Scooter Cannonball 2012!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

Scooter Cannonball 2012!!

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Scooter Cannonball 2012

I'm in, rider #58. Savannah to San Diego. April 22-29... 8 days of insanity from sea to shining sea. My roomate is "toigo" on a 1980 Vespa P200.

I'm arriving in Savannah by Amtrak on the 21st, the mothership is hitching a ride from Richmond. I'll be flying back on the evening of the 30th, with the mothership again hitching a ride to RVA. I really wish I was able to do the entire loop, but that's a hard sell when you've got a very worry-some lady love waiting at home. That and trying to get an entire month off of work.

The hotel stops are as follows:

Troy, AL (4/22)
Hazelhurst, MS (4/23)
Lufkin, TX (4/24)
Abilene, TX (4/25)
Roswell, NM (4/26)
Show Low, AZ (4/27)
Parker, AZ (4/28)
San Diego, CA (4/29)

I'll be setting up a blog with daily ride reports, pictures, live satellite tracking, and a link to my facebook page in the next few weeks. If anyone has some recommendations for good quick eats along the route, shoot them my way. The most epic trip for me thusfar, so surely a great time to be had.

Looking forward to meeting Bill Murar, "oopsklunkthud", "that scooter guy", and the other veteran cannonball racers. Go easy on the fresh meat, I just want to finish!
Last edited by BootScootin'FireFighter on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I really envy you, riding coast to coast on my scoot is definately on my bucket list. look forward to updates on the ride. What is in your tool kit for this mind of ride?
2 > 4
That Scooter Guy

Post by That Scooter Guy »

Great to have another Buddy along!! I originally signed up to do the event on my 2012 Buddy 125. Then I found a nice '09 on Craigslist.

I'm not a veteran of the Cannonball, but I have some motorcycle and scooter endurance-riding experience. I'm not sure that's much of an advantage, however. It may even be preferable to not know how difficult the ride will be! :)

I've got a team-mate too. He is going to ride a Honda C70 (with a 140cc engine).

Looking forward to meeting you!

Claude
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I hope to watch you guys come into town. I know Bill M and hope I can see him putting into San Diego on a 50!!! You will enjoy having him on the trail with you, I took an ERC taught my him as well as riding in OH with him and others . He is excellent trainer and really good guy. He also taught first aid for riders-hopefully those skills won't be needed for anyone.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Awesome. Good luck with the ride!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm in.
ScooterRaton #42 (yes the answer to everything!)

Believe it or not I'm not sure what I'll be riding. I gave myself a year for my build but I didn't count on being sent overseas for work for 8 months.

So it is down to
67 GT with the 166 motor
67 GT with 213 motor
06 Buddy 161

Right now I'm leaning to the GT with the 213 but I'll only have about a week to dial in and put about 800 miles on it for break in.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If riding the Buddy I would suggest bringing a spare belt and variator. I'll have an impact wrench on the support truck.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
That Scooter Guy

I'll have a spare belt and a set of rollers... amongst my other spares and maintenance items.

I think the lion's share of my prep is done. I'm just trying to help my teammate get his rig ready at this point.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats! Hoping to be there to greet you in SD at the end!

Thanks to the forums, Amerivespas, rallies and the LA Scooter Group, I know a lot of people doing the run this year. The biggest CBR ever!

As usual, I'll be following all the blogs, FBs, Twitter feeds, etc. Armchair Cannonballer yet again! :?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
That Scooter Guy

Eric.... just do it man. You can camp out in my motel rooms for free.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:Congrats! Hoping to be there to greet you in SD at the end!

Thanks to the forums, Amerivespas, rallies and the LA Scooter Group, I know a lot of people doing the run this year. The biggest CBR ever!

As usual, I'll be following all the blogs, FBs, Twitter feeds, etc. Armchair Cannonballer yet again! :?

2014 isn't that far away! Start planning now!
www.teamscootertrash.com

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That Scooter Guy wrote:Eric.... just do it man. You can camp out in my motel rooms for free.
You wouldn't believe how badly I snore! I wouldn't subject you to that. Thanks, though!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
That Scooter Guy

No way you snore worse than I do! :P

Oh well, I look forward to seeing you in San Diego.
BootScootin'FireFighter

BuddyRaton wrote:If riding the Buddy I would suggest bringing a spare belt and variator. I'll have an impact wrench on the support truck.
copy that. I'm going to swap out for a new belt, sliders, spark plug, plug cables, air filter and fresh fluids within 3 weeks of the start, and bring the older ones for spares. The Variator is something I hadn't considered though. I also thought about a spare tire. So much planning, but well worth it all.
That Scooter Guy

I vote yes on the tire!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I'm so super jealous, if only it weren't right in the middle of my graduation semester :(

As far as the tire, yes I would have one spare on your scooter at all time.
I would plan for more than just that though, even assuming you pack heidenau you will still need to replace at least one rear tire just from the mileage.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Sounds like a great time. I was just looking at the last two years of results. Only 1 Genuine scooter entered in 2008... and didn't finish the last day. There were none in 2010. I think you need to call in some factory support to make this a win-win for you and the Genuine brand. :wink:
That Scooter Guy

I got some support from my local dealership (Maplewood Scooters in St Louis).

This year I think Genuine will be well represented. There are also a number of Stellas in the event.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Some MV members are planning on meeting at one of the check points.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic93913

If someone here does I only have one request....grab my camera from my gloved hands and shoot my checkpoint photo as I note the time. You could help me save 45 seconds and with an 83% handicap thats almost a minute!!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Syd

Post by Syd »

Lotrat wrote:Sounds like a great time. I was just looking at the last two years of results. Only 1 Genuine scooter entered in 2008... and didn't finish the last day. There were none in 2010. I think you need to call in some factory support to make this a win-win for you and the Genuine brand. :wink:
Pretty sure that would have been MB member RobTaylor. I think the only modification he made was to add a larger tank, connected directly to the stock tank, which allowed him to run longer distances without stopping. Ingenious.

If memory serves, the accepted explanation for his DNF (and he was sooo close!) was that 3000 miles of WOT without enough regular downtime caused a bent crank due to overheating.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Sure wish I could be doing the run! Maybe next year. I'll be rooting for all of you! Really hope to be able to ride the last few miles with you and be a part of the welcoming committee in SD. Ride fast and safe everyone!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
paige

Post by paige »

Syd wrote:
Lotrat wrote:Sounds like a great time. I was just looking at the last two years of results. Only 1 Genuine scooter entered in 2008... and didn't finish the last day. There were none in 2010. I think you need to call in some factory support to make this a win-win for you and the Genuine brand. :wink:
Pretty sure that would have been MB member RobTaylor. I think the only modification he made was to add a larger tank, connected directly to the stock tank, which allowed him to run longer distances without stopping. Ingenious.

If memory serves, the accepted explanation for his DNF (and he was sooo close!) was that 3000 miles of WOT without enough regular downtime caused a bent crank due to overheating.

He was so close! It was heartbreaking to watch him limp along on the next to last day.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

paige wrote:
Syd wrote:

He was so close! It was heartbreaking to watch him limp along on the next to last day.
IIRC, he also had a performance variator or at the very least had put in heavy rollers.

The Buddy needs to cool—even for a few minutes—every 100 miles or so, or, roughly, when you need to stop for gas. Bent cranks are not common on Buddys!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, and with a piggyback fuel tank like some guys rig, it might be easy to forget that the Buddy needs a break.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
That Scooter Guy

I had also heard that he was running dino-oil instead of the synthetic stuff.

I'm getting so pumped about this thing that I can hardly stand it!
Syd

Post by Syd »

That Scooter Guy wrote:I had also heard that he was running dino-oil instead of the synthetic stuff.

I'm getting so pumped about this thing that I can hardly stand it!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 125 doesnt' have an oil cooler, does it? That alone might have made the difference.

BootSscootin', I hope you are able to keep up with status updates. In the past, riders' blogs and updates have been like new parents: Lots of pics and text the first kid (day), a handful the second, but by the third your lucky if you remember the kid's name.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Syd wrote:BootSscootin', I hope you are able to keep up with status updates. In the past, riders' blogs and updates have been like new parents: Lots of pics and text the first kid (day), a handful the second, but by the third your lucky if you remember the kid's name.
Thanks Syd, I will try to maximize my downtime with the group, and less on a computer. Once I get the blog up and running, I'll probably be just updating there in the evenings and doing "checkins" on Facebook. If I don't get the GoPro camera to borrow, then I'll try to use my iPhone to do the video time lapse. that will involve uploading over 1000 still photos each evening. I want to snap a photo every 30 seconds and put all the still on a video roll set to music. I'll also have a live Gps location on the blog.

I got a lot of work leading up to it, including a day long 350 mile "training run" out to the Delaware shore and back to test my gadgets and minimizing rest stops.
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

I can only imagine the prep something like this takes. Good luck and happy riding!!! :D
BootScootin'FireFighter

ScooterCannonball Movie... coming soon!!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36943455? ... portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
That Scooter Guy

LIKE LIKE LIKE

TVB

Post by TVB »

That Scooter Guy wrote:Image
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Pretty friggin' awesome. :+!:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

HEY, CANNONBALL RUNNERS would love to hear from you about how your preparations are going! Make sure we have up to date links to your blogs, websites, etc. and GOOD LUCK with your packing!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

More to come soon!
Attachments
TST CBR Sticker.jpg
TST CBR Sticker.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
www.teamscootertrash.com

Syd

Post by Syd »

I just read the day 7 thread at the Cannonball site. FR300, aka the Rim Road, is one of the most scenic roads in the state of Arizona (especially the east end of it, where it hugs the Mogollon Rim). And if it's wet - scary :twisted:

There is a Ranger station right at the point where pavement and dirt diverge on the east end of FR300. If you don't know the shape of the road before this point, make damn sure you stop there and ask. If the road is dry and recently graded, you could take it in a Camaro. If it's wet, or if it hasn't been graded in a while, well, not if you like your Camaro.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I'll see you all at the end!!!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Just now getting to actually reading this thread. Awesome stuff guys!! I'm pulling for everyone to make it across the finish line alive and under their own power (notice I never mentioned in one piece..)

Makes me jealous that I'm flat, flat broke and there is NO way I can leave my family or my job long enough to even think about attempting this :cry: In a perfect world where there were two incomes in my house and I actually got full time year round work, I would totally give CBR a shot! But, right now, it's just a dream I'll have to vicariously live through you guys.

Please keep us posted!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Team Scooter Trash is now online!

www.TeamScooterTrash.com

In Mod We Trust!
www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

TST Is running to benefit Surfers for Autism. See this post for details!
topic21410.html
www.teamscootertrash.com