Tired of idiots not understanding anything about our scoots.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

metty

Tired of idiots not understanding anything about our scoots.

Post by metty »

Just watched a news clip on Kansas City news this morning talking about scooter sales are up 38 percent because of gas prices. They showed many brands including Buddys. They did mention how good of gas mileage scoots get. But then go into how they only go 45 mph, and have small gas tanks so you can't go on long trips. Would'nt you think the news people being at the stores to film the scooters would get the real story from the shop owners? I get so tired of misinformation about our beloved scoots. It's so unfair how many people just consider them almost like toys that you would drive around the block in a neighborhood only. UUURRRRGGGG :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

On the flip side its fun passing people at 60+ 8)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

In recent years, the media have not attracted the best and brightest to their ranks. Reporters tend to be poorly educated, incurious and not particularly industrious. The better looking ones get to be news anchors, but they're still not the world's brightest bears. These are not the kind of people that "get" scooters. If you want affirmation and appreciation, you'll have to go to your SO or your scootin' buddies!
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

metty wrote:Just watched a news clip on Kansas City news this morning talking about scooter sales are up 38 percent because of gas prices. They showed many brands including Buddys. They did mention how good of gas mileage scoots get. But then go into how they only go 45 mph, and have small gas tanks so you can't go on long trips. Would'nt you think the news people being at the stores to film the scooters would get the real story from the shop owners? I get so tired of misinformation about our beloved scoots. It's so unfair how many people just consider them almost like toys that you would drive around the block in a neighborhood only. UUURRRRGGGG :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
Maybe just stop caring what they think? It's less frustrating, and then you can just focus on enjoying your ride.
PeterC wrote:In recent years, the media have not attracted the best and brightest to their ranks. Reporters tend to be poorly educated, incurious and not particularly industrious. The better looking ones get to be news anchors, but they're still not the world's brightest bears. These are not the kind of people that "get" scooters. If you want affirmation and appreciation, you'll have to go to your SO or your scootin' buddies!
Even in the best of times, it's usually only about 5% of any segment that are true wizards. But it is true, journalism has declined much lately.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

On the surface, all of those things they said are true in a subjective sense with the exception of the top speed, depending on the motor size.

We don't need to evangelize two-wheeled transport. The people who are interested will come to it in their own way, and the ones who aren't probably never will be. That's fine too.

More important is to enjoy your ride. I don't want to go all metaphysical on you, but that kind of positive energy is infectious. People see someone having a good time, and they want to know, generally, why and how. That's where understanding is born; natural curiosity. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Hwarang wrote:Even in the best of times, it's usually only about 5% of any segment that are true wizards. But it is true, journalism has declined much lately.
TV/radio news was originally done as a public service, something expected of a broadcaster in exchange for the use of the airwaves, and a way to show their commitment to the nation/community. Since it was done for prestige rather than profit, the folks in charge went after the best journalists, that 5%. For reasons that are off-topic for this forum, broadcast news is now produced as a form of entertainment. You all can see the results of that.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Well you could send them an informative text educating them... R
metty

Post by metty »

Goods points all! I would almost consider contacting them to inform them of the real truth. But that would not prompt a new segment or anything like that. So whats the use. It's just sad for the people out there on the fence about a scooter hearing that kind of false info. Sure does not help the scooter dealers. You would think a person in the news with any common since would understand that just like motorcycles there are bigger scooters that can go on long trips. Do they not see any on the roads or highways hauling butt?
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

One thing to consider...

My ex-girlfriend is a journalist, and I was griping at her one day about the fact that the media generally gets 80% of aviation-related stories wrong, or spins unimportant facts as major issues, etc.

She pointed out that the information they report is as good as the information they get. So, if a journalist is getting something wrong or incomplete and it bothers you, you're obligated to right the ship, so to speak. Reporters and editors are VERY receptive to correction and depth; they just don't always know when the nuances are changing the overall picture, you know?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

killbilly wrote:One thing to consider...

My ex-girlfriend is a journalist, and I was griping at her one day about the fact that the media generally gets 80% of aviation-related stories wrong, or spins unimportant facts as major issues, etc.

She pointed out that the information they report is as good as the information they get. So, if a journalist is getting something wrong or incomplete and it bothers you, you're obligated to right the ship, so to speak. Reporters and editors are VERY receptive to correction and depth; they just don't always know when the nuances are changing the overall picture, you know?
+1 I've worked at several publications (in editorial) and my wife and most of my friends are journalists. None of them are lazy. There are a lot of reasons for the decline in the quality of journalism that we get these days. Education is partially responsible—many university journalism schools have been wrapped into communication/PR departments. But the flavor of the news and the industry has changed. The journalistic drive, instincts and values that were once the cornerstone of the profession have given way to the need to get things done quicker, with fewer people, and to do whatever it takes to attract readers and advertising dollars.

Broadcast journalism is another apple altogether, but the fact is that few people at local news affiliates really qualify as "journalists" at all, most these days are "on screen talent" who graduated from a radio/tv or communications program where journalism practices weren't the top priority. The quality and depth of coverage from affiliates has plummeted much faster than in any other type of news media. I can't even bear to watch it.

Case in point: How many of these (many) local news stories about the 2011 scooter boom mention that sales are up when compared to two of the worst years for scooter sales in the past couple of decades? And that gas prices have declined, which (in recent years) has meant that sales stagnate as well?

These aren't business stories, they're "shaggy dog" stories, or at the very least recycled evergreens. Almost every one, from every news affiliate across the country, is exactly the same. And they're all almost exactly the same as the stories they did in 2008 when sales boomed.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:

+1 I've worked at several publications (in editorial) and my wife and most of my friends are journalists. None of them are lazy. There are a lot of reasons for the decline in the quality of journalism that we get these days. Education is partially responsible—many university journalism schools have been wrapped into communication/PR departments. But the flavor of the news and the industry has changed. The journalistic drive, instincts and values that were once the cornerstone of the profession have given way to the need to get things done quicker, with fewer people, and to do whatever it takes to attract readers and advertising dollars.

Broadcast journalism is another apple altogether, but the fact is that few people at local news affiliates really qualify as "journalists" at all, most these days are "on screen talent" who graduated from a radio/tv or communications program where journalism practices weren't the top priority. The quality and depth of coverage from affiliates has plummeted much faster than in any other type of news media. I can't even bear to watch it.

Case in point: How many of these (many) local news stories about the 2011 scooter boom mention that sales are up when compared to two of the worst years for scooter sales in the past couple of decades? And that gas prices have declined, which (in recent years) has meant that sales stagnate as well?

These aren't business stories, they're "shaggy dog" stories, or at the very least recycled evergreens. Almost every one, from every news affiliate across the country, is exactly the same. And they're all almost exactly the same as the stories they did in 2008 when sales boomed.
Not to mention that the local affiliates are pieces of large, publicly traded, media companies. All of which are under great strain to lower costs (almost at any cost). My current gripe is on-scene reports done from across town that appear to be filmed with a cellphone camera or web cam and sent over Skype. Oh, and begging for content from the viewing public. That really gets my goat.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Hwarang wrote:Maybe just stop caring what they think? It's less frustrating, and then you can just focus on enjoying your ride.

I totally agree!

Every morning I check the weather forecast to see if we are going to get heavy rain before jumping on my scooter for the commute to work. I don't mind getting wet on the way home but arriving at the office soaked just isn't fun.

Now one of the funniest things I have seen on the local news was a report at about 5:30 am about "High wind gusts causing tree damage and local flooding." There was the young cute female reporter standing in the dark in front of a local auto repair place that I go to. The camera caught the "tree damage and local flooding" ... one palm frond laying on the sidewalk and a little puddle of water next to the curb.

I told Bocette that I almost felt bad for the crew...driving around at 4:00 am going.."we gotta find something!" I figured they ran out of time and this little "disaster area" was the best they could find!

Oh yeah...I rode to work that day...rode home...nothing happened! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Scotter

Post by Scotter »

PeterC wrote:In recent years, the media have not attracted the best and brightest to their ranks. Reporters tend to be poorly educated, incurious and not particularly industrious. The better looking ones get to be news anchors, but they're still not the world's brightest bears.
And yet that doesn't stop some of 'em from getting elected to a State Governorship or from being nominated as a Vice Presidential Candidate.
ericalm wrote:

One of my favorite scenes in Almost Famous is when the lead singer of Stillwater, played by Jason Lee, is telling the guitarist, played by Billy Crudup, that the young William Miller, played by Patrick Fugit, has written a piece making them look bad. The Crudup character says something like, "I didn't see that coming as I really liked him as a person" to which Jason Lee explodes, "He was never a person, he was a journalist!"

And, yeah, some of my favorite authors got their start in Journalism.
VCOA #3068
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Alot of misconceptions are still just generally in the public view. Many TV "Journalists" (as mentioned, who aren't really journalists) just tell people what they want to hear in order to keep their attention locked to their program to rake in the ad dollars.

I still get the same old comments when someone at work asks what kind of bike I'm getting when the semester starts"

-Do the run on gas?
-They only go 30mph! Why do you want that?
-I should get one for my 9 year old... it's not like it's a real motorcycle so she can drive it to school right?
-Aren't you worried that you will die instantly when an 18 wheeler hits you? (as if you'd fare any better in a Honda Civic vs an 18 wheeler...)
-How can you get laid on something like that?!?! (Met two of my ex's while either at a motorcycle/scooter rally or while riding my Stella or Vespa. My current wife WANTS to see me on a vintage scooter again!)
-Don't only gay people drive them? Are you gay? (with a serious face) I never knew! :roll:
-So, they balance themselves, right?
-That's a Moped. (when referring to a bike like my old GTS250ie, which is about as long as most standard motorcycles and has NO PEDALS!)

I could go on....
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

neotrotsky wrote:-How can you get laid on something like that?!?!
Why would you want to get laid on something like that? You'd have to be a freakin' contortionist. Get a room, fachrisake!
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

PeterC wrote:
Why would you want to get laid on something like that? You'd have to be a freakin' contortionist. Get a room, fachrisake!
You're doing it wrong then, Peter. You just have to be creative. :twisted:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

killbilly wrote:
PeterC wrote:
I spent my working life being creative. Now, I can afford to be comfortable.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

PeterC wrote:
Piece of cake. I just hook up the mosquito fogger to the back of the Helix, fill it with a 50/50 mixture of pheromones and Hai Karate, then go trolling. Sorta like "Deadliest Catch", but without the crabs (hopefully).
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Next time you see a story on the local news that sounds interesting to you, and it's on a topic you know nothing about, remember this: It's probably at least 50% wrong, and they're going to tell it to you again in a few months, and it will still be at least 50% wrong.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I just tune in for the commercials!

You folks are getting your knickers in a bunch of a bunch of nothing. I'm with Hwarang and BuddyRaton. Except I'm a wus when it comes to heat. I drive when it's over my body temperature and humidity. I'll ride in 25 degrees before I'll ride in 105 degrees. Thankfully the weathermen can just barely distinguish between those two marks. Most of the time.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

charlie55 wrote:
PeterC wrote:
Piece of cake. I just hook up the mosquito fogger to the back of the Helix, fill it with a 50/50 mixture of pheromones and Hai Karate, then go trolling. Sorta like "Deadliest Catch", but without the crabs (hopefully).
That made me laugh! Thanks! I needed that this week.
Have I mentioned that you guys are pretty awesome? :clap:
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

powerslave65

Post by powerslave65 »

Don't forget that not alot of Scooter dealers pay for TV ads...
auto dealers do. If anyone knows the game is rigged it's scooter
riders. 8)
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I solved the problems that I had with TV news: I just don't turn it on anymore. Problem solved! Besides, who has time for "news" with the magical experience of auto-record of all my favorite programs just a button click away?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

charlie55 wrote:Sorta like "Deadliest Catch", but without the crabs (hopefully).
I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Rippinyarn wrote:I solved the problems that I had with TV news: I just don't turn it on anymore. Problem solved! Besides, who has time for "news" with the magical experience of auto-record of all my favorite programs just a button click away?
Yeup I don't own a TV... R
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Blackshirt wrote:
charlie55 wrote:Sorta like "Deadliest Catch", but without the crabs (hopefully).
I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.
Unless you have the crabs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

killbilly wrote:
PeterC wrote:
Without going into TMI land, the scoot and moto have both been successful in the "gettin' me some" department. The scoot actually, more successful.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
whelmsworth

Post by whelmsworth »

Without going into TMI land, the scoot and moto have both been successful in the "gettin' me some" department. The scoot actually, more successful.

Agreed! My (2) wheeled compadres have helped me more then once to land a Betty. Throw in a dog and a surfboard and I don't even have to speak! Just kinda sit there looking all James Dean like with a black cup of warm goodness at the local dirt waterhole..

On the media note -
Our current media situation has been created by us, we, the population that craves things NOW, immediately... Most (not trying to insult anyone but using a huge sweeping generality) of us can't wait to hear who died, who slept with who, what scandal is ruined some poor persons life. My (2) pennies worth!!!

I do own a TV but don't have cable. So the TV is pretty much a decoration.
Cardinal Willis Helmsly III
Dominus ominum, homo erectus, duckbill Platypus,
Amen....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hwarang wrote:Without going into TMI land
Looks like we're already there. :)
whelmsworth

Post by whelmsworth »

ericalm wrote:
Hwarang wrote:Without going into TMI land
Looks like we're already there. :)

But that's the fun of this kinda stuff.

Start out talking about politics and end up talking about the bad haircut you got last month and how that somehow ties back into socialized healthcare. It's like the old timers 9am coffee clutch at the local bowling alley. The technology age version of the barbershop debates. :D
Cardinal Willis Helmsly III
Dominus ominum, homo erectus, duckbill Platypus,
Amen....
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I've said it before, and it's worth repeating....

you can't fix stupid. (the media and popular culture being stupid)