Scooter Ladies!! Safe Scooter Shoes??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JuleBox

Scooter Ladies!! Safe Scooter Shoes??

Post by JuleBox »

Hey Ladies!

Does anyone know where to get a safe pair of fashionable scooter shoes? I'm not really feeling my hiking boots anymore and I really dread buying Harley Boots. When I was in Seattle, I was in the Vespa dealer (the big one close to Queen Anne area) and I was looking in a magazine ( not sure which one) and I saw a pair of high-heeled treaded scooter shoes. I have been searching and searching and find nothing online. Does anyone recognize or know what I am talking about? Or have any other suggestions.

Trying not to loose my sense of fashion and style without jeopardizing safety.

JuleBox
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

I'm not sure what boots you are talking about, but I would suggest checking out the Frye website:

http://www.thefryecompany.com/Women-Boots.aspx

I have a pair of Frye 'cowboy' boots that I'm in love with... they will be great for riding (once my Italia comes in this week) ;)
KnottyKnitter

Post by KnottyKnitter »

I bought a pair of Icon's Hella boots and I can't get the damn things to zip. So I gave up and bought a pair of doc martens instead. They aren't motorcycle/scooter boots specifically but they feel/fit better then the icons.

SFJess

Post by SFJess »

I really like my docs. They're comfortable and I feel a lot safer when I wear them. They come in cool colors too.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am not sure what shoes you are talking about, I have a pair of Harley Boots that do not scream "Harley" (I covered the orange logo on the tongue with a black Sharpie). They are super comfortable, have a sole that makes me feel very secure on any surface, and they zip on and off-but have a lace up front so I can fine tune the fit to perfection.
I wear the boots and when I arrive I just take a few seconds and swap them for the shoes in my pet carrier (or the pair under my desk).
Safety AND fashion. :D
-v
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Scoot Magazine has ads from these people

http://www.fluevog.com/

But I really don't know if they have anything that's really safe for scooting.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have Doc's as well. They are the tall ones. I think only with certain rare outfit can they be considered borderline fashionable :D . I find them quite hot in the summer. I am looking for shorter boots now. I have a couple other boots I wear that are OK. One is Miss Sixty. they no long make them...i got them for 75% off in the East Village. they had a nice thick sole and were in leather. another was from DSW-they are high heeled. I can wear them with the Buddy but they do not offer the stability to get the GTS beast on the center stand.
for me the important thing is a THICK rubber sole with a ton of tread. It is actually kind of hard to find. I like the icon boots but they are kind of pricey.
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

Peabody, just curious. Why do you feel like you need a lot of tread?

(I'm new to scootering)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Reesh wrote:Peabody, just curious. Why do you feel like you need a lot of tread?

(I'm new to scootering)
when the pavement is wet or oily it really makes a difference when you put your feet down at stops. Also when you are manuvering parking you are more stable if you put your feet on gravel or sand-this is actually more common than you would think. While it is a no no I have run around the neighborhood on the buddy on thin soled pumas for instance, and lost my footing for a second in these conditions.

In an accident I would be sorry for having so little protection (but the sole would not matter at this point as it would be more about toe and anke protection)

all this said the buddy is low for me and it has not been a huge problem wearing less sturdy shoes. The vespa on the other hand is downright scary in anything but thick grippy boots. I am guess if someone where rather short statured or very light they would feel the same about the Buddy.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I do want to mention that ankle protection is the big reason I got my boots. Last summer a friend was sitting on her scooter at a stoplight (she was at a full stop). She had stopped with her feet on a painted white line that was wet and her foot slipped and her scooter landed on top of her ankle.
She had a clean break that healed without surgery, but she went out and got a pair of RIDING boots. She then explained to anyone that would listen about appropriate footwear. Not every pair of boots is made for the person that is going to be holding the scooter up at lights, getting it on and off of the center stand and so forth-some boots are made for the pretty little thing that hops up on the back when the Rider nods permission.
I think those stacked heel boots are beautiful, but if I am on a slippery patch of residue at a stoplight or trying to keep myself and my RV250 upright...(I literally have to stand on the center stand for a couple of heartbeats before it will lumber on up there, so slippery or thin soles would be impossible, and dangerous).
Just my opinion. It is an entirely personal decision and up to each individual, this is my opinion about my own situation.
-v
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I went to my local Payless in a kiddies department (boy's to be exact) I found nice sturdy construction style boots that were under $30.00. I've been using them ever since last summer and they are still holding up (not that I am doing much riding) they are tan color. My only complaint is that they are kind of warm in the summer but in terms of protection there isn't that much choice out there. Perforated leather with reinforced ankle would be nice but no one has come up with anything like that :(
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Any boot that has a non slip surface would be good. You use the term "shoe" which to me implies not over the ankle, which is not a good thing. Asphalt + ankle bone = ugly injury possibilities. I wear my trusty 20 year old Red Wing women's work boots, and I am sending them in soon to be re-soled. I am going to see if I can get the Vibram soles which are oil resistant (won't slip on oily wet road surfaces as easily).
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

So I'll probably thank myself for wearing these?

My frankenstein backpacking boots 8)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i've got Nike dunk hi-tops. they can give you a super retro look if you are into that kind of style.

JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

dakotamouse wrote:Scoot Magazine has ads from these people

http://www.fluevog.com/

But I really don't know if they have anything that's really safe for scooting.

This was exactly what I was looking at. I remembered the heels having tread on them. They aren't that "safe" looking. They are pretty pricey too. I guess they probably wouldn't be the best for me. Great job finding the company for me :D
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

Wonderful feedback! Between my shoes and the clock issue I have a lot of shopping around to do ;)

The humidity has just been so High here in DC it's just not practical to have my hiking boots on all the time...I like the idea of zip-up boots and swapping out for sandals in the cargo case.

During the high heat summer weather does everyone try to wear armored jackets for protection still? I try to keep my rev'it (light material) summer jacket on but it's so sticky and sweaty.

When I first got the scoot I was a moron and rode with flip flops, shorts and a tank top. I now know this isn't and wasn't the best idea. If I fall or crash, I would like to keep my skin on my body
:?
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

http://www.shoemall.com/product/Skecher ... paign=CSE/

Posting this for anyone interested..
I'm 5'1, so I essentially need something with a heel on it as well or at least a thicker sole or tread. I found these skechers. They may not be the hottest looking shoe out there but they will provide ventilation, height, tread and support. I have heard great things about all the Shape Ups.
JuleBox
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

JuleBox wrote:Wonderful feedback! Between my shoes and the clock issue I have a lot of shopping around to do ;)

The humidity has just been so High here in DC it's just not practical to have my hiking boots on all the time...I like the idea of zip-up boots and swapping out for sandals in the cargo case.

During the high heat summer weather does everyone try to wear armored jackets for protection still? I try to keep my rev'it (light material) summer jacket on but it's so sticky and sweaty.

When I first got the scoot I was a moron and rode with flip flops, shorts and a tank top. I now know this isn't and wasn't the best idea. If I fall or crash, I would like to keep my skin on my body
topic14926.html

I have this jacket in black for spring and fall and white for summer.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Lmyers, you and I are going to look very similar at AV. Red Stella + White FirstGear? :goofy:

Great minds think alike.

As far as riding shoes are concerned, I tend to not choose the best footwear for riding. Just don't wear slip ons. They will come off during a crash. I would look into getting some used Doc's from a thrift store or cowboy boots if you are interested in fashion but lack the $$ for fluevogs and the like. Especially if you are going to change out when you arrive at your destination.
Vic

Post by Vic »

JuleBox wrote: During the high heat summer weather does everyone try to wear armored jackets for protection still? I try to keep my rev'it (light material) summer jacket on but it's so sticky and sweaty.

I have a white and lavender mesh and textile jacket made by Scorpion and I actually find that I am significantly cooler with the jacket on than I am with the sun blistering my skin. Do realise, however, that I am also a natural redhead and that I wear SPF 5gazillion just to watch the travel channel on TV, so that is a big consideration for me. But, my mesh jacket gets a little damp and the wind blows through it and it really does a super job of keeping the sun off of me and letting the air movement cool me off. There is a reason that people that live in the desert for generations wear garments that keep them completely covered and it is the tourists that run around in their little spaghetti straps and tank tops getting skin cancer, heatstroke and leather skin.

I also use a bandana. On the super hot days that just kill you, if you take a bandana and soak it in cold water, then wrap the wet bandana around your neck, the cool water will help to cool your core down super fast--this is a trick from the Australians from the Outback, and they know a little something about surviving in nasty heat too.

cheers,
-v
brape

Post by brape »

I have narrow feet so trying on shoes first is a must. I couldn't find a pair of docs in a store that fit me, so I went to a local store that sells work boots, carharts and some out door gear and got a pair of georgia logger boots. They come up to below my calf, I think they're cute and have oil resistant soles. They are intended for real hard out door work, and as a result I think the build quality is better then a lot of less expensive boots. (also they where on sale :-P) Ohh... and the hooks on top make it easy to losen up the boots while I sit though my 3 hour class.
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

topic14926.html

I have this jacket in black for spring and fall and white for summer.[/quote]

WOW!!! Thank You sooo MUCH! That is like the best thing I heard all week. Can't beat the price. Have read nothing but great reviews about it.. even coming from people who live in the yucky humidity of FL. :)

Sweet colors too!
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

brape wrote:I have narrow feet so trying on shoes first is a must. I couldn't find a pair of docs in a store that fit me, so I went to a local store that sells work boots, carharts and some out door gear and got a pair of georgia logger boots. They come up to below my calf, I think they're cute and have oil resistant soles. They are intended for real hard out door work, and as a result I think the build quality is better then a lot of less expensive boots. (also they where on sale :-P) Ohh... and the hooks on top make it easy to losen up the boots while I sit though my 3 hour class.
Good deal!
Do you have carharts for the winter? I absolutely love mine. I rode all winter long in those and my heated gloves.. oooo so nice ;) Makes me all toasty and warm thinking about the combo. of both :P
JuleBox
bunny

Post by bunny »

Justin Boots has a line of weatherproofed leather zip ups that I absolutely LOVE for riding...however I have to add the disclaimer: I wear my heels on my scooter daily.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Fluevhogs are way to pricey for me to wear on my scooter. Heck, they are out of my price range in general.

I ride mainly in these my Dr. Marten Milly boots

they aren't steel toe but I love 'em. I carry walking around shoes with me. This summer I'm looking for a shorter boot. I'll let you know what I fall in love with but these milly's are zip ups and comfy!
brape

Post by brape »

[quote="JuleBox"Good deal!
Do you have carharts for the winter? I absolutely love mine. I rode all winter long in those and my heated gloves.. oooo so nice ;) Makes me all toasty and warm thinking about the combo. of both :P[/quote]

I have a pair of cabela's fleece lined jeans for cold weather riding. Snagged them off the clearance rack mid summer :)
paige

Post by paige »

Those Doc Marten Milly boots are cute. How is the fit on the upper calf? I have very *strong* calves, so fit is very difficult in mainstream boots.
Mj1010

Post by Mj1010 »

JuleBox wrote:Wonderful feedback! Between my shoes and the clock issue I have a lot of shopping around to do ;)

I just got the Rev'it Womens Air Jacket, is this the one your speaking of?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-w ... ir-jacket#
"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise."
~Alice Walker
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I'm a big fan of doc's. I have 1460's and a Darcie for platform fun. Image.

Online in the men's section, they have the crazy bomb which gives you a couple inches.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am sure many will disagree, and maybe rightfully, but I think those platforms could work for me. In my case it is not the height of the heel, but the sturdiness/thinkness/gripiness of the sole that matters most.

edit. I feel a purchase of platforms coming on. possibly. did anyone save their doc martins shopping code?? :) do share !
brape

Post by brape »

peabody99 wrote:I am sure many will disagree, and maybe rightfully, but I think those platforms could work for me. In my case it is not the height of the heel, but the sturdiness/thinkness/gripiness of the sole that matters most.

edit. I feel a purchase of platforms coming on. possibly. did anyone save their doc martins shopping code?? :) do share !
If you are safe leaning on platforms then I don't have a problem with it. (My ankles would die if I tried to do that)

However, I think you would be better off learning how to lean to one side when you stop, putting only one foot on the ground.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

paige wrote:Those Doc Marten Milly boots are cute. How is the fit on the upper calf? I have very *strong* calves, so fit is very difficult in mainstream boots.
I'm a big girl, myself and big girls have big calves. I've never had any problems they've got a little v cut in them with elastic. Worth a try. I love them!
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

Mj1010 wrote:

I just got the Rev'it Womens Air Jacket, is this the one your speaking of?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-w ... ir-jacket#

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Pr ... -White.jpg

This is the one I have. I bought it for spring and Fall. Not to good past 75 deg. weather :oops: Sooo.. I am now looking for a mesh one that has more ventilation. The one I have does have a removable liner but it doesn't do much/ I like the price and the style by Newenough.

Your air jacket is probably a lot better in the heat. I just feel really bad about spending close to 200 bux on another jacket after I JUST bought one in the spring (not sure where spring went tho :/ ) lol I did try the baby blue one on and it did fit me like a glove. Nice Jacket you have.

How do you like yours?
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

jijifer wrote:Fluevhogs are way to pricey for me to wear on my scooter. Heck, they are out of my price range in general.

they aren't steel toe but I love 'em. I carry walking around shoes with me. This summer I'm looking for a shorter boot. I'll let you know what I fall in love with but these milly's are zip ups and comfy!

These are sweet!!
Love them! Doc's have really come a long way! Thnx!!
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

jijifer wrote:Fluevhogs are way to pricey for me to wear on my scooter. Heck, they are out of my price range in general.

Found these on Overstock for a good price. They are "low" but still cover the ankle ;) PLus they're cute!
JuleBox
JuleBox

Post by JuleBox »

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes ... oduct.html

HAHA.. i guess it would help if I posted the link.
JuleBox
brape

Post by brape »

"motorcycle inspirerd" doesn't give me much confidence that these are meant as riding boots. I suspect that they might be made of fashion leather that won't hold up in a crash. They also have zero tread. Think about what you are trying to accomplish by wearing boots and what the boots need to have in order to meet those needs. Treads and an oil resistant sole are on my list of must haves, as is heavy duty leather.
Last edited by brape on Tue May 04, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vic

Post by Vic »

brape wrote:"motorcycle inspirerd" doesn't give me much confidence that these are meant as riding boots. I suspect that they might be made of fashion leather that won't hold up in a crash. They also have zero tread. Think about what you are trying to accomplish by wearing boots and what the boots need to have in order to meet those needs. Treads and a leather resistant sole are on my list of must haves, as is heavy duty leather.
+1
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I wear Doc Marten boots, steel-toe & regular. I add arch supports b/c I feel their OG style boots are too flat to be comfortable. With arch supports, I can wear my Doc 8-eyes all day in a rally situation with no problems.

I also wear TUK & GPX brand creepers. I prefer mondo creepers b/c they have a 3 inch platform & I'm hella short, but I have regular 1-inch platforms, too. I also found a pair of Doc Marten creepers at the Zappos warehouse in Kentucky. That place was like the happiest place on Earth (for me)! :bat:

The thing with creepers is there's no ankle protection, so I only wear those around town. It's probably not the safest choice, but it beats the little skimmer "ballet" flats I usually favor. I have considered purchasing some motorcycle boots specifically made for summer riding for the long rides to rallies, because having hot feet is really uncomfortable. However, I always seem to find somewhere else to spend $200+ :roll:
ModBud #442
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

Reesh wrote:So I'll probably thank myself for wearing these?

My frankenstein backpacking boots 8)
I have backpacking boots very similar to this for winter riding. In the summer I have another pair of hiking boots that have more ventilation and ankle padding/support.

I'm not sure if anyone here has heard the story- I can't remember where I read it- about a scooterist who had her tennis shoes rip right off her feet in a crash and her toes were ground down to nubs. After reading about that I don't assume that it's going to stay on my foot just because it laces up. It's hiking boots all the way.

In the summer I wear a mesh jacket. It's still a bit warm at times, but usually it's manageable.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

If all else fails, there's always Norstrom :
http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6027613/0~2 ... bo=6027613

:lol:
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Stormswift wrote:If all else fails, there's always Norstrom :
http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6027613/0~2 ... bo=6027613

:lol:
hahaha! I definitely need the Jeffrey Campbell 'Rally' sandal
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

What is the deal with Fluevogs? I'm new at this scooter thing, but i ALWAYS wear heels or wedges. Are the Fluevogs worth the money?
Vic

Post by Vic »

glamourgirrrl wrote:What is the deal with Fluevogs? I'm new at this scooter thing, but i ALWAYS wear heels or wedges. Are the Fluevogs worth the money?
It's just an advertisement in a magazine, not necessarily a scooter thing. I promise you won't be kicked out of the club for not wearing the cute, but way over-priced Fluvelogs. :wink:

-v
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

I'm really fond of Tecnica boots for winter in general too... I can't imagine them not working very well on a scooter

http://www.tecnicausa.com/site/footwear ... n=4&idN=63

http://www.tecnicausa.com/site/footwear ... n=4&idN=64
2010 Buddy SI 150 RIP "Peapod"
2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super "Peapod the White" back and more powerful than ever!
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2008 Gary Fisher Supercaliber
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Not one of the ladies, but you might look at these:

http://www.drmartens.com/ProductList.asp?Type=Boot

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Fluvogs are the best shoes ever! I have a pair of supervogs and a pair of radios, but neither would be good for the scooter. For the scooter I'm buying these

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=g ... ourID=2582

and maybe these

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=g ... ourID=2424

One really can't own too many pair of Fluvogs they are amazingly confortable, amazingly good looking, and they last forever. I used to be a huge fan of the Doc Martin boots but since they sent production to china the quality has really sucked. They do make two models which are still produced in England to the original specs but they cost just as much as the Fluvogs do.

another really good boot are Grinders

http://grindersfootwear.com/onlinestore ... ucts_id=13

I havn't bought a pair in quite awhile but when I did they were built like bricks and last forever.

For my money, I'll stick with the Fluvogs though.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Converse now makes steel-toe "all-star" boots They're not quite as cool (or light/comfortable) as all-stars, but they don't wear away like a pencil eraser in a crash, either. From five feet away, they could almost pass as regular all-stars. Well, as black leather all-stars with black rubber.

I've been rocking them for a few months and I think they're a good compromise between fashion and safety, or at least the best I've found.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ranette

Post by ranette »

My wife and I both have a pair or two of Fleuvog's each, fashionable and functional shoes, but certainly not for riding. After quite a bit of searching she found the Diadora Donna to be the best combination of style and protection. Doing a quick search it seems as if they may be discontinued but I'm sure there are some out there if you look.

Another boot that passed her fashion test and is designed for riding is the Gaerne G Donah.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I simply cannot believe THe Berlin Wall is still in business after all these years! I was there last some 25 years ago!

Fluevogs rock, much better construction and detail than China Docs for sure.

Gaerne makes quality shoes as does Sidi. Can't go wrong with an Italian Moto boot.