Should I sell my wife's Pink Stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dflo

Should I sell my wife's Pink Stella?

Post by dflo »

Hi,

I'm new on here (I've come here to read many times; even learned how to change the oil on my Buddy on here, but this is my first post), and think this is the most knowledgable collection of scooter enthusiasts I've found out there...

My wife has a 2005 Pink Stella, which she loves (so do I, honestly. It's a mean little machine!). Sadly, she has a muscle disease that makes it painful to ride it, and she's been on my Buddy 125 more and more lately (I've gotten addicted to my vintage Honda CB450, so I'm okay with it), so we're thinking about selling it. It's in great shape -- in fact, the first owner was the mother of one of the mechanics at our local scooter shop here, so it was maintained well before we bought it, and we've kept it up since. It's got around 3,500 miles on it.

My question is, what's a good starting point for the price? I was thinking $2,800? I keep hearing it's a collector's item, so I don't want to go too low, but then, if we are comitted to selling it, I don't want it to rust up and dry out waiting for someone to buy it. The price points seem to be all over the map on these things... and I'm in Denver, in case that makes a difference.

What say you, wise scooting community?
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

You can get a new Stella with a warranty for 2900 albeit not in pink, 5 years old no matter the condition it shouldn't be much higher than 2k
dflo

Thanks...

Post by dflo »

...Bluezurich for the reply... heard from our local dealer too, who said basically the same thing. $2k isn't too bad if it moves. 'Course now the missus is waffling a little bit... :)
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Keep it for yourself and show who's man enough to ride a pink Stella!

Or paint.
dflo

Post by dflo »

Ha! My wife didn't know how to ride manual when we bought it, so I had to drive it home, 14 miles across town. 280 lb, 6 ft bald guy on a pink scooter. Quite the spectacle indeed.
Lovelandstella

the pink beast

Post by Lovelandstella »

Pink is rare now, but you're right to worry that it'd take a long time to sell it to the person who will pay a ton of money for it.

Have you considered selling it back to a dealer? - but before they try to low-ball you, you'd be able to convince them that:
- the pink is a collectors color (thus the dealership will be able to charge a collectors price for it if they wish)
- and it'll help their own lineup look more diverse (catch many a customer's eye)
- and they would also be better suited to hold out for a collecting buyer while still keeping "pinkie" in good condition (starting her up every day, etc.)
That way you could maybe something more than $2k and get it done quick with none of the care and maintenance troubles of keeping it for a long time.

Otherwise- "in this economy" I get the feeling your options are: sell now probably for lower than you'd like, or expect to still have to care for this scoot for possibly a year while you hold out for a big spending connoisseur.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Oh Loveland, just buy it for Batgirl.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

bluezurich wrote:Oh Loveland, just buy it for Batgirl.
you know I asked her and it was a temptation (she loves the look of the stella over even the buddy) and in PINK no less, but she is very intimidated by the shifting aspect, and the seat is too high for her and as she said "it seems like too much scooter" for her.

I'm afraid she holding out for some kind of pink "La vita" but that's another topic entirely.

anyway sorry dflo, I was this close to sending you a PM untill the missus put the Kibosh on that.
though If I can razz her for a year on it, we may be calling you after the next tax refund! but please dont make any decisions waiting for us.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
deck99

Post by deck99 »

dflo,
I'm over in omaha and I just paid $2500 for a brand new '09 with two new helmets.

If I were you I would start at $1950, with very little wiggle room. I have seen a few on craigs list lately in great shape. They aren't moving because they are priced over $2K.

Just my .02.

deck99
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

And if I might add, while PINK might be considered a rare collectible color, your audience that will actually pay a premium for a pink scooter is narrow, indeed. Women scooter owners are a smaller sub group of the scooter community to begin with, and even smaller is the group of women that want a shifty. I am not advocating offering a low price, but just keep in mind that it might take a long while to find that one buyer that has gotta have a rare pink shifty. As a friend of mine at a well known local scooter shop told me a few months ago, there is an obvious reason Genuine made a limited number of Pink Stellas. Which is probably why no 'Pinkies' have been in any Stella line-up since 2005.

Good luck with the sale, though. We own a Stella 'Pinky' and love it!

Ted
murmur

Post by murmur »

I really hope that that is not you selling the pink Stella in Denver for $3200. That is more than the scoot cost new. Even my GB would not fetch that price and only one hundred were made. As far as being a collectors item, that is what Sportique told people inorder to get them out the door. If you don't want it ,sell it at the right price and let someone else enjoy it.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

There were only two types of collector item or special edition Stellas. GB 150 in brg (100) and the Atomic Fireball with an upgraded engine. (500)

Colors came and went and I agree with what the previous poster said, that was just a sales technique.

I am partial to the darker blue they made in the earlier editions. What year was that?
murmur

Post by murmur »

You are right on about the GB150, the Atomic FB had a production run of 150. they have the same engine but taller gears for a higher top end. I think the blue came out the same year as the artic white. 2003 maybe.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Thanks, don't know where I got that 500 number.
dflo

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Post by dflo »

Yeah, I'm not the one asking $3200... that WOULD be sweet to get, tho!
maribell

Post by maribell »

We can trade. My red for your pink. Ever since I got rid of my pink buddy I have had a hang up to get another pink scooter ever since.
murmur

Re: Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Post by murmur »

dflo wrote:Yeah, I'm not the one asking $3200... that WOULD be sweet to get, tho!
We ended up getting it for $2500, which was still too much but the little lady is happy.
tbonestone

Re: Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Post by tbonestone »

murmur wrote:
dflo wrote:Yeah, I'm not the one asking $3200... that WOULD be sweet to get, tho!
We ended up getting it for $2500, which was still too much but the little lady is happy.
AWESOME! I know Julie is bummed. :P
murmur

Post by murmur »

Whats up T-Bone! I think we picked up a different pink Stella than the OP was talking about. You going to be in town for Sloppy Seconds?
kivrot

Post by kivrot »

Hey Murm! Long time, no scoot! Yes, Tbone's coming in for Sloppy Seconds! I'm off the market for a pink Stella (just picked up a '73 Rally :D) When you gonna get your lazy ass out to HiTav??