2011/12 International Motorcycle show

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

2011/12 International Motorcycle show

Post by babblefish »

Just a reminder in case anyone is interested...:)

2011-2012 Progressive International Motorcycle Shows Dates:
•November 18-20, 2011 - San Mateo County Event Center San Mateo, CA
•December 2-4, 2011 - Dallas Convention Center Dallas, TX
•December 9-11, 2011 - Long Beach Convention Center Long Beach, CA
•December 16-18, 2011 - Washington State Convention Center Seattle, WA
•January 6-8, 2012 - Suburban Collection Showplace Novi, MI
•January 13-15, 2012 - Washington Convention Center Washington D.C.
•January 20-22, 2012 - Jacob K. Javits Convention Center New York, NY
•January 27-29, 2012 - I-X Center Cleveland, OH
•February 3-5, 2012 - Minneapolis Convention Center Minneapolis, MN
•February 10-12, 2012 - Donald E. Stephens Convention Center Chicago, IL
•February 24-26, 2012 - Charlotte Convention Center Charlotte, NC
•March 14-17, 2012 - Ocean Center Daytona Beach, FL

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Once again, Phoenix gets left out. :cry:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Have they ever had a motorcycle show in Phoenix? In Arizona? How about car shows? The International Car Show starts in a few days here at the Moscone Convention Center, too. Sounds like someone is due for a road trip...:)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I usually go but am thinking about skipping this year. Just bought a new helmet, so I don't need to do my annual "let's go see if I can fit in one of THESE" trip and I'm pretty good for gear. It's a long, boring all-traffic and city ride to Long Beach from LA and it traditionally rains that weekend.

BUT for those who have not been before it could be a pretty fun trip. There are almost always discount codes floating around for advanced tickets, and dealers often have coupons. I'll post any codes I find.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The shows around here are "selling shows" so there are multiple vendors selling goods like helmets, jackets, gloves, etc. at pretty good show discounts. Well worth the price of admission if one is looking to buy something too.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

$13 ticket isn't bad at all. Free parking if you're on a motorcycle (wonder if they count scooters?). But do they have "Fabulous Moto-Babe Models" like International Car Shows? :lol:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

pugbuddy wrote:$13 ticket isn't bad at all. Free parking if you're on a motorcycle (wonder if they count scooters?). But do they have "Fabulous Moto-Babe Models" like International Car Shows? :lol:
Yes and No. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:$13 ticket isn't bad at all. Free parking if you're on a motorcycle (wonder if they count scooters?). But do they have "Fabulous Moto-Babe Models" like International Car Shows? :lol:
Yes and No. :)
Mostly no.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

...I'm going to the NYC show. It will probably be a mad house, but I've never been to/in the Javitt Center, and I am told that that is reason enough to go lol.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
flexx75

Post by flexx75 »

Stupid question but I will ask anyway. Are there scooters at the MC shows ?
Witch

Post by Witch »

None in my entire time zone. :( Bummer.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

flexx75 wrote:Stupid question but I will ask anyway. Are there scooters at the MC shows ?
Yup. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki will definitely be there. BMW may have their new scooters on display. Aprilia will be there on the "Dream Pavilion" (whatever that is), but I'm not sure if they'll have scooters or if the other Piaggio brands are exhibiting. Other scooter companies kind of come and go, but there have been fewer present over the past few years. Five years ago, they were almost all there—Genuine, Kymco, SYM, Vectrix, etc.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/manufact ... ufacturers
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

flexx75 wrote:Stupid question but I will ask anyway. Are there scooters at the MC shows ?
What Eric said applies to the show in my area, too. Genuine hasn't shown up in the last two or three years. A couple of the companies, Yamaha and Kymco if I remember correctly, even offered test rides out in the parking lot (it's a big parking lot).
Kinda excited to see the new BMW scooter. Hope it shows-up.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:
What Eric said applies to the show in my area, too. Genuine hasn't shown up in the last two or three years. A couple of the companies, Yamaha and Kymco if I remember correctly, even offered test rides out in the parking lot (it's a big parking lot).
Kinda excited to see the new BMW scooter. Hope it shows-up.
They had the concept version in LA last year so I'd be surprised if there weren't a couple on display!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

went once, wasn't impressed. Don't remember seeing anything scooter related. I tried on a few helmets and that was about it. Caters more to the crotch rocket and window shopper crowd.
rikkn

Post by rikkn »

We have had booths at a couple of them, very expensive, but freat exposure, it was worth it for us. ( BELLISSIMOTO.com )
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

rikkn wrote:We have had booths at a couple of them, very expensive, but freat exposure, it was worth it for us. ( BELLISSIMOTO.com )
One would think that given the current state of the economy the organizers of the show would reduce the booth fees and show entry price to help attract more manufacturers/vendors and attendees. Guess that would make far too much sense...:(
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

babblefish wrote:Have they ever had a motorcycle show in Phoenix? In Arizona? How about car shows? The International Car Show starts in a few days here at the Moscone Convention Center, too. Sounds like someone is due for a road trip...:)
You make it sound like Phoenix is some small hick town! Considering how much aftermarket auto industry is in Phoenix, I can't see who North Carolina would get a tour date but they'd leave out the 5th largest city in the US, and a state that is big on promoting year-round riding.

Auto shows constantly go through Phoenix (as do many racing championships. NHRA just had a championship event last month at PIR). It's just *very* odd they'd skip Phoenix
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I love going and seeing the industry, as it were, or at least those with marketing budgets that can support a five month tour. Last year they added some training sessions and some additional entertainment areas with classic biker movies. Of course, the one near Detroit (Novi), rolls out the bars at the stroke of noon, so that's an attraction for some folks. The motorcycle stunt show brings people running, but unless to are on the fence line, you mostly have a view of the back of peoples heads. Still, in the dark depths and bitter cold of winter, it's better than nothing!

I like to go and try to see every scooter (sort of a "find that scooter" game) and that makes it a bit more interesting. I also have a few equipment booths that I always visit to check out their take of this so-called economic recovery. Last year they were largely positive about the recovery and chances for good business over the year, this year? Well, I'll find out.

http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... i-michigan

http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... cycle-show

See you at the show, Detroit peeps.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I would totally go if Kymco and/or SYM were going to be there. Unfortunately I'm just not that into actual motorcycles...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

neotrotsky wrote:
babblefish wrote:Have they ever had a motorcycle show in Phoenix? In Arizona? How about car shows? The International Car Show starts in a few days here at the Moscone Convention Center, too. Sounds like someone is due for a road trip...:)
You make it sound like Phoenix is some small hick town! Considering how much aftermarket auto industry is in Phoenix, I can't see who North Carolina would get a tour date but they'd leave out the 5th largest city in the US, and a state that is big on promoting year-round riding.

Auto shows constantly go through Phoenix (as do many racing championships. NHRA just had a championship event last month at PIR). It's just *very* odd they'd skip Phoenix
Settle down there cowboy, I was just asking a question. :roll:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ravenlore wrote:I would totally go if Kymco and/or SYM were going to be there. Unfortunately I'm just not that into actual motorcycles...
Don't know about MN, but Kymco usually shows up at the shows here. Can't seem to remember if SYM is there though...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Went to the show this weekend. Slim pickings, manufacturer wise, but still worthwhile for me. I posted pictures in the Gallery section for those interested.

BTW: BMW did not have neither of their new scooters there. :(
paige

Post by paige »

Babblefish, Was the Abarth 500 Fiat there? I know the regular 500 is, but my husband really wants to see the Abarth.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

paige wrote:Babblefish, Was the Abarth 500 Fiat there? I know the regular 500 is, but my husband really wants to see the Abarth.
I think the Abarth is exclusive to the LA Auto Show. Come on down!

I wish I could get over and see it but no time! Guess I'll have to wait for spring. I want to drive that thing!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

paige wrote:Babblefish, Was the Abarth 500 Fiat there? I know the regular 500 is, but my husband really wants to see the Abarth.
Umm...this was a motorcycle show, so no, the Abarth 500 wasn't there. Not even Fiat. :) I wish it were tho' - love that car!
paige

Post by paige »

Whoa, sorry, mind fart. The motorcycle show here is over so my mind just went in to car show mode (we are going this weekend in SF.)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

paige wrote:Whoa, sorry, mind fart. The motorcycle show here is over so my mind just went in to car show mode (we are going this weekend in SF.)
No prob., I have mind farts all the time, hourly actually. Wonder if they make "Beano" for brains? :D

Yeah, I'm thinking of going to the car show tomorrow. Coincidentally, mainly to go see the Fiat 500!:) Not to spoil it for you, but there won't be an Abarth 500 there. Fiat isn't going to import them into the U.S. from what I've been told. Also, Mercedes and Ferrari won't be there either. Hmm, seems to be a bad trend going on here...:(