2009 Avacado Stella without whitewalls?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

2009 Avacado Stella without whitewalls?

Post by Anachronism »

So... For some reason, my 2009 Avacado Stella came without whitewall tires. I remember asking the dealership about it, they said they didn't know why it didn't come out of the crate with the advertised whitewalls.

Anybody hear of this? Not a big deal, but I'm curious.
Valves are for wussies.
bcarter

Post by bcarter »

I didn't know that any of them came stock with whitewalls. My black '09 didn't come with whitewalls.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

my bet is that some one wanted whit walls on a color that didnt have white walls and they swaped them out
only certain colors come with white walls
red black and orange came with black walls
advacado and the babay blue came with white walls
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
clarkw

Post by clarkw »

My '09 avocado Stella also came without whitewalls, and when I asked they said Genuine stopped sending them like that - they didn't know why.

I like the look without the whitewalls anyway...
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I don't mind the look at all, looks less flamboyant and more utilitarian without.

I was just wondering if anybody else experienced this. Looks like at least 1 person has...
Valves are for wussies.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Yup, no whitewalls on mine either.
Clearly.
ericz
Dealer

Stella

Post by ericz »

All of our 2009 Avocado Stella were received with Black walls.
Eric Z
Ducati Seattle
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Anybody know why?
Valves are for wussies.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

My understanding was that they replaced the white walled Shino tires (which generally had very bad reviews) with a better tire that has more grip/longer wear and better reviews.

I could be wrong. It could also have been a supply issue. I just seem to recall hearing about the tire change from my local shop as an "upgrade".
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

i used to have the italia buddy and i must say that i like the look without whitewalled tires better. when i bought the avocado stella, my dealer just said they weren't doing white-walls any longer.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i would have to say the stock white walls that came on my 08 were good for shit the back was bald with less the 4000 miles
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Some of the shinko white walls were an eighth of an inch to wide so the sidewalls of the shock side would rub the shock mount on the motor. I think genuine made a mid year change of the tire supplier and solved the problem. So some built before the change would have the shinkos ones built after went back to continentals or something like that. Also early on when the factory solved the labor strike, the spark plugs were the wrong ones, so the piston would slap the top of the plug. Both were put out in service bulletins from genuine to dealers.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I think it's just to make it look more like some kind of military surplus scooter, schweet! :P
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

jmkjr72 wrote:i would have to say the stock white walls that came on my 08 were good for shit the back was bald with less the 4000 miles
Are you rotating your tires? Have 6000 miles on my original whitewalls and they still have a few miles left on them.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i didnt think i would need to do anything with them at less then 4000 miles
but yes i rotated the bald bad boy out to the spare location
you got to remeber that i only had 2 months of scooting on olive before the wreck
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

tbonestone wrote:Some of the shinko white walls were an eighth of an inch to wide so the sidewalls of the shock side would rub the shock mount on the motor. I think genuine made a mid year change of the tire supplier and solved the problem. So some built before the change would have the shinkos ones built after went back to continentals or something like that. Also early on when the factory solved the labor strike, the spark plugs were the wrong ones, so the piston would slap the top of the plug. Both were put out in service bulletins from genuine to dealers.
Yes, I bought Shtinko whitewalls for my '05 a few years ago. The rubbing on the back wheel caused a groove that ate through the white. So it ended up being a whitewall with a black stripe in the middle of it.

I'll never do whitewalls again. It only looks good when you first put them on.