Got a new ride replete with CVT!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brianwheelies

Got a new ride replete with CVT!

Post by brianwheelies »

Haven't posted much since selling my Rattler but have rejoined the ranks of scooterdom and this is how:
I thought my Rattler was nice but this thing rocks! Bought with 58 miles on the clock and rode it 7 miles to get it to my brother's house where it waits in the garage for me to find a place with a garage! T - 2 weeks. :lol:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Nice. Congrats!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Nice. is that the SR50?

Fast beasts, and I'm fond of the bigger tires.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Lostmycage wrote:Nice. Congrats!
Nice looking but besides being an Aprilia, what exactly is it?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Nice bike!

The Aprilia is an awesome 50cc with massive tuning potential. I've ridden with a guy who was embarassing 250cc bikes from 0-55 on a kitted SR50 and it still wasn't tuned fully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aprilia_SR50
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

skipper20 wrote:
Nice looking but besides being an Aprilia, what exactly is it?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
Thanks for compliments guys.

It is a 2009 SR50 R Factory that was purchased new in October 2012. Has water cooling, fuel injection, and 13" wheels with discs front and rear.
Rides very smooth and the steering feels very stable and unscooter-like.

Everything is of very high quality and I don't plan on changing anything other than removing variator limiting spacer.
z20k

Post by z20k »

Oh wow I love those.. so fast at just 50cc..

If I get my HD200 sold and can afford one someday I hope I can get one.
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

z20k wrote:Oh wow I love those.. so fast at just 50cc..

If I get my HD200 sold and can afford one someday I hope I can get one.
I would never have bought one had I not gotten a steal. After riding it, it is worth the asking price. Just being FI means it consumes very little 2t oil as well as fuel and yet makes great power. Should not have a combustion chamber full of carbon build up for a long time!
greg531

Post by greg531 »

I don't think there is any variator restriction, you have to remap it.....The dealer should have done it.....Putting it to test mode.....
I have a member of my scooter club, that had a 70cc kit in it, and was going 70 mph.....
He is going to 90cc. and hoping for 80 mph!
A good forum for them is at AF1.....
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Again, it is a nice looking scoot and I'm especially intrigued with the 13" wheels and tires but at less than 1/2 the engine size of your ex-Rattler 110, what makes it better? Bottom line. In it's current configuration, what's its top speed compared to the Rattler's top speed? TIA,

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in AZ
'12 Italia 170i "The Olive Pit"
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

80mph is easily attainable with a 70cc and the correct timing. If you can get the jug tuned just right, it should break 90mph with the right transmission components. My RH50 was clocked at 62 and I haven't even removed the CDI limitations yet... so still capped at 9K rpm. Planning on capping at 13K with better rear end gearing.

Welcome back brianwheelies!
mattgordon

Nice

Post by mattgordon »

Top of the food-chain amongst 50cc scooters, IMHO.

Congratulations!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Darn you. I have a '83 Honda ct110 trail bike that I'm going to sell when I get back to Seattle in early April and I've been thinking seriously about buying a Yamaha Zuma 125 with the proceeds. Now you've got me thinking about an Aprilia SR50 instead. I do like the larger 13" wheels and tires and the FI is a plus but most importantly, the claims of 50+ mph do not appear to be an exaggeration. Wow. How can you beat that? I'm just curious as to how it would be in an occasional off-road situation. Any experience with that?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The only bear with that is that the parts are usually a lot more expensive, and of course if you go nuts with it, your fuel consumption goes way up. Once I get to 45mpg at 70mph, I start thinking "I can get a used 500-700cc MC for less." A friend of mine had a 70cc kitted SR50, and loved it. He is a small engine mechanic, so even if he melted a piston or two while tweaking, it wasn't much to him. it was ridiculously fast.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

skipper20 wrote:
Again, it is a nice looking scoot and I'm especially intrigued with the 13" wheels and tires but at less than 1/2 the engine size of your ex-Rattler 110, what makes it better? Bottom line. In it's current configuration, what's its top speed compared to the Rattler's top speed? TIA,

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in AZ
My Rattler was the 50. Nice bike but could not match the quality as far as components, ride, handling, or speed of the Aprilia. I did get a new shock for my Rattler as well as a pipe, jetting, transmission parts to try and make it faster but never could get it all dialed in.

The Aprilia rides very smooth over bumps, has stable big bike handling(couldn't believe it at first) and fuels perfectly.

Also has a 2 gallon tank. That will be about 180 mile range!

It isn't broken in yet so I will be taking it easy. The lights are really good too!

It also has excellent reliability so not really worried about parts. Still have 10 months of warranty as well.

And NO offroading for this machine. It's like a little sportbike.

Does have a tall seat height though.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Yeah, very well built! They are highly treasured around these parts when sold used.

13" tires...whee! that's got to be really nice on a smaller scoot.