Just performed my first

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcsguy88

Just performed my first

Post by pcsguy88 »

Oil change. Does this officially make me a scooterist? :roll:

That was so simple I can't believe people pay so much to do it.

I've put 400 miles on my used 2009 SYM Fiddle II (2300 total milege) over the past 4 weeks and between the dose of Seafoam and this oil change, it's a completely different beast. Oh so smooth and quiet now. The scoot had sat for 2 or 3yrs before I got it and they took it to the shop before selling it to get it up and running. I spoke with the shop and today found the shiny new air filter in it, so I know that story was not fiction. All metal in the filter was stuck to the magnet, so no aluminum running thru the system. Shop had put too much oil in it, so it was dripping out of the air filter box (none in the actual filter), so that final issue has been solved. Extremely happy with my $900 first scooter. :D
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Aluminum doesn't stick to magnets.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Congratulations on becoming an official scooterist. ☺
Yes, doing your own basic maintanence can save you a bunch of money. And as Stitch said, aluminum is not magnetic, only ferrous metals stick to magnets.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dooglas

Re: Just performed my first

Post by Dooglas »

pcsguy88 wrote:All metal in the filter was stuck to the magnet, so no aluminum running thru the system.
Aluminum doesn't stick to magnets :wink: . Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride and successfully learning how to do your own servicing.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Yes, aluminum is not magnetic. All metal found in the filter (and in the drained oil) had attached itself to the magnet, hence it is not aluminum and is a sign of a healthy broken in engine from everything I have read on several forums. Made me all the more confident in my purchase.