Thinking about a Stella.... BOUGHT MINE!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

Thinking about a Stella.... BOUGHT MINE!

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... I know that a lot of this stuff could be found by searching but there is SO MUCH in the old threads, I am having trouble finding what I want + I know that most MB members are happy to help so here goes....

I have had my Rattler 50 (modified) for 2 years now & I really have a thing for Stellas now.
One reason is mine only does 47mph (on a straight, flat road, without out a head wind) & I cant ride it to work... I really need to be able to cruise at 50 or 55 for about 2 miles of the 12 mile ride to make it to work.
Note: I have a 2T scooter now & 3 2T snowmobiles & I would like to get a 2T Stella before they are all gone.
I am either looking for a "new" 2009 Stella or a used in very good shape

So... here are the questions

How fast is a stock stella ? (I hear between 45 & 65 - what is your experience?)

Because they are steel & weigh a lot more than my Rattler, are Stellas a little harder to ride? (cornering?)

How does shifting work? (I have had manual cars, but never ridden a manual scoot or motorcycle)

Reliability? (I may end up buying one direct from Scooterworks Chicago (the two other Chicago suburban genuine dealers are gone) and Scooterworks is about an hour away (probably a little more if I was hauling a scooter in for service on a trailer)

Has anyone really ever used the spare tire? (as in changed it on the side of the road)

Thats a that a brake pedal on the floorboard right? Is that for the front or rear brake?

I hear the riding a Stealla will make you appear smarter, much cooler & more attractive to the opposite sex... is this true?

Any advice is appreciated & if anyone wants to post a link to another thread that answers any of these questions, that is also appreciated
thanks to everyone in advance
Last edited by ScootLemont on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Speed- Stock at 6,500 feet elevation, my stock Stella would cruise reliably at 45-50MPH. I would expect that to be at least 10 mph faster at sea level.

After installing a Sito+, it now cruises at a reliable 55-60.

I think the bike is easier to ride than the Buddy (and by extension the rattler). The added weight makes it less twitchy and more stable, while still being light enough to really play with. Suspension is less smooth than the Buddy, but it seems to absorb bigger impacts better.

You will get used to shifting the bike on your first drive home if you understand how a clutch is supposed to work. Its easy. Building coordination with the brake pedal takes a little longer, but is no big deal.3

The scooter will have more issues than a PGO. Just the nature of the beast- you are working with a 30 year old design built on a factory floor about that old, vs. a modern PGO factory. My experience has been a lot of electrical issues, some minor issues with rubber rot, but the mission critical mechanicals seem to be holding up well. Expect to fiddle with stuff, but don't expect to get stranded.

You can definitely change the tire on the side of the road. If changing the back, It would really help to have somebody that could put weight on the handlebars so that the scooter balances on the front wheel and the kickstand, assuming you are doing it without a jack. Still, totally doable.

Floorboard is rear brake. Now that I am used to it, I like it better than a handlebar brake.

I've gotten a little bit of play from the opposite sex on it, but I would definitely not call it a chick magnet. It does draw more attention from everyone than the Buddy. I really wouldn't buy any bike to get chicks, much less a scooter.
Valves are for wussies.
lmyers

Re: Thinking about a Stella.... Questions... & any advic

Post by lmyers »

ScootLemont wrote:So... here are the questions

How fast is a stock stella ? (I hear between 45 & 65 - what is your experience?)

My 02 is pretty slow, but she's got a ton of miles on her. 55 indicated tops
I had Stella von Tow at 60 indicated before the linkage on the throttle slide worked loose. Here's hoping that glitch is fixed

Because they are steel & weigh a lot more than my Rattler, are Stellas a little harder to ride? (cornering?)

Not harder, just a different ride

How does shifting work? (I have had manual cars, but never ridden a manual scoot or motorcycle)

Easy Peasy

Reliability? (I may end up buying one direct from Scooterworks Chicago (the two other Chicago suburban genuine dealers are gone) and Scooterworks is about an hour away (probably a little more if I was hauling a scooter in for service on a trailer)

You have to be ready to tinker, the wiring is a huge nightmare. You may have to make regular sacrifices to the wiring gods. I offer beer every couple of months

Has anyone really ever used the spare tire? (as in changed it on the side of the road)

Yes, and I'm a woman.

Thats a that a brake pedal on the floorboard right? Is that for the front or rear brake?

It's the rear brake and if you really tromp on it, you can slide :D

I hear the riding a Stealla will make you appear smarter, much cooler & more attractive to the opposite sex... is this true?

Yes, yes and no, but I AM more attractive to women and that's REALLY what you want, right?

Any advice is appreciated & if anyone wants to post a link to another thread that answers any of these questions, that is also appreciated
jmkjr72

Re: Thinking about a Stella.... Questions... & any advic

Post by jmkjr72 »

ScootLemont wrote: I am either looking for a "new" 2009 Stella or a used in very good shape

So... here are the questions

living in north east wi i saw regular crusing at 50 to 55
it rides a bit diffrent then my zuma but its not harder to ride you just have to remember that it is a bit heavier on the right side

i love the first gear clunk its not that hard to do

i have 4300 miles on my 08 and other then a few wireing issues i have had nothing join up on stella speed if you get one they can be a great help

i havent had to change it on the side of the road but it did save me from having to buy a new tire to start the season i have had flats on the zuma and wished i had a spare but it can be done you need to lay your scooter on its side to do it easily

rear

well i tell you what on the zuma no one would stop any time i was on the side of the road with the stella its a shame im married so many hot women have stoped to see if i needed anything when i just pulled over to take a phone call or get a drink
you will get a ton of attention
plus yesterday when i pulled in on my stella to do a mobile service the people were paying more attention to my stella then anything else

z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Hi Scootlamont,

45mph for cruising 50mph top speed
I got about 850 miles on it so far, maybe it'll improve.

Cheers
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Have you checked out the "Gentle Art of Shifting"?

http://www.bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20 ... ifting.htm

It's supposedly for the Bajaj Chetak, but pretty much all of the info is applicable to the Stella. I'm a bookish sort, so having something to read helped me a LOT when I was learning how to shift.
ModBud #442
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

polianarchy wrote:Have you checked out the "Gentle Art of Shifting"?
http://www.bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20 ... ifting.htm
Thats good info - thanks

I am wondering about the Stella shifting
clutch is left or right handle bar lever?
shifter is left or right grip?
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

All done on the left side like a motorcycle, except you don't use your foot.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

lmyers wrote:Image

All done on the left side like a motorcycle, except you don't use your foot.
Now you're going to segue into a dogleg discussion with that pic! We gotta take these tutorials slow!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

bluezurich wrote:Now you're going to segue into a dogleg discussion with that pic! We gotta take these tutorials slow!
I've got freakishly small hands.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

lmyers wrote:All done on the left side like a motorcycle, except you don't use your foot.
Thanks - the pic helps a lot
seems like it might be weird to clutch & shift at the same time with the same had but I guess you all got used to it

so the entire assembly moves when you shift, lever & all??
maribell

Post by maribell »

Yep. Squeeze, turn, release.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just talked to Genuine (scooterworks Chicago) they have one orange & 2 blue left of the 2009s
Might have to take a drive Saturday to Chicago & take a look
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I like orange (obviously) but that shade of blue is really sweet. I guess I like it so much because everyone I know has red, black or avocado.
maribell

Post by maribell »

I would go with orange. Hook 'em!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Your avatar has a blue scooter. ijs
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

yeah... blue would match my avatar... but I dont see me on the light blue
Orange would be very cool
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... still lusting but.....
the electrical issues have me a little concerned (with service an hour or more away)
I sold my 79 Fiat Spider 2 years ago just before I bought my scooter & like most 70's Fiats, it has some electrical "issues"
(some = many & issues = big problems)
Because of this I have a good amount of experience dealing with electrical problems.... more than I would like to have. I am unsure if I want to go down that road again....

Anyone have a Stella that has NOT had ANY electrical problems?
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

*crickets*
maribell

Post by maribell »

My battery is dead. It took about 3 electric starts and died. Once I get her warmed up she starts first kick though.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ScootLemont wrote:Anyone have a Stella that has NOT had ANY electrical problems?
surely thers's someone... anyone? speak up friends! :|
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

My Stella is an '09. At 900 mi. I have not had any electrical problems, including during two deliberate rides close to home in heavy rain to see if it would develop any shorts. Maybe lucky, perhaps?

There are several well-documented electrical issues that are not uncommon, e.g., the kill switch, but there likewise are a number of fairly straightforward fix-its posted (StellaSpeed).

I fully expect some electrical issues to arise, unfortunately it seems to go with the territory, but the pure joy of riding a Stella for me outweighs any potential (perhaps likely) electrical inconvenience. But then again, I like to tinker.
Clearly.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

ScootLemont wrote:yeah... blue would match my avatar... but I dont see me on the light blue
Maybe change the avatar?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

maribell wrote:My battery is dead. It took about 3 electric starts and died. Once I get her warmed up she starts first kick though.
I learned pretty quick not to use the electric start. My battery was almost dead also after 3 electric starts. Now I just use the kick start and she starts on 2nd kick if cold, 1st if warm. Don't need no steeenking electric start. 8)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ScootLemont wrote:yeah... blue would match my avatar... but I dont see me on the light blue
http://reannuh.tumblr.com/post/52387379 ... this-joker

My BFF took that photo of our pal Dan Rossano on his Stella. I LOVE the 08/09 blue. It's the color of a Tiffany's box. 8)

The 4T slate blue looks a bit ashy for my taste, but I hear it's much richer in person. I have to say though, I've loved just about every color Genuine's picked for the Stellas. *happily sips the kool-aid*
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Lovelandstella wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:Anyone have a Stella that has NOT had ANY electrical problems?
surely thers's someone... anyone? speak up friends! :|
No problems here *so far* :D

And I love my electric start. I use it more often than the kick start.
ModBud #442
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Lovelandstella wrote: surely thers's someone... anyone? speak up friends! :|
polianarchy wrote:No problems here *so far* :D
And I love my electric start. I use it more often than the kick start.
[wipes brow] Phew! thanks for speaking up! 8)
~Lovelandstella
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Ah the kickstart, a hallmark and unfortunately a vestige of scooterdom. The only way to start IMHO.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

maribell wrote:My battery is dead. It took about 3 electric starts and died. Once I get her warmed up she starts first kick though.
?

I've had my Stella for 6 months and 1000 miles, and have never kick started it. The battery starts every time.
Valves are for wussies.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i just about always use my ele start

i think a lot of the battery isses with scooters in genral is people dont ride long enough of far enough
short low rpm rides will not recharge you battery from starting it
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've got an '07 with 6200 miles on it and no electrical issues.....yet. The gas gauge is kaput, but that's no big deal and it's very common. I just fill up every 100 miles.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... so there seem to be some out there without the electrical gremlins...

still thinking this over

thanks to everyone for the input so far & please feel free to post up any thoughts
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Electrical may not be your biggest concern if you are an early adopter. This is a completely different beastWho knows what might be up with the 4t's. I'm going for it. But I'm a freak that way, just like with Apple products.

One thing we do know, you could pop wheelies before run in!
Oh and you'll also get to downshift unlike 2T's. SWEEEEEET
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

actually I am looking for a 2T

Just found this one... only 3 hours away

http://tinyurl.com/y38sudc

Black & I like the price
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Howardr wrote:I've got an '07 with 6200 miles on it and no electrical issues.....yet. The gas gauge is kaput, but that's no big deal and it's very common. I just fill up every 100 miles.

Howard
You realize the broken gas gauge is probably electrical, right?
Valves are for wussies.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

ScootLemont wrote:Ok... so there seem to be some out there without the electrical gremlins...

still thinking this over

thanks to everyone for the input so far & please feel free to post up any thoughts
I think you are being overly concerned. Calling the electrical problems "gremlins" implies that they are either difficult to fix or hard to diagnose- they are neither.

That said, I also think you are deluding yourself if you think you can own one of these long term and not expect to work/tinker on some piece of it.

Fixing minor issues on a Stella is certainly part of ownership. Rather than convince yourself that you won't have to, I think it would be better to convince yourself that you can do the work.
Valves are for wussies.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

bluezurich wrote: Oh and you'll also get to downshift unlike 2T's.
Huh? No comprende.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Anachronism wrote:
Howardr wrote:I've got an '07 with 6200 miles on it and no electrical issues.....yet. The gas gauge is kaput, but that's no big deal and it's very common. I just fill up every 100 miles.

Howard
You realize the broken gas gauge is probably electrical, right?
Yes, but not likely connected to the other electrical issues that Stellas seem to be prone to.
One of my scooter buddy's here also thinks it may just be fuel gummed up on the sensor in the tank, since the needle on the gauge actually moves a bit, it's just wonky.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Silver Streak wrote:
Huh? No comprende.
On a 2T, it's the throttle that causes oil to be pumped into the system to be used to lube the motor. If you're downshifting and making the gears slow you down, no oil is being pumped in. This is bad. For a Stella, you should always slow down with the brakes, not the motor.
This is not the case on 4T's.

Howard
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Howardr wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
Huh? No comprende.
On a 2T, it's the throttle that causes oil to be pumped into the system to be used to lube the motor. If you're downshifting and making the gears slow you down, no oil is being pumped in. This is bad. For a Stella, you should always slow down with the brakes, not the motor.

Howard
Got it. Thanks. Thought he was implying that it is actually impossible to downshift on a 2T.

Although I've owned a CVT 2T, I've never owned a shifty. I'd heard about the oil starvation problem on long downhills -- and understand it -- but it really wouldn't be a problem for brief engine braking, would it?
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
bluezurich

downshifting

Post by bluezurich »

I never said you CAN'T do it on a 2 stroke. Just that you can on a 4T. On a 2T you better know what you're doing. Not many do. I feel this is a completely reasonable post for a TnG forum.
I guess if my post count was a few thousand higher I would be praised instead of questioned.I am quite aware of how noobs are discriminated against and folks can deny it all they want but we all know the truth. I've been on 2t's for 25 years, I'm no noob, just new to MB. If these and other comments of mine in the past month were made on Stella Speed and Modern Vespa I would have been accepted. You have got a cute little church here.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote: I think you are being overly concerned. Calling the electrical problems "gremlins" implies that they are either difficult to fix or hard to diagnose- they are neither.

That said, I also think you are deluding yourself if you think you can own one of these long term and not expect to work/tinker on some piece of it.

Fixing minor issues on a Stella is certainly part of ownership. Rather than convince yourself that you won't have to, I think it would be better to convince yourself that you can do the work.
It does not sound like the issues that appear on some Stellas are beyond my ability to fix them. I just have to decide if I want a scooter that seems to have a tendency to have more "issues" than other scooters.
As I have mentioned, I owned a Fiat Spider for 8 years... & really enjoyed the car even with the occasional hours spent chasing down problems (many electrical). But... when I sold the Fiat I picked up a VW Cabrio (I seem to need at least one convertible in the garage). I loved my Fiat & like the Cabrio, but there is defiantly something to be said for not having to deal with any of the problems I had on the Fiat.

I guess I need to decide if I want to deal with some "issues" if they show up (as opposed to either sticking with my Rattler (only problem in 2 years was a digital speedo problem fixed under warranty) or looking for another vintage style scooter with a more modern mechanical / electrical system)

Sounds like I wont get much more top end & that was one the primary reasons for looking for a Stella.

But.... I still love the they way they look & still want one.

If I had a dealer closer to home, I really wouldnt worry about it & probably would have bought one already.

I will keep thinking on this & I really appreciate all the input you have all given me. It has been VERRY helpful (& makes me want to join the Stella community even more)
lmyers

Re: downshifting

Post by lmyers »

bluezurich wrote:I never said you CAN'T do it on a 2 stroke. Just that you can on a 4T. On a 2T you better know what you're doing. Not many do. I feel this is a completely reasonable post for a TnG forum.
I guess if my post count was a few thousand higher I would be praised instead of questioned.I am quite aware of how noobs are discriminated against and folks can deny it all they want but we all know the truth. I've been on 2t's for 25 years, I'm no noob, just new to MB. If these and other comments of mine in the past month were made on Stella Speed and Modern Vespa I would have been accepted. You have got a cute little church here.
Actually, you kinda did say you can't downshift a 2T and everyone who rides a shifty knows that you're saying it's a bad idea. The guy who rides an automatic didn't understand and said so. Don't be sensitive or you'll have to go hug TWO trees today. Church rules :P
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

on a related note... as I have been surfing the web, sending some emails & made a couple calls for stellas for sale, it appears that dealers in large cities are asking full list price for the last of the 2T Stellas (end of an era, last chance to own a real vintage design kind of attitude) and the dealers farther away from major cities are discounting the remaining 2T Stellas they have left (I assume because they feel they have more interest on the 4T from customers)
Last edited by ScootLemont on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ScootLemont wrote: on a related note... it appears that dealers in large cities are asking full list price for the last of the 2T Stellas (end of an era, last chance to own a real vintage design kind of attitude) ...
A note for anyone considering buying from a dealer asking full list price for a 2T, right now:

I love supporting dealers and the scooter industry, but I strongly suggest that you refuse to pay "full list price" for last year or older model- of a Stella or a Car or anything. It's just not wise in this economy for a consumer to do that, and one could argue that it's only "hunting for suckers" on the part of the dealer to do so.
a few reasons:
* If they sold "that" well- if the demand they say is there was really there: they would have sold out already. How long have they had them in stock? (at least a year) how long have we known that the 2t 's were no longer being made? (feburary) how many have they sold since then? (exactly).
* the insurance value on that year old veh would likely be less than the sticker price(precisely because it's a year older) - that means if you total it the day after you buy it, you could still owe the dealer/bank More than what you get from insurance- or "being upside down" on the loan. (real life translation: you have to still make payments on a scooter you no longer own, or even if you pay all upfront- you still can come up having to pay even more just to replace it with a similar model.) not fun at all.
* the new, amazing, game changing edition stella is listed at the same sticker price. New model one price. old model same price? say it out loud- it doesn't taste good in your mouth, does it? (maybe I just need to brush my teeth :P )
* End of an Era? true. an era which included producing more product than the demand. proof?: the era is over and yet they still have models in stock. oops. simple economics.
* "last chance to own a real vintage design?" not necessarily true. Every single 2T Stella on any Dealer lot in America is a "chance" to own a real vintage design. that's a lot, just look in your area alone. do you know that many people in your area looking to buy a stella 2t? Hint- they are probably the kind of (awesome!) people visiting all the same scooter websites you are...
* Trade-in's. My dealer had 2 Stella 2t's last month. (they had been there for over a year) Now, this month, they have 3 Stella 2t's ... that's right! someone traded in a 2t to help pay for the 4t they now have on order. that is negative 50% turnaround for the dealership! supply and demand? ouch!. further, its not likely - but there's a chance that 2t's could turn into the used DVD's of the world. to explian: You used to be able to sell a DVD to a ton of different stores and videogame places- now you are stuck to Hastings, and garage sales! you practically have to give them away. I cant be the only person who bought a blockbuster/hollywood video DVD in the last month for $1.00. (I kinda even felt a little ripped off after I watched "shark zone") see what I mean? god of scooterdom, I hope this doesn't become a reality - but I am starting to see a window of unfortunate possibility here.

I fully realize that the Stella 2t with a warranty and the genuine service and all the fun ect that comes with it is an awesome deal. no question- but to pay full price? less awesome, shall we say.
but I believe that for every handful of people seriously considering a stella 2t right now, that there are several handfulls of 2t stellas available...

anyway, I suggest you call the dealership on their bluff. tell them they can make you a deal (and them to make $$) or they can stick to their guns-and watch you walk away and right over to the other smart, competitive dealers (and the original dealer gets no $$ and waits another year to realize the pool of stella 2t purchasers has shrunk even more).

some dealers are lowering the price $1000. $1000?? who doesn't want to save $1000? - if anyone wants to say yes- DONT. we will all bug you about giving us the $1000 or asking for loans or something. we are silly like that. it's fun.

you probably weren't even considering paying list price- I'm sorry if I blew this out of proportion- but if there are any lurkers out there- here ya go - and for the rest of us? well at least I had fun typing this :oops:
anyway, I could be like 300% wrong on some of this stuff, but what I mean to say is: just don't pay full price when you don't have to.
especially when the spring fling package is over - where is their sugar to sweeten the deal?
that's all I'm saying.

(sorry I talk so much)
~Lovelandstella
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Lovelandstella wrote: * Trade-in's. My dealer had 2 Stella 2t's last month. (they had been there for over a year) Now, this month, they have 3 Stella 2t's ... that's right! someone traded in a 2t to help pay for the 4t they now have on order. that is negative 50% turnaround for the dealership! supply and demand? ouch!.

(sorry I talk so much)
dont be sorry... this is good stuff... & pretty much the way I feel about it.

I didnt think about 2Ts being traded in on 4Ts - There is a chance that dealerships could end up with several 2-5 year old Stellas taken in on trade & one of those would suite me just fine!!!
Thanks for pointing this out - I might just have to sit tight for a month or two & see what shows up on trade ins.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

My dealer, who happens to be the largest volume genuine dealer in the country (at least, so the news around here reports), is selling their 2t Stellas for $2,900.

They have plenty to choose from.

I paid $3,000 in September.

The market is soft on the 2ts.
Valves are for wussies.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well when my 08 was totaled out last year and i played the hey its been discontinued card guess what i got full msrp for mine from the ins company
so if i took the buy back and actauly put cash in my pocket as they valued it at more then i paid
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

jmkjr72 wrote:well when my 08 was totaled out last year and i played the hey its been discontinued card guess what i got full msrp for mine from the ins company
so if i took the buy back and actauly put cash in my pocket as they valued it at more then i paid
Really? whoops. well I am allways ready to admit I could be wrong. oh well. but while its a card we can all certianly remember to play in the unfortunate possibility that we may experience a similar loss, we should all remember that it's still not a gaurentee for everyone. the idea is that, from an insurance perspective, it's worth "less". we might be able to talk them into it (they might pity us)- but maybe not. ah well.
-ridiculous example: I could buy a "never sold from a dealership" H1 Hummer at original sticker price - total it and then demand the ins company pay me the sticker price- but I'm not gonna get it. I "could" but I wouldn't bet on it. I would even go so far as to say it'd be foolish to bet on it. but don't be fooled- I would still try - try with all my might and fight tooth and nail to get it and call every day and be the "squeaky wheel looking for grease" - do everything in my power as a consumer to try to get them to pretty much break the rules to make the customer happy- it's just that when/if I actually got it- I'd be pleasantly suprised. or if I got nothing I'd still feel like I tried but nothing unfair happened. or if at the very end the could only offer me 1/2 of the "extra" I was looking for, I would take it - knowing that as far as the rules go- I really deserved less and anything over the rules is really a gift to get me to shut up or because I proved a good point- and I'll take it.

also, Anachronism and I are probably talking about the same scooter dealer (prices wise)
Anachronism, is it this one? so it may not be "dealers across the nation are doing this- I suppose it could be just one? i dunno.

full disclosure- I did not buy my 4t from that dealer- even though I really wanted to. they are just too far away from me in "Northern Colorado".

again Also- the reason for the "new" used 2T at my dealer? honestly I just guessed why they sold it to the dealer. getting a 4t? the economy? I shouldn't have stated my guess as fact- but I have read on one of these sites that someone was thinking of doing that- and further it doesn't really matter- there are now more and more used 2ts showing up on dealer floors and they have Got to be charging less for them- the one I saw was over 5k miles! not what I am looking for- but for those who Are looking for that, the world is your scooter oyster! (geesh I have the worst "word pictures") 8)
~Lovelandstella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Howardr wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
Huh? No comprende.

Howard
Correct to some extent. With premix if your not giving it any throttle you will not have any lubrication.

Things are different with an injected system. The oil injector is driven by the crank. As long as the motor is turning over you have lubrication. It is still not the best idea to use the engine for braking.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL