I am creating a Two-Wheel Awareness Event. You're Invited.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LunaP

I am creating a Two-Wheel Awareness Event. You're Invited.

Post by LunaP »

The following is simply a copy/paste from the Facebook group and coinciding Event I created on Facebook. If you'd like to join on FB, search for the Group 'Two-Wheel Awareness'... it should be open to public for finding and joining.
Alternatively, if you so choose, you can find me and friend me... just add a message with the friend request telling me who you are and to add you to the Group/Event. I've done this so that the word may spread about this. Who knows, maybe it could become something big in a couple years?

Eventually I will stumble upon a more clever name. For those of you who are not familiar with me or my story, if you'd like to read it, please see the note I posted.

Here's what I plan on doing, everyone:
On January 27th, 2013- exactly one year since my accident- I have decided to stand on the same street corner where I could have died.

I will stand there for hours. I will stand with a large sign. On the sign will be a plea to any motorist who passes and sees me, to remind them that even in the middle of winter, on the most benign of days, their negligence could kill somebody on two wheels. Something provocative and profound, but NOT offensive or intimidating.

The point is to make people think. Open their eyes more, literally and metaphorically.

I'd love it if people joined me in this. Citywide. Nationwide. Doesn't matter. You have been added to this group because I want to start something, and this is my personal invitation to you to participate.

Thank you for considering this. Even if you can't participate, please share this event and group with others... I've made both the group and event open to anyone. I will be doing this, regardless of whether anybody supports me or shares the experience.
Attachments
WFM.jpg
WFM.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Good for you! Wife and I have joined MAFT, Motorcycle Awareness Foundation of Tennessee and will be soon trained to make presentations to high schools, companies and other identifiable groups that primarily drive cars and trucks. You are on the right track so go for it!

Karl
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Don't overlook local media as another source of getting the word out. Lots of folks still watch the local morning news, or listen to the radio on the way to work. If a local radio station or newspaper knew about your idea it could easily reach thousands more people in your vicinity who might otherwise be totally unaware of your crusade.

In a world where most "news" is reporting about the latest crisis or crime, a good human interest story could be a welcome change.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

thatvwbusguy wrote:Don't overlook local media as another source of getting the word out. Lots of folks still watch the local morning news, or listen to the radio on the way to work. If a local radio station or newspaper knew about your idea it could easily reach thousands more people in your vicinity who might otherwise be totally unaware of your crusade.

In a world where most "news" is reporting about the latest crisis or crime, a good human interest story could be a welcome change.
I agree... I have thought very much about this. I am seriously considering writing the paper or contacting the local news channel to see if they would be interested in doing a story on what I'm doing, and why. I'm waiting a little bit, because I'd love to be able to tell them that I have a handful of people participating with me... or maybe that I hope to make it an annual event where I take pledges and raise money for crash victims in need, or one of the area Volunteer Rescue Squads.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Considering your accident, that of others I know, AND how people having been blowing intersections lately, I'm in.

I'll share it out as well.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

skully93 wrote:Considering your accident, that of others I know, AND how people having been blowing intersections lately, I'm in.

I'll share it out as well.
Thank you very much, Skully! It means a lot to me, and I know I'm not the only one.
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

You might also want to check FB for Scooter Club pages to share the event with.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

you go girl !!!!! I'm so glad that you have recovered and are able to use your story to "coach." 8) Will the new scoot be with yoU????
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

avonpirate wrote:you go girl !!!!! I'm so glad that you have recovered and are able to use your story to "coach." 8) Will the new scoot be with yoU????
Absolutely... I want to take a nice photo of me, the Vespa, and the sign on the corner, if for no other reason than to 'share' it around on social media after/during the event... and I'll be encouraging anybody else who participates to do the same.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Bumpity bump

EDIT to the bump:
I've contacted WTVR 6 and WRIC 8, the local news channels, in hopes that one of them will take interest in the story.

I'm also hoping to find a possible contact at the local paper.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Check with Channel 12. They eat that kind of story up! They're also pretty decent people to work with.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lostmycage wrote:Check with Channel 12. They eat that kind of story up! They're also pretty decent people to work with.
Will do, thankies!