Yogo (unfortunate name IMO) Electric Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

un_designer

Yogo (unfortunate name IMO) Electric Scooter

Post by un_designer »

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/yogo ... e-battery/

http://econogoelectricscooters.co.uk/

the scooter itself looks really familiar... i'm almost certain it's manufactured by someone else and repurposed by the uk company into an electric scooter. anyhow... just thought i'd share.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's a Vino clone body. Don't know where it's built.

I saw the new Vectrix VX2 this weekend. Actually kind of nice and is supposedly going to be priced under $4K.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

ericalm wrote:It's a Vino clone body. Don't know where it's built.

I saw the new Vectrix VX2 this weekend. Actually kind of nice and is supposedly going to be priced under $4K.
did whoever had one let you test ride it? i can't get over the pseudo-motorcycle look of some scooters, Vectrix included. i realize it comes down to personal taste, but scooters trying to look like a motorcycle just sort of defeats the purpose for me.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

un_designer wrote:

did whoever had one let you test ride it? i can't get over the pseudo-motorcycle look of some scooters, Vectrix included. i realize it comes down to personal taste, but scooters trying to look like a motorcycle just sort of defeats the purpose for me.
I've always felt that the first widely successful electric scooter would have to look unique—not like a motorcycle and different from other scooters. That's why I was keen on the KLD scoots, though I think they're pretty much vaporware at this point.

I didn't get to test ride the VX-2! They weren't doing test rides on Saturday. Maybe next time.

I know many people—including a handful of vintage owners—who have ridden the VX-1 and love it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

un_designer wrote: did whoever had one let you test ride it? i can't get over the pseudo-motorcycle look of some scooters, Vectrix included. i realize it comes down to personal taste, but scooters trying to look like a motorcycle just sort of defeats the purpose for me.
I think the idea behind the full fairing scoot look of electric scooters is to reduce wind turbulence and squeeze out as much distance and speed as possible out of the electric drive-train. The "Retro" or "Classic" design is very unaerodynamic. When trying to create a vehicle designed around efficiency, putting it in a nice smooth aerodynamically stable package makes a lot more sense to the engineers. People who these vehicles are targeted towards will adapt a lot more readily than style purists. That's my take on it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
un_designer wrote:

I've always felt that the first widely successful electric scooter would have to look unique—not like a motorcycle and different from other scooters. That's why I was keen on the KLD scoots, though I think they're pretty much vaporware at this point.

I didn't get to test ride the VX-2! They weren't doing test rides on Saturday. Maybe next time.

I know many people—including a handful of vintage owners—who have ridden the VX-1 and love it.
I've ridden the original Vectrix, and it was honestly a very nice ride. I'd never own one, as it didn't fit my style and was far too expensive, but they're great bikes.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

ericalm wrote:
un_designer wrote:

perhaps, i don't know. my personal impression of scooter riders is that they're a little different from the typical hybrid/green-as-a-status car buyers though, in that the look-at-me attitude is more for mods and unique visual flair and less so with efficiency, since efficiency is already a given.

while i would like to see a 200mpg scooter just because it would just sound so awesome, i would actually rather see the efficiency of tiny city-cars like the smart, the iQ, and the MieV get closer to 70+ mpg instead of their dismal mid 30s. i think that might actually create more of a revolution and get people out of their gas guzzlers.... of course i say this having just bought a 230hp turbocharged awd gas guzzler... so forgive me. :P
Vic

Post by Vic »

un_designer wrote:while i would like to see a 200mpg scooter just because it would just sound so awesome, i would actually rather see the efficiency of tiny city-cars like the smart, the iQ, and the MieV get closer to 70+ mpg instead of their dismal mid 30s. i think that might actually create more of a revolution and get people out of their gas guzzlers.... of course i say this having just bought a 230hp turbocharged awd gas guzzler... so forgive me. :P
I am not your average urban dwelling American, although my country home is being encroached on more and more every day and soon I will likely find myself smack dab in the middle of a city...

Anyway, I travel about 30 miles one way to get to work. To go to the store I have to travel on a very busy road with several blind curves, I will not even ride my bicycle on this road (sidewalks are not available either, forget about bike paths). I need a vehicle that I can depend on to be able to go about 75 miles in a day-without needing to be recharged or whatever. My work does not allow us to have fans at our desk unless they are battery powered (and we provide the batteries) because it is using the company's resources for non business purposes. There is no way that they will let me plug in a battery for the commute home!

The ideal vehicle for me would be one that seats: 1 comfortably, 2 adequately and 3 legally if needed (I have 2 kids), can go 75 miles between recharging/refueling-at about 55mph, has a heater, can reasonably handle bad roads, and is affordable to buy and insure.

I wish there were some barebones vehicles out there that meet all of these requirements, I don't need a bunch of whiz-bang doo-dads to jack up the price either, but something reliable that will not cost me an arm and a leg to maintain.

So, I got a scooter that meets enough of those requirements, most of the time.

-v
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Vic wrote:
un_designer wrote:while i would like to see a 200mpg scooter just because it would just sound so awesome, i would actually rather see the efficiency of tiny city-cars like the smart, the iQ, and the MieV get closer to 70+ mpg instead of their dismal mid 30s. i think that might actually create more of a revolution and get people out of their gas guzzlers.... of course i say this having just bought a 230hp turbocharged awd gas guzzler... so forgive me. :P
I am not your average urban dwelling American, although my country home is being encroached on more and more every day and soon I will likely find myself smack dab in the middle of a city...

Anyway, I travel about 30 miles one way to get to work. To go to the store I have to travel on a very busy road with several blind curves, I will not even ride my bicycle on this road (sidewalks are not available either, forget about bike paths). I need a vehicle that I can depend on to be able to go about 75 miles in a day-without needing to be recharged or whatever. My work does not allow us to have fans at our desk unless they are battery powered (and we provide the batteries) because it is using the company's resources for non business purposes. There is no way that they will let me plug in a battery for the commute home!

The ideal vehicle for me would be one that seats: 1 comfortably, 2 adequately and 3 legally if needed (I have 2 kids), can go 75 miles between recharging/refueling-at about 55mph, has a heater, can reasonably handle bad roads, and is affordable to buy and insure.

I wish there were some barebones vehicles out there that meet all of these requirements, I don't need a bunch of whiz-bang doo-dads to jack up the price either, but something reliable that will not cost me an arm and a leg to maintain.

-v
Nothing like that exists at this point, but I hope that will change in the future.

The Tata Nano for sale in India seems interesting, except it still has a lot of version-1 issues and isn't available in the U.S.

The iMiEV from Mitsubishi looks interesting. I think they're doing some limited testing in the U.S. right now but no words of availability here yet.

The recently released Scion iQ and Daimler's Smart are bleh imo. Mid 30's mpg in such a tiny car seems ridiculously low.

And then there are words of Hyundai working on a Tata Nano competitor http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/rend ... or-cometh/. At the rate that Hyundai is pulling their entire lineup into relevance, it should be interesting to see what their entry is going to look like.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Looks like a SYM Mio to me: http://www.justgottascoot.com/symmio.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:

Looks like a SYM Mio to me: http://www.justgottascoot.com/symmio.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
True. They're all pretty similar…

Yogos:

Vino:

Mio:
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Looks like the typical Chinese scooter.

Flyscooter Pico
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
tshall

Post by tshall »

I have high hopes for the forthcoming Nissan Leaf - 100 miles on a 23kWh battery pack, which should cost about $2 to recharge around here. Cost competitive with the Prius, although that's still not cheap.
Vic wrote: I need a vehicle that I can depend on to be able to go about 75 miles in a day-without needing to be recharged or whatever. My work does not allow us to have fans at our desk unless they are battery powered (and we provide the batteries) because it is using the company's resources for non business purposes. There is no way that they will let me plug in a battery for the commute home!

-v