Stella Leaking oil

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

deck99

Stella Leaking oil

Post by deck99 »

My stella now has about 500 miles on it. recently I have been noticing a few drops of oil on the ground under the scoot. I was kind of thinking it was dripping out of the muffler.

Anyway last night I went out there and there was a little pool of oil under the scoot...maybe 2"x1". I took off the motor cover and it's pretty oily. I looks like it is coming from the carb and running down.

Any ideas? I always shut off the fuel tap when ever it's not running. Could the injector hose be leaking? Is this normal for a stella to drip a little on occasion?

deck
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

It's normal. And "pretty oily" is just the beginning ;)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

could be the injector hose, either on the tank side or the injector side. The fuel tap only turns off the gas, the oil is metered by the little gizmo next to the carb (attached to the throttle line)> I've never had an injected Vespa, but I think it just drops into the manifold from there, it doesnt' mix with the gas in the carb.

So I'd check the oil line connection in the airbox (it's easy to take the airbox cover off and see the carb, see if it's pooling in there). And make sure the carb and oil injector aren't loose, check around the base of the airbox for oil.

If it's dripping from the tank, that's harder to check, you'd have to pull the whole tank out.

Sounds like it's 2T oil and not gearbox oil, but if your're losing a lot, be sure the gearbox oil level isn't low before you ride, that's not being replenished when you add 2T oil!

And DEFINITELY be sure it's not dripping on the wheels or brakes or tires, that is obviously really dangerous!
Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Could be alot of things. Have you had your first service yet? Usually at first service they retorque all the bolts. I have learned...the hard way...to do this on any used scooter. I have found case and head bolts that needed to be tightened.

And no...they don't all leak or drip oil. When they do something ain't quite right.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
deck99

Post by deck99 »

I think the hose is loose but I am taking it in for a service appointment since it's under warranty.

deck99