Do I need to obey the pet carrier weight limit? Damage??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coastlinebay

Do I need to obey the pet carrier weight limit? Damage??

Post by coastlinebay »

The owners manual for my Vino 125 says the weight limit for the pet carrier is 11 pounds. The reason I'm asking is because I just got the OnGuard Beast 5016L, which is something like 17.5 pounds.

Does putting too much weight in the pet carrier damage the parts of the scoot directly underneath the carrier? How much weight do y'all put in your pet carrier?

Thanks! ~ btw, first post! Longtime MB fan :D
Vic

Post by Vic »

I know someone will be along soon to give more advice, but in the mean time...

Remember that putting weight on the back of the scooter like on a back rack alters the handling of the scooter in ways that it was not specifically designed to have, it also may wear the back tire out faster. The rack itself may also, at some point in time, fail-such at at a weld and it is my understanding that this is usually something that does not give a lot of warning.

The scooter was designed to have the weight focused over the passenger areas, you take your risks doing things differently.

Is jsut the case 17 pounds, and then you would be adding more weight to it when you put things into the case? This must be a pretty big case.

Cheers,
-v
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

i use to have a vino 125. you're talking about the "under seat storage" right? not a "top case"? If it's under the seat, you're fine. Load that thing up. If anything, it's just going to lower the center of gravity, which might be better. If it's a topcase situation, be careful. The vino rear rack is junk, and can't really support it's own weight, much less lots of stuff.
paige

Post by paige »

Vic wrote:I know someone will be along soon to give more advice, but in the mean time...

Remember that putting weight on the back of the scooter like on a back rack alters the handling of the scooter in ways that it was not specifically designed to have, it also may wear the back tire out faster. The rack itself may also, at some point in time, fail-such at at a weld and it is my understanding that this is usually something that does not give a lot of warning.

The scooter was designed to have the weight focused over the passenger areas, you take your risks doing things differently.

Is jsut the case 17 pounds, and then you would be adding more weight to it when you put things into the case? This must be a pretty big case.

Cheers,
-v
She (?) is talking about the underseat storage area. I would think the chain would be okay, the plastic should hold up to that weight. Keep in mind, it limits the ability to carry anything else. I would keep an eye on it and see if it deforms, like in the summer when it is hot and the chain just sits all the time. It will probably affect the handling as well. (If it slides around.)
coastlinebay

Post by coastlinebay »

yup I did mean the under seat storage area.
Apparently in the Buddys the carburetor is directly beneath it. If anyone else has warnings or live-and-learn stories about not loading up the under seat storage too heavy, just let me know. thanks for the replies! :)
Vic

Post by Vic »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
that's what I get for posting from work when I am in training and I am trying to hide what I am doing by keeping this window shrunken down really small...

sorry about that. :0

I never even thought of a weight limit in the pet carrier! Hmmm.

-v