Variator Damage from Sliders?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

az_slynch

Variator Damage from Sliders?

Post by az_slynch »

I was considering changing out my variator rollers for Dr. Pulley sliders. My shop warned me that sliders can cause damage to the variator and void my warranty. I'm a bit skeptical myself.

Has anyone here experienced variator damage by using Dr. Pulley sliders?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I've done about 20,000 miles on sliders. No problems at all when properly maintained.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I've done about 20,000 miles on sliders. No problems at all when properly maintained.
Nope. 30K or so with sliders and no problems caused by them.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Love my sliders in the Buddy! Plan to use them in my Vespa when the time comes.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Thank you for the input. Normally, I don't worry about things like warranties, as all my other bikes are now at least 25 years old and were well out of warranty when I got them. Plus, you never consider such stuff when someone drops off a gutted '85 Elite 80 and says "Have fun with it!" :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

This can only happen if you use an over-range driven pulley. The only part that gets worn is the part of the ramp that touches during idle, but even that won't "wear through"; it stops once it wears a small groove at the idle end of the ramps. So you'll notice it when you take it apart, but not when riding.

Sliders on all else OEM equipment will be fine.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

all of this begs the question (which I'm sure I could find if I dug deep), what are our stock weights, and what is everyone using for the slider replacements?

Since they last so long, maybe PGO/Genuine should make 'em stock! :P.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

skully93 wrote:all of this begs the question (which I'm sure I could find if I dug deep), what are our stock weights, and what is everyone using for the slider replacements?

Since they last so long, maybe PGO/Genuine should make 'em stock! :P.
IIRC, The Buddy 125 comes with 11.5g roller weights. I replaced mine with Dr Pulley 11g sliders.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Thanks, Jmazza!

I replaced my kymco weights with 20g sliders (I think the stock is either 20 or 21). Made a lot of difference to the worn out rollers. An aftermarket variator is going in soon, so I'll check them out.

if the 125/150 actually benefit from sliders, maybe next service I'll have them added in.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

skully93 wrote:Thanks, Jmazza!

I replaced my kymco weights with 20g sliders (I think the stock is either 20 or 21). Made a lot of difference to the worn out rollers. An aftermarket variator is going in soon, so I'll check them out.

if the 125/150 actually benefit from sliders, maybe next service I'll have them added in.
I can't honestly say I got any perceivable benefit. I replaced them as general maintenance but, when I did, the shop said that my stock rollers were in nearly new shape.

Still, with the glowing reviews they receive, I figured since I had to replace them anyway I might as well go with the Dr Pulley sliders.
buddyguy

Re: Variator Damage from Sliders?

Post by buddyguy »

az_slynch wrote:I was considering changing out my variator rollers for Dr. Pulley sliders. My shop warned me that sliders can cause damage to the variator and void my warranty. I'm a bit skeptical myself.

Has anyone here experienced variator damage by using Dr. Pulley sliders?
If they are Dr. Pulley they will not damage the variator. I met with the representative of the company and she showed me specifically that the material is made to wear before the variator or clutch bell (for the Hit Clutch) gets damaged.

There were some other brands that were copying Dr. Pulley's design but using a harder/harsher material that were damaging components. That's probably where your mechanic got his information. If you get genuine Dr. Pulley parts from a reputable dealer you should be dandy!
2009 Genuine Buddy St Tropez 150cc
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Dummy Lights Turned Blinkers
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Prima Stainless Steel Exhaust
81bmph 78mph Dyno confirmed.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Cheep sliders damaged my underware.
damn rallys!
hal888

Post by hal888 »

I've notice about a 15% decrease in gas mileage with switching to Dr. Pulley sliders (11 g). I'm thinking about switching back to rollers.
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

hal888 wrote:I've notice about a 15% decrease in gas mileage with switching to Dr. Pulley sliders (11 g). I'm thinking about switching back to rollers.
Hi performance parts don't really account for gas milage. In racing they say going fast cost money. The way these buddy's are tuned at the factory it would be hard (not impossible) to squeeze out more gas mileage then what they are already capable of.
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

hal888 wrote:I've notice about a 15% decrease in gas mileage with switching to Dr. Pulley sliders (11 g). I'm thinking about switching back to rollers.
I have found that the 13g. are much closer to stock. I think they are a huge improvement over rollers.
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
skully93

Post by skully93 »

buddyguy wrote:
Hi performance parts don't really account for gas milage. In racing they say going fast cost money. The way these buddy's are tuned at the factory it would be hard (not impossible) to squeeze out more gas mileage then what they are already capable of.
I added the prima pipe and gained @ 2-3mpg....

I preface that with my normal driving range is 5300-8000ft. YMMV
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

skully93 wrote:
buddyguy wrote:
I added the prima pipe and gained @ 2-3mpg....

I preface that with my normal driving range is 5300-8000ft. YMMV

The Prima pipe is not considered a hi performance pipe unless it is modified. Don't know if you noticed, but not only does it have a restrictor plate, it also has a catalytic converter in it.
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Noticed no such animal. it certainly hasn't restricted me, as it seems much peppier in the mid-range and is a little more willing to get to top speed.

I dunno about catalytic converter so much as stuff in there to make it sound different. Not going to take it apart to find out.

Overall it's such a tough little bike I'm wary of messing with it too much.
MGM

Post by MGM »

I doubt the Prima oipe has a converter. When The Black Jack first came out, the Prima pipe was described as "off road use only" and was shiped as a seperate part, not Factory installed.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Conventional wisdom when switching from rollers to Dr. Pulley Sliders is to increase the weights by 0.5-1.5g each (ie. from 11.5g rollers to 13g sliders). Using a lighter slider will provide quicker low end acceleration, but will decrease top end speed. The higher engine revs for similar speeds when using 11g sliders vs. 11.5g rollers could also account for decreased MPG.

The Dr. Pulley sliders are encased in a slick composite coating. They will not harm your variator, since the roller material coating is softer than the alloys used in most variators.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
hal888

Post by hal888 »

This seems a likely explanation, and I didn't know that I should have used a heavier slider to replace my rollers. I thought a gram was a gram was a gram, but clearly some grams count more than others. Certainly this can be confirmed when I replace my too light sliders with a heavier set. Thanks!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd be interested to hear your experience. did a lot of stuff to my 250 this weekend with the help of some friends. Smooth as butter, but the top end decreased a bit. Could also be new parts breaking in.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I have 11g Dr. Pulley sliders in the Buddy 125 and it runs smooth as butter. Everyone else has already given the run down on why they won't cause damage, but I had 2 thoughts on them behaving like they weigh slightly less.

1. They claim, on their official website and their YouTube channel, that they allow for a slightly lower gear ratio. There is a slight kick when accelerating from a stop that you adapt your throttle technique to after a few days.

2. Due to the fact that they slide and not roll, they may simply take more force to rise.

Either way, 11g is 11g, but this would explain why they have a perceivable difference in performance characteristics. Personally, my GF who rides the scooter primarily, loves them. It's added a little bit of a "lower gearing" affect that helps balance out the fact that we ride together with me on the CBR250R.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I have 11g Dr. Pulley sliders in the Buddy 125 and it runs smooth as butter. Everyone else has already given the run down on why they won't cause damage, but I had 2 thoughts on them behaving like they weigh slightly less.

1. They claim, on their official website and their YouTube channel, that they allow for a slightly lower gear ratio. There is a slight kick when accelerating from a stop that you adapt your throttle technique to after a few days.

2. Due to the fact that they slide and not roll, they may simply take more force to rise.

Either way, 11g is 11g, but this would explain why they have a perceivable difference in performance characteristics. Personally, my GF who rides the scooter primarily, loves them. It's added a little bit of a "lower gearing" affect that helps balance out the fact that we ride together with me on the CBR250R.
Purely my 2 cents (and a serious pull from the rectal databank) but my take on the difference is that the shape allows the center of mass to sit "a skosh" closer to variator's the axis of rotation. This means it takes a bit more rotational speed to get them to start moving.

Why this instead of the friction approach? All rollers still have to slide on one surface or the other to work. So (IMHO) the friction alone won't account for the difference.

What difference does it make? The Center of Mass theory says the effect only happens at the begining of accelleration and that there is a geater range of motion. The Friction theory applies throughout the range of motion. I think the only noticeable difference would be a slight (maybe unnoticeable) change in gas mileage and a slightly higher top speed (greater range of motion).
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

@Scooterboi: Either way, yeah. They have a little bit different performance characteristics, but my only concern with the "functioning like lighter weights"was any potential decrease in top speed. In that particular attribute, they seem to follow the notion that 11g is 11g is 11g. There's no lower top speed just because they're sliders of the same weight compared to rollers. I've hit the same 72bmph on both 11.5g rollers and 11g Dr. Pulley sliders.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

As far as the variator is concerned, the only thing that will affect top end speed is the position of your belt.

The truth is that the only way your top end will be affected by a slider is if the slider is not heavy enough to enable your belt to get all the way to the outermost edge of the variator. So 11g, 11.5g, 12g, 12.5g, it doesn't matter, so long as the belt is getting full travel, top end speed will be the same. I think some people put in a heavier slider and think that has made their scooter faster where in reality what it likely has done is simply increase the travel of their belt, something that could also have been accomplished with a heavier roller weight.

With slider vs roller you may feel a difference in the power ramp and how it feels while you GET to that top speed, but there is no increase in top end speed itself. Once your belt is all the way to the outermost edge of the variator, that is as fast as your scooter is going to go without additional modifications.

TL;DR — There is no top end speed benefit in rollers vs sliders.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

You must drain the grease off them before you jam the little burgers in your scooter. and dont forget to remove the pickles first.

s l i d e r s
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

MGM wrote:I doubt the Prima oipe has a converter. When The Black Jack first came out, the Prima pipe was described as "off road use only" and was shiped as a seperate part, not Factory installed.
The Prima Pipe for the Buddy doesn't have a converter, and is pretty high flowing. There is another Prima Pipe that is more restrictive and may have a Cat, I think it is the one for the LX150.

sidenote, Adam aka BlackSunshine has a Prima pipe on his BJ that doesn't look like any other BJ pipe that i've seen, and i think that he's got the LX pipe.

LX pipe:

BJ pipe:

Notice the difference in rear openings
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.