride to Alice's in Woodside or out Mines Rd to The Junction for lunch are good choices.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

TVB wrote:Sounds like you're on the right track with this. The Buddy 170 is a good choice for a lot of people.

Most of the time I'd suggest being careful about surprising someone with a scooter, but if you're sure she really wants one, and are confident about selecting the right color, you're probably safe. :) Also keep in mind that she'd need to get certified to operate a motorcycle, which would require taking a short safety course.
I'll second the above about the Buddy 170i and I'm also in agreement about the "Surprise, I got you a scooter" potential problem. It seems like there are always a number of ads on Craigslist that say I got this scooter for my wife or GF and she didn't like it so now I have to sell it. Scooters have to look right and feel right for a person to like them so I would suggest a surprise visit to your nearest Buddy dealer so your wife can look at and get a feel for what's available. Then, if she truly likes a particular scooter you could whip out your checkbook or credit card and say "Surprise, it's yours!"

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

The best gifts is to take her shopping for a scooter and find something that she loves and is perfect for her.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I'm with skipper20 and Lokky on this one.......You know....kinda go for a ride, stop by the ole scooter shop....let her take the lead.....hace checkbook at the ready.

Let us know how it goes.

Rob
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

She is 61. How does she do on bicycles? How is her balance and reflexes? Is she strong of body? Good bones? Has she ever rode a motor driven bike before? You may want to consider these things with her before a purchase. A hard fall could be coming with even a most athletic beginner rider, much less someone even a bit impaired in a few areas. These things happen when we age and balance, motor skills, reflexes and muscle memory are not as easily applied to new things.

That said is 40mph fast enough? I like the Honda Metropolitan. Previous model is plentiful on the used market and reliable, the 2013 model is fuel injected and looks good, too. Either one might be a good choice for your wife :)
Riding is riding
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

JHScoot wrote:That said is 40mph fast enough? I like the Honda Metropolitan. Previous model is plentiful on the used market and reliable, the 2013 model is fuel injected and looks good, too. Either one might be a good choice for your wife :)
Alameda may be a small town, but traffic can run pretty quickly on several of the avenues. I endorse the idea of a 170i simply because of the extra security that having the capability to keep up with traffic offers.

One of my biggest dislikes of most 50 cc scoots is the inability to get out of a situation where traffic starts to accelerate and the "sitting duck" feeling that accompanies that situation.
Mary Somerville

Awwww...you're swell!

Post by Mary Somerville »

How thoughtful!

I'm a woman of some maturity (not quite retired) and I love my 50cc Buddy. I just go around town mostly on side streets. I like that I can use the bike lanes.

So it depends on where she'd go and what her comfort level is.

Can I make one other suggestion? Buy her a seat in an MSF course, let her take it on a scooter and get some experience on that. And promise her one of her choice after that maybe?

The confidence I got from the MSF course was important. As well as the safety skills. Also, I had a better grasp of what I might choose once I'd tried a couple.

EDIT TO ADD: in addition to a registration at a course, this would look wicked cute with a bow at dinner... http://www.scooterworks.com/genuine-bud ... cts-41.php
Last edited by Mary Somerville on Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Christophers wrote:
JHScoot wrote:That said is 40mph fast enough? I like the Honda Metropolitan. Previous model is plentiful on the used market and reliable, the 2013 model is fuel injected and looks good, too. Either one might be a good choice for your wife :)
Alameda may be a small town, but traffic can run pretty quickly on several of the avenues. I endorse the idea of a 170i simply because of the extra security that having the capability to keep up with traffic offers.

One of my biggest dislikes of most 50 cc scoots is the inability to get out of a situation where traffic starts to accelerate and the "sitting duck" feeling that accompanies that situation.
oh, i see. when he posted "get around" our small town, well, you get the idea of my impression. :wink:

so i suggested the 'Met for its lightweight and smaller size and easy manageability. i think the NEW Kymco Sento may fit that bill, too. only with a punchier 110cc motor. or 100cc or whatever it is :)

oh, and so far as the age thing? just talking from a little experience here with a parent who crashed the bike at MSF and a Buddy 150 in a parking lot. a very capable senior, too. but not on a bike. and i think studies do bear out additional challenges to completely new riders over 50 or so. if not a bit older

just saying its a real consideration and being the OP mentions he knows nothing of scoots and the wife "ogles" them from afar....people need to understand what they are and aren't and what they may be facing IF a fall occurs

again, just talking from two HARD falls my mid 60's mother took and never got back on. nothing was broken but both times took a good 5 to 6 weeks for total recovery from bumps, bruises, abrasions, sprains, and neck and back stiffness and pain. and she was fully geared and in great condition for a person even 50, much less mid 60's. but riding would just not come to her and i think her years had something to do with it, as it does for many others. she simply was not familiar and will never be

easy does it imo
Riding is riding
Snap

Post by Snap »

Go test ride all the candidates on your list.

The Buddy is fairly small in stature and suited my wife where I fund a Vespa more to my size and more solidly built. We got the Buddy as it wasn't for me.
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

WOW!!!! - completely overwhelmed (but, not surprised) by the outpouring of thoughtful and caring advice.

First and foremost, I would like to clear up two issues. My wife and I both have recent bicycling and scootering experience; and, we take the safety side of things very seriously. We understand the risks involved and would not place ourselves or others at risk by not doing so. As I expect that she will allow me saddle time, we will BOTH be taking a safety course and passing the required riders test. But, I very much appreciate the cautionary messages.

The second issue is the one of "The Surprise". Well, now is a good time to let you all know that I did the deed earlier today..........it is the Pamplona 170i. The dealership has agreed to deliver the scooter to our home, but should Wifey decide she would prefer another color or model, we have an agreement as part of the original deal.

So, now I can concentrate on getting a proper bow and balloon to finish off the surprise.............but, now I kinda want one too.....hmmm?

But, afterall, isn't retirement really just a second childhood???

Still working out the exact delivery day, but likely between now and Friday, which is her last day.

Check back for how it works out.

Heartfelt thanks again to all of you.

Steve
TVB

Post by TVB »

Like I said before, but with a little more confidence: You're on the right track. Especially if the dealership is willing to swap out a different scoot if the Pamplona isn't quite what she wants. Or maybe you can keep the Pamplona, and she can pick out her choice of Mocha, Oxford, Italia, or Silver.:)
La

Post by La »

I would recommend signing up for that MSF course ASAP, if you haven't done so already. The courses can often be filled for several months ahead in the summer.

Have fun!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Congrats!

I hope you two have lots of scooting fun together! I know we do.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

This is awesome. I wish you and your beloved many happy (s)miles.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You have done your homework and you have made an excellent choice
with the 170i. Enjoy and keep us posted. :D
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Please take pictures! I'd love to see the look on her face...I think you're awesome! How thoughtful.
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Well, it couldn't have gone any better. She loved the Pamplona Edition at first sight.

I called her at work to have her come home for something "Important" - actually she needed to sign some papers. As she made the turn into the driveway of our little house, she saw it sitting there at an appealing angle (doubtful there exists an unappealing one!!), and her face was immediately consumed by the widest grin imaginable.

Make, model, features, color, everything seemed perfect as she circled the Buddy, seemingly unable to shed the shocked-induced smile - and then the hugs and kisses made my day.

Diego, the Salesman, was clearly moved, as he commented that stuff like this is what makes his job special, at the San Francisco Scooter Center - with not a hint of insincerity.

Technically, tomorrow is her last day of work. We have our DMV appts. and our MSF-approved safety classes already scheduled.

I'll try to get some pics posted this evening.

Tks again to all of you.

Steve
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Very cool thread Steve.

Thanks for sharing your story as it unfolded and pleased your bride is tickled.

Happy retirement and scootin for both of you!

Rob
TVB

Post by TVB »

:clap:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Stephen Gomes wrote:.............but, now I kinda want one too.....hmmm?.....
Welcome to the club! :P

It always starts with just one scooter....
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Michelle said :D Now go ahead and get yourself one too while you both are still young enough to ride together. And you are a good man, Stephen
Gomes :clap:
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Opinions on the Blur???? :oops: :oops:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Congratulations, congratulations to your wife on her retirement. The two of you are embarking on a journey together in retirement which is as special and should be cherished as the day you first married. It's been a long and difficult struggle to get to this point.
Yes, get yourself a scoot to join her on rides. As I am not much of a fan of the asthetics of the Blur, I would suggest you get another Buddy. Not that the Blur's not a great scooter though I know the Buddy is....

Mazel tov.....
You two deserve it.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

Take the Blur for a ride, but I agree the Buddy can be a bit more functional with the flat floor. I like the idea of the Blur's increased speed and it is a sporty look! But the 170i gives you the speed and the Buddy's functionality. Ride 'em both and see what you like!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Stephen Gomes wrote:Opinions on the Blur????
If a main point of two scooters is that you would ride together, I would suggest a second Buddy or other model similar to a Buddy.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What they said1 :clap:
Syd

Post by Syd »

I rode a Blur (the older, 150cc Blur, but the bodies are similar) and found the riding position not to my liking. I'm taller (6'3), and longer of leg (34"), so you may fit very differently.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help and encouragement. And, I will try to get some pics posted of my wife and the scoot.

Hoping this isn't blasphemy, but I think I agree with the input about the Blur; and, considering my more substantial shadow, I think I am seriously considering a Sportcity 250. It has a bit more go than the Buddy, and with the flat floor, it'll feel more like we are scootering together.

That may happen as soon as tomorrow, but I welcome any thoughts on the SC250. It will actually be cheaper than the Buddy, which seems a good deal to me.

Thx again.

Steve
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Interesting. What year is it? Weighs in at 326 lbs dry, 15" wheels, 61 mpg,
80 mph top speed, made by Piaggio who makes the Vespa so it should be
of very good quality. Do you have a dealer near by in case you need servicing or parts? Keep us posted, sounds like a great scoot, but maybe a little faster than the 170i. Dont run off and leave the wife behind! :wink:
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Thanks for the thoughts.

The vintage of the Sportcity 250 is quite interesting. There are a number of them around, and they are being called "Leftover New 2009's". They are indeed new, with no miles on the odo; and being offered for $2999. A number of them have been popping up in threads over at the Aprilia Forum, and they seem to be the real deal; but, I have to admit to a bit of edginess regarding the age and the price.

One poster has advised that it not all that unusual for a supplier to make a production run based on orders from other countries; but then, as political or economic climates change, the markets dry up, leaving a surplus that gets doled out to other countries over the next number of years. In support of this line of thinking, one owner found a destination sticker on his scooter marked for "Central African Republic". I hope that all Aprilia's are built to the same standard, and that no shortcuts are taken based on expected destination.

I don't know.....I guess that sounds plausible. But, regardless, the scoot gets high marks from virtually every review I have found. And, there are a couple of Aprilia dealers nearby for warranty and service work.

Thanks for helping out a newb in what is becoming a bit of a daunting task.

Steve
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I may be wrong but the 09 may be the last one brought in to this country.
Since you have dealers close by parts and repairs should not be a problem.
The fact that it is an 09 but never used is not a problem as long as the
dealer will do the prep work. And the price is outstanding. You are seeing
close out pricing on models that are now 4 years old. And I have not read
a bad review on the SC 250. Are you dealing with the dealer that sold you
the 170i? If so you are probably OK. :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

new stock is fine. They keep them crated until they're ready to go onto the floor, so long as the warranty is in full effect, 3k is a fantastic price.
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Very encouraging information. Thx. As far as I can tell, 2009 seems to be the last production year of sc250 imports, but there are more recent used available which may have come through Canada.

Unfortunately, the dealer who sold me the Buddy doesn't carry Aprilia. I wish I could give them more business.

Thanks again.

Steve
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Although they are very different bikes and come from different factories, I bought a NEW 09 Sportcity One 125 in November. I've put 1200 miles on it so far and it's been a solid machine. The Sportcity One is a budget model assembled in China, so I would imagine that the more premium, Italian-built 250 would only be better. I would have to agree with the others that said you might leave your wife in the dust though.
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Well, just did the deal on the Aprilia, so now I have a scoot I can enjoy with my wife and her 170i. Went a little crazy and also got a Kendon dual rail standup trailer. Our thinking is to be able to take the scooters on outings so we will have easy transportation once at our destinations. Sounds like a lot of fun for a couple of old retired folks.

We pick up the Sportcity next week, and will post pics of both scooters then.

Thx to everyone - the scooter community is a wonderful one, indeed.

Steve
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

Very nice looking bike at a fantastic price! I'm sure you and your wife will be REALLY enjoying retirement! Good thought on the trailer as well. I'm sure you'll find many places to ride other than your neighborhood!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The trailer is a great idea. I have a 6x8 flat floor unit that I got at
Tractor Supply. I have it set up haul the R9i/hack or 2 scoots. I
trailer mine to Bryson City. NC to ride the mountain roads twice a year.
Handy to have to take one to the dealer for servicing. Ride safe and be
sure to stop now and then for the wife to catch up! :rofl: I think you
did yourself proud on this deal :D
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Yeah, the trailer is pretty expensive, but it tilts up to a depth of 27", the width of the wheels, and has casters so, once vertical, it can be rolled over right next to the house.

http://www.kendonusa.com/trailer_combo.html#prettyPhoto

Pretty neat.

Thx guys.

Steve
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Great trailer, not cheap, but convenient. Easy to store. I use mine for hauling
other stuff as well as the scoots, cost me $999.95 at Tractor Supply.
Now you can trailer in to far away spots to ride. :D
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

This so exciting and I am happy for you both!
You can never go wrong with a Genuine scooter.
so tough, so pink
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Stephen Gomes wrote:
Unfortunately, the dealer who sold me the Buddy doesn't carry Aprilia. I wish I could give them more business.

Thanks again.

Steve
You can, just have your services done there :P
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

That was a good idea, but I spoke with them this morning, and they said they don't usually service Aprilia, but they might make an exception - they like me.... :oops:

Unfortunately, I have heard from more than one source that Aprilia does not offer the best factory support in the U.S. with regards to parts and service. I know of one dealer who has just recently discontinued the line for that reason.

Going forward, I hope that does not become an issue.

Man, I sure wish Genuine offered a flat floor scooter in the 250cc range. A scaled up 170i would have been just perfect for me. Maybe someday.

Steve
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

a scaled up Buddy would be awesome. a lightweight 250 with 10in wheels? or 12in if you prefer? yup, sign me up :)
Riding is riding
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I would imagine that any Piaggio dealer would be able to service it. Parts can be a pain though if they are body panels or anything else that it doesn't share with other models. I've been messing with a dealer for over 3 months just trying to get a couple badges sent to me.