Paid Parking -- where to keep stub?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teabow1

Paid Parking -- where to keep stub?

Post by teabow1 »

Some public lots and garages require that the driver pay first for their parking spot and then place the ticket under the windscreen on top of the dashboard. Now this works for a car but what do you do when it's a scooter/motorcycle? I'm not riding a 50cc scooter, but rather a scooter that has licence plates and for all intents and purposes of North Carolina law, my scooter is a motorcycle because it's above 50cc.

Help?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I often carry masking tape in my scooter and if the tag needs to be displayed, will tape it to the windshield or my headlight. Some scooters (Stella) have straps across the seat which work well for this.

Binder clip also works well with a windshield.

Or, if there's an attendant, just ask if you need to display it. I've been told, "Don't worry about it" at some lots. I'll also look to see what other 2-wheelers have done. Often, most don't have the tickets displayed.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

ericalm wrote:I often carry masking tape in my scooter and if the tag needs to be displayed, will tape it to the windshield or my headlight. Some scooters (Stella) have straps across the seat which work well for this.

Binder clip also works well with a windshield.

Or, if there's an attendant, just ask if you need to display it. I've been told, "Don't worry about it" at some lots. I'll also look to see what other 2-wheelers have done. Often, most don't have the tickets displayed.
Ah, I see. I thought security would be an issue. I mean, stolen stubs? Maybe I just think too "evily" :)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Here in Portland, the city transportation office offers free permit holders for motorcycles and scooters: (http://www.portlandonline.com/transport ... 9&a=334833). I have one of those. Maybe check with your city's transportation department to find out if they offer a similar program. If they don't, then these must be available for purchase from somewhere. Also, complain if they don't, since it leaves you vulnerable to having your permit stolen and getting a ticket. I think that's how we wound up with the program here - people complained.
TVB

Post by TVB »

When the rangers at state parks forget that I just rode in on a scooter, and tell me to stick the camping permit to the passenger side of the windshield, I point out that I don't have either, and they say "Oh. Right. Just keep it with you then." :)
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Grab a small roll of painter's tape at a hardware shop. Painter's tape is surprisingly strong, weather resistant (as long as the surface you are sticking it to is dry) and will not leave ANY harmful residue on your scoot- when I worked at the local car wash this is what we used to tape down wipers, and antennas we couldn't unscrew.

It could also come in handy if you ever need to jury rig something on your scoot :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

LunaP wrote:It could also come in handy if you ever need to jury rig something on your scoot :lol:
Or paint the walls in your house a different color. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pdxrita wrote:Here in Portland, the city transportation office offers free permit holders for motorcycles and scooters: (http://www.portlandonline.com/transport ... 9&a=334833). I have one of those. Maybe check with your city's transportation department to find out if they offer a similar program. If they don't, then these must be available for purchase from somewhere. Also, complain if they don't, since it leaves you vulnerable to having your permit stolen and getting a ticket. I think that's how we wound up with the program here - people complained.
Want!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
paige

Post by paige »

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

teabow1 wrote:Ah, I see. I thought security would be an issue. I mean, stolen stubs? Maybe I just think too "evily" :)
We have alot of places that require the stub to be displayed. One thing I always do is use my cell phone camera to take a photo of my scooter with the stub and then a closeup of the stub showing time date etc. just in case I need to fight aticket

When I get back and everything is OK I just delete the photos.

The good news is that I do this A LOT and I have never had anyone swipe my stub.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Great idea! I'll have to remember that if I'm ever in that situation. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks! Hope Portland is getting a massive bulk discount. They could go broke handing these out.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

pdxrita wrote:Here in Portland, the city transportation office offers free permit holders for motorcycles and scooters: (http://www.portlandonline.com/transport ... 9&a=334833). I have one of those. Maybe check with your city's transportation department to find out if they offer a similar program. If they don't, then these must be available for purchase from somewhere. Also, complain if they don't, since it leaves you vulnerable to having your permit stolen and getting a ticket. I think that's how we wound up with the program here - people complained.
That's pretty neat! I'll see if my city has such a programme. Portland has been known for being ahead of the curve... : - )