any plans for your new Stella 4-stroke

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Len

any plans for your new Stella 4-stroke

Post by Len »

I am sure many of you are planning to purchase the New Stella 4-stroke when it arrives in dealers. I know I am !

In anticipation of this new scooter I am wondering how any of you are planning to upgrade it in terms of performance. Share your ideas. What do you know that we can do? ie the Carb is an 18mm carb- very restricted so as to get past the emissions testing and get great fuel milage. But I am sure it limits the performance a lot. Can we put inn a 24mm carb? and if so how do you know what jets to use to optimize performance?

Are there any pipes on the market now that will fit? Any other ideas you may have would be appreciated.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well here is my paln skip the 4 stroke and keep running my 2 stroke

you may want to look for the lml europe fan sites as the 4 stroke star has been out for a bit they will know of any after market parts that are out there
but being its brand new and nothing up on the scooterworks site yet who knows what is out there for the 4 stroke

as for carb to find out your jetting you will have to do some plug chops
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Gonna pass on the 4T for now. Gonna hold my breath and hope for a 200cc or 250cc variant in a year or two. I can see one in my furture just not right now. Now if I didn't already have a Stella I would be torn and a couple test drives would be in order.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I've got one on order, and -- if my past patterns of scooter ownership hold true -- I won't be able to keep my hands off it. I've only had my Vespa LX150 a year and a half, but I've already done more mods on it than I can count.

I suspect you're right that breathing limitations are its main performance restriction, and that 18mm carb certainly sounds like a bottleneck (I had a 19mm carb on my 70cc-kitted Vino, for Pete's sake). Until a performance pipe is available, though, I'm not sure how much improvement you'll get from a bigger carb alone. Going TOO big on the carb bore can have a detrimental effect on performance -- rather than a positive one -- if the rest of the breathing system can't move enough air.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I just picked up a 2T so I am of no help, but I can say I saw a 4T at Metro Scooter this past weekend and it is a BEAUTIFUL machine. I hope you enjoy it muchly.
Clearly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

No plans for mine as of yet. The first additions will likely be cosmetic—maybe bars and so on—then new tires.

And then… well… we'll see what comes out for the engine.

I'm sure that by the time my warranty is up there will be a cylinder kit available for it. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm really hoping to get a 4T. White/cream color. Fingers are crossed. Lottery ticket bought. Right now I think it is just so dang pretty the way it is I haven't even considered mods. But when the time comes I'll probably do practical things first - front rack and rear rack so I can carry some stuff, maybe cowl protectors... nothing too rad at first. Maybe a couple of well placed decals...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
solarpos

Post by solarpos »

I'd like to think that it's no lottery and I will be getting one and hopefully sooner than later. I have an ancillotti waiting at the shop to replace the stock seat and will have them swap out the grips for black and the tires for Zippy 1's. I have LED's here at home for it plus a Light Knight. I am interested in finding out the need and possible ability to deblue and upjet, especially for 4500+ ft. As for chrome bits and protection, I think I'll sell off the spring fling package I was promised I will get with it and then see about adding a black rack or bars. (Blue model) Gotta go BNB.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Simply out of curiosity's sake, since you live in a state where 2T Stellas have been (are?) sold, what was it about the 4T Stella that attracted you over a 2T model Stella?

I'm not second-guessing you, but as a California resident, the 2T Stella is essentially a forbidden fruit, not so in the Evergreen State.
solarpos

Post by solarpos »

Many reasons. Eco, $$, torque, latest model jones, previous exp with 4 strokes and tough times with 2T (Lammy) color, warranty........I'm not in the oily slick/smelly 2T club. I understand the attraction and the fervor but I agree to disagree.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

solarpos wrote:but I agree to disagree.
?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Long discussion today with some folks about mods for the 4T Stellas. We're pretty sure there will be a pipe on the market before long. There will also probably be a cylinder kit eventually—mechanic's guessing it'll go up two a 180 or so with the engine's stroke.

The transmission on the 4T is almost exactly the same as the 2T and Vespa, so will probably take a performance clutch, selector, gears, etc.

I'm sure a lot of people will be digging around in there playing with the carb, jets, etc. before too long and coming up with some fairly low-impact options for tuning it.
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I'm really hoping to get a 4T. White/cream color.
Get a blue one! :P
I thought you were getting an Enfield?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Well in a perfect world I will have both!
I'm getting my Enfield first for practical reasons - need a highway capable bike for getaways up the coast (very practical indeed)... black w/ tan solo seat, bar end mirrors, rear rack for luggage or a pillion seat, black metal military saddlebags... not that I've given it much thought... :)

solarpos

Post by solarpos »

Ordered a blue one myself as well Eric. Oh and 80's style Stella badges all round!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I'm getting my Enfield first for practical reasons - need a highway capable bike for getaways up the coast (very practical indeed)... black w/ tan solo seat, bar end mirrors, rear rack for luggage or a pillion seat, black metal military saddlebags... not that I've given it much thought... :)
Wait, the Enfield is highway capable? :P
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Kaos wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote: Get a blue one! :P
Wait, the Enfield is highway capable? :P
Thats what I was thinking!

For more info hers is a RE blog. I met this guy at mods v. rockers in Ft. Lauderdale. Really nice guy I would suggest emailing any RE questions to him.

http://www.royalenfields.com/
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
maribell

Post by maribell »

Is Genuine still doing their Spring Fling accessory promo, and if so, does it count for a 4T Stella.
solarpos

Post by solarpos »

maribell wrote:Is Genuine still doing their Spring Fling accessory promo, and if so, does it count for a 4T Stella.
My Dealer says yes, but I have read others won't honor it, I'm not holding my breathe however. All in all if I get the pkg it will all be ebay'd to go towards TCO.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Kaos wrote: Wait, the Enfield is highway capable? :P
Thats what I was thinking!

For more info hers is a RE blog. I met this guy at mods v. rockers in Ft. Lauderdale. Really nice guy I would suggest emailing any RE questions to him.

http://www.royalenfields.com/
The new 2010 EFI engines are. Not the older ones. The EFI engines will cruise at 85 apparently, which is plenty fine for me (it's gonna be my first MC)

(Sorry don't meant to hijack the thread... back to Stella mod's talk everyone...)

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

solarpos wrote:Ordered a blue one myself as well Eric. Oh and 80's style Stella badges all round!
I wish! Scooter Central isn't making them anymore. I asked about them months ago. They had 3 left, one of which was damaged, and wanted $60 for the trio.

May have to get my own made somewhere.
solarpos

Post by solarpos »

ericalm wrote:
solarpos wrote:Ordered a blue one myself as well Eric. Oh and 80's style Stella badges all round!
I wish! Scooter Central isn't making them anymore. I asked about them months ago. They had 3 left, one of which was damaged, and wanted $60 for the trio.

May have to get my own made somewhere.
If it happens that I don't put them on the cowls I will PM you and let you know. I am getting mine from a Stella Speed kind soul for 10 apiece.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

what im doing on my 2 stroke
is having viynl cut in a font that i choose
that way there one of a kind
ill just be using the viynl as a mask (paint black first mask then repaint scoot)
or you could have it airbrushed on in just about any style you want
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Len

1 st thing

Post by Len »

ericalm wrote:Long discussion today with some folks about mods for the 4T Stellas. We're pretty sure there will be a pipe on the market before long. There will also probably be a cylinder kit eventually—mechanic's guessing it'll go up two a 180 or so with the engine's stroke.

The transmission on the 4T is almost exactly the same as the 2T and Vespa, so will probably take a performance clutch, selector, gears, etc.

I'm sure a lot of people will be digging around in there playing with the carb, jets, etc. before too long and coming up with some fairly low-impact options for tuning it.
First thing I want to know is how do I get rid of all the emissions crap on the bike?
lmyers

Re: 1 st thing

Post by lmyers »

Len wrote:First thing I want to know is how do I get rid of all the emissions crap on the bike?
Buy a 2T 8)
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Len

Re: 1 st thing

Post by Len »

lmyers wrote:
Len wrote:First thing I want to know is how do I get rid of all the emissions crap on the bike?
Buy a 2T 8)
(sorry, couldn't resist)
even the two stroke has emissions crap on it. To get them to pass the EPA CARB tests they have to restrict them considerably. smaller carbs, restricted pipe, lean jets etc. they are still restricted.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

its real easy to get past the smog stuff on a 2 stroke just get a diffrent pipe in fact i have a stock non cat pipe that i had on my 2 stroke

but belive it or not there wasnt much of a diffrence when i swaped that out over the smog pipe no increase in top speed you got there just a bit faster

all that had to be done was meet epa standards the 2 stroke was never carb (ca air resource board) aproved thats why you cant get a new one in ca
and to meed fedral basicly you jsut thorw a cat on the 2 stroke
and this is a very simple cat as there is no air injector to help burn the crap off like on the 50s and the 110

and as for jetting lean is good for power bad for reliabilty (lean you make more power then when you are rich)
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are a few emissions controls on the 4T that could easily be circumvented, including a thingymabob outside the gas tank.

There's also some type of vapor recovery system, but I haven't poked around in there yet. Bypassing this usually requires yanking a hose and leaving it yanked.

The air/fuel mix screw is made so it's very difficult to tamper with. This scoot runs lean and clean. I bet with bigger jets and a performance pipe, it'd probably still pass CARB. Theoretically. Maybe. :)
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ericalm wrote:There are a few emissions controls on the 4T that could easily be circumvented, including a thingymabob outside the gas tank.

There's also some type of vapor recovery system, but I haven't poked around in there yet. Bypassing this usually requires yanking a hose and leaving it yanked.

The air/fuel mix screw is made so it's very difficult to tamper with. This scoot runs lean and clean. I bet with bigger jets and a performance pipe, it'd probably still pass CARB. Theoretically. Maybe. :)
if its like most i have seen you need a small drill bit and drill into it enought to get a small hook tool (like a metal dental pick) under the cap and with a bit of work it will pop right out

that is after you paly the fun game where the f*&% is the a/f screw
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Lovelandstella

Re: any plans for your new Stella 4-stroke

Post by Lovelandstella »

I am getting one too!- see my introductory post here, if you like.

wow, this is long. Lemmie know if I'm not allowed to write longs ones like this in the future- sorry. :)

As far as plans for the new 4t Stella, obviously cosmetically – wait, that reminds me about “non-cosmetic plans”…

Regarding Performance upgrades to the Stella 4T: (I wasn’t sure if anyone had mentioned this – forgive me if someone posted the same guesstimation timeline)

Of course, I don’t want to void an awesome 2 year parts and labor warranty (from a company that would actually make good on its warranty)- in fact, I don’t imagine anyone would. Especially on a 1st of its kind, 1st production run scooter with a completely redesigned engine that I imagine even an authorized dealer/mechanic would be a little apprehensive to crack this thing open. [It should be an defendable fact that Genuine has put a lot more love and attention into this particular engine than perhaps on any other engine they've sold.]

And for that reason I don’t believe there will be a “Market” for NEW aftermarket performance parts for the 4t Stella until at least, May 2012, depending on the delivery date. So even though it’s possible that companies could certainly design and sell performance parts as soon as the 2010 is released or even later in that 1st year, the question is – who would buy them? and is that enough customers to warrant all that effort so soon? In any economy that would be a bad business idea- let alone in *this* economy.

And so, I predict, a realistic “release date” for 4t Stella performance parts would not be until May 2012 or later. Agree with me if you like, I’m not mad if you don’t. Just from a business standpoint… that’s all I’m saying. I could be wrong- wouldn't be the 1st time. :wink: Anyway, Hopefully those scooterists who don’t even look at a new scoot until it has performance parts will take this "theory" into consideration, And still give this beauty a chance!

Anyway- back to the changes I will make- or “what I will do with it once I get it” reg: my Stella 4T:

“As is”-it is pretty close to perfect if you ask me.
Ex: I like the brown seat and the hand grips the way they are. I would have always wanted to get brown accents anyway, even if they came in black, so the brown saved me money since I would have changed it to that anyway. I don’t want to say “classier”, because I am aware that implies that if it’s any other way –it is somehow- not- classy, and that is not accurate. There is plenty of ways to look swEEt, this particular way “just suits my tastes better.”

I even like the 5-point star hubcaps! I come from a mustang family and the star wheels are indicative as "GT" model. On Other cars/trucks/bikes/scoots they might mean nothing in particular, but to me - it means "special".
I just prefer it.

But I will change some things, here ya go…
On My 4t Stella - I was able to convince my dealer to include the spring fling package, impossible right? But here’s how I did it and you may agree it is a possible regrettable idea (ie: stupid on my part). I had to pay for the whole scooter up front, before the March 31st deadline. Now I had the money, as I had been saving it for a long time, (knowing “the idea” of what I wanted to get). And after all my research, I knew I was going to get a 4t Stella – so at the time it seemed like a “no-brainer.” But, the more I think about it, this could invariably come back and bite me, if, say, anything bad happens: genuine goes out of business, my dealer goes out of business, the boat carrying my scooter sinks, WWIII breaks out, I fall into a coma, or any other “not likely” but “certainly possible” scenarios. Oh well, my burden to bear, I suppose. I do still feel good about it, in a “don’t look down” kind of way.

I am curious if anyone else was able to talk their dealers into including the spring fling package (which was obviously designed to sell the Older models) on this New 4t Stella scooter, and how they were able to do it. (there must have been a better way than what I did…)

Once I get the package, I will do what appears to be a rare thing and keep it! The parts are awesome! It just might be a bit “much” for my particular 4t Stella, so I will dress my scooter in varying layers of accessories (different stages- if you will) probably over the course of the 1st year, starting with leaving it just the way it is. I never was a fan of the cowl protectors but if I get them for free I might be sold to keep them on. Then I can find which chromed version of the scoot I prefer and keep it that way, Selling the rest for cheap probably. (or keep until I change my mind down the road- I dunno)

Other things I will do:
• get my GPS mounted
• and find a good Transformers Autobots emblem, Example Here. (as a “latch-key kid”, Optimus Prime was like a father to me.)
• And get a sticker made to look like bomber plane art on the cover of the Refreshments CD (RCPM!)
- (Google it if you like) I wont put a link on this as some people might think it’s inappropriate. But my wife and I love the band and she thinks it'd be an awesome decal – like the bomber art on old planes, but also because we love that band!

And further down the line, but still in the 1st year, I will get some other things:
• a knight light or something similar
• an alarm or something similar
• and then ultimately a stereo system (I am not keen driving with “earbuds’ and I think it’s illegal in my state, anyway)

- oh yeah- also a few more mirrors. Not because I am wanting to pose as a "mod" from a movie I've never actually seen (but sure I'd love :D) but more so because I like to not only be seen but also to see. And I HATE turing my head away from what is in front of me. its like chopping wood with your eyes closed- it'll just lead to problems... :shock:

Other than that (as far as while I wait for it to get here and pass customs etc.): insurance, helmet, jacket. All the stuff I would have had already if I hadn’t taken a 10 year break from scootering… it’s good to be back! (or, it will be once my Red Stella 4T arrives!)

~Scotty (LovelandStella)
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Here's my plan and what I've bought for the pending 4T.

Knight Light activator

LED's for turns and brake/tail plus new flasher from superbrightleds.com

during dealer prep:

Ancillotti seat
Zippy 1's
black grips
black repro legshield trim

I'll probably swap out or paint my turnsignal frames to black

Might paint my center stand black

might try on some round legshield mirrors if they have black accents but only after doing the handlebar mirror brackets bend down ala Stellaspeed. I like my shoulders but I like the road behind me more....

Euro style P black framed Tail light (that stock TL box is enormous!)

let's see how loud the horn is and how noisy the turn indicators are, might have to tape that bad boy down

Rebadge to 80's style Stella badges, all 3( I think I found the last 3 left in the world!)
bdonay

Post by bdonay »

Anyone wanna swap some body parts?
Attachments
slate_creme stella.jpg
slate_creme stella.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

bdonay wrote:Anyone wanna swap some body parts?
Nice work on that image!
I think I will keep my red parts but I definitely want to see what some of you can come up with!
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

hey- did anybody hear Phil Mcaleb say that the old rear racks wont fit on the new 4t? I haven't been able to find anything on a new 4t only rear rack available anywhere... anybody hear any word on that?

I'd like a rear rack on mine, and now when I get the spring fling package- I guess that'll be at least one thing I will have to get rid of. :(
~Lovelandstella
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Lovelandstella wrote:hey- did anybody hear Phil Mcaleb say that the old rear racks wont fit on the new 4t? I haven't been able to find anything on a new 4t only rear rack available anywhere... anybody hear any word on that?

I'd like a rear rack on mine, and now when I get the spring fling package- I guess that'll be at least one thing I will have to get rid of. :(
I hope that isn't true. I bought a rear rack on sale from Scooterworks in anticipation of getting my new 4T. :cry:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

Is the battery mounted inside the spare tire? I'm trying to figure out how to wire up my battery tender...

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lovelandstella wrote:hey- did anybody hear Phil Mcaleb say that the old rear racks wont fit on the new 4t? I haven't been able to find anything on a new 4t only rear rack available anywhere... anybody hear any word on that?

I haven't heard that and don't know why that would be the case. If the old rear cowl guards fit, I don't know what could be different enough to prevent mounting a rack.
10gallonhat wrote:Is the battery mounted inside the spare tire? I'm trying to figure out how to wire up my battery tender...
Yes. You can wire up the pigtail and just keep it tucked in the wheel cover or put some kind of clip up in the cowl.
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

Thanks! I just ordered a Light Knight and was wondering if this will work in the automated parking ramps as well?

You know the ones that print the ticket as the car approaches. Is it the same technology? I want to park in the ramp at work, but when I tried to get past the gate on my Buddy it wouldn't recognize I was there.

There are motorcycles in the ramp everyday, so they are getting in somehow.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote: I haven't heard that and don't know why that would be the case.
No? it was on the most recent pod cast, here.
now if you don’t like podcasts – I am right there with you
they make about as much sense as text messaging- (I foresee 10 years from now both will be long gone and laughable.) Make a video or just type it out like an article, that’s what I say.

But anyway this pod cast is actually not that bad, considering you cannot: go forward or reverse, see the people talking, read what they are saying so you can follow along easier, skip to just the part you want to listen to, or even know how long the whole darn thing is in the 1st place (I think it was 20-30 minutes, much longer than I anticipated).

PLUS- Modern Buddy members… Philip McCaleb could not stop talking about us! (not me so much I’m am still really new) but he Loves you guys! Eric he mentioned you and several others by name (or username) several times, he wants to meet you all, he thinks you are awesome- he recommends everyone that can hear his voice to come join Modern Buddy- he really could not stop saying good things about Modern Buddy. you all should hear it, it’s very nice to hear. Plus he mentioned other cool things – like the Over 200cc next scooter for Genuine, the huge moped ride in Wisconsin? Just this weekend, and something about some undercover Actor movie research going on, possibly right here… very interesting stuff. but only barely interesting enough to be worth listening to a Pod Cast [shudders]
ericalm wrote:If the old rear cowl guards fit, I don't know what could be different enough to prevent mounting a rack.
Anyway – in regards to the Rear rack not fitting on the new 4T, He was saying that it was something to do with the mounting plate for the rear rack (not all rear racks I imagine, but some of them).
http://www.scooterworks.com/images/pdf/RRG1-C.pdf

in the bottom right corner- see that little plate part that bolts on to the tank area under the seat? That’s what he’s talking about, I believe,.
Apparently the under the seat area on the 4T is a little different than the under seat area of the 2T

He said that their solution was just to make a *new* rear rack that mounts to the stella in a different way
This explains the Genuine website comment :
Genuine Website wrote: She still has a full line of bolt-on accessories to protect her, including some new ones!!
So it appears it not about the outside doesn’t fit- because the outside appears to be the same size- it’s that the inside is a little different and this rear rack interferes with that little bit of different inside area… Other than that – Phil says – all the other bolt on accessories are 100% compatable.

and thus, my original question (reg: that new rear rack only for the 4t- "does anybody know about it- where? how much?") is probably moot since most didn't know about it in the 1st place.

however - if someone finds out (myself included)- please let us all know- because I'd wager that not all, but alot of us that are getting a 4T also wanted a rear rack of some kind.

later!
~Lovelandstella
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Lovelandstella wrote:hey- did anybody hear Phil Mcaleb say that the old rear racks wont fit on the new 4t? I haven't been able to find anything on a new 4t only rear rack available anywhere... anybody hear any word on that?(
I haven't heard anything but I am sure that, as when the Buddy was first introduced, rear racks will be available in two weeks!

Oh I crack me up! :rofl:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lovelandstella wrote:PLUS- Modern Buddy members… Philip McCaleb could not stop talking about us! (not me so much I’m am still really new) but he Loves you guys! Eric he mentioned you and several others by name (or username) several times, he wants to meet you all, he thinks you are awesome- he recommends everyone that can hear his voice to come join Modern Buddy- he really could not stop saying good things about Modern Buddy. you all should hear it, it’s very nice to hear. Plus he mentioned other cool things – like the Over 200cc next scooter for Genuine, the huge moped ride in Wisconsin? Just this weekend, and something about some undercover Actor movie research going on, possibly right here… very interesting stuff. but only barely interesting enough to be worth listening to a Pod Cast [shudders]
Aww, I feel special now. Phil knows who I am :)
Not a bad props for MB, if I do say so :)
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

I have a deposit on a Cream colored Stella 4T. Anyone know when these things will finally arrive? Anyway, the first thing I'm going to do is take off the front reflectors. After that everything else becomes an option when I'm secure enough with how the machine is put together and how I can take it apart. I'd like to switch out the speedometer and the tail light for something more retro - parts I've seen for sale already. I also would like to replace the horn cover with something more sleek and less boxy. That's a part I have NOT seen yet.

I am also considering the yellow model as well. Still trying to decide if it looks unique and cool or like a school bus/ steam shovel. If I stay with the cream I'd probably be interested in trading parts like the cowls, horn, and mudguard. If I move to the yellow I'd probably love to trade the brown seat and grips with black ones.

PS, anyone know if this will fit the mudguard off the bat? http://www.sip-scootershop.com/Products ... tails.aspx
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Lovelandstella wrote: Anyway – in regards to the Rear rack not fitting on the new 4T, He was saying that it was something to do with the mounting plate for the rear rack (not all rear racks I imagine, but some of them).
Hmm, based on that pdf file, it looks like it might not be too hard to fabricate some sort of adapter plate.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
bdonay

Post by bdonay »

Been talking about the delivery date with my dealer for a while now. The dealers apparently received notification that Genuine will get shipment towards the end of May. Whether this means Genuine will get them in late May and then have to ship them out to dealers or the dealers will get the shipment directly is up for debate. My dealer tells me to count on the later to be true. I'm not expecting to get my bike before June. :cry:
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Silver Streak wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote: Anyway – in regards to the Rear rack not fitting on the new 4T, He was saying that it was something to do with the mounting plate for the rear rack (not all rear racks I imagine, but some of them).
Hmm, based on that pdf file, it looks like it might not be too hard to fabricate some sort of adapter plate.
Maybe! if it'll save money I'm all for it! (considering I basically already bought one that doesn't fit :cry:)

I found a photo of the new 4T under seat view for help with that if anyone wants a head start:
or if you were curious about what is different- it looks like where the old one is flat from the bolts to the tank entrance- it appears this has a lip of an inch or so? raising the whole tank - perhaps giving more fuel/oil space? seperate of course :D

it's hard to see - but the bolts I am referring to are the silver circle at the bottom and the other bolt is actually that silver rectangle just to it;s left. that bold has a silver clip on it holdinhg the wire/tube in place (that's why you see it as a rectangle).
now that other thicker wire/tube... I don't know what that is! but we may want to find out cuz it's kinda in the way of our "work around".
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Lovelandstella
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Actually -- comparing that pic to the pdf drawing -- it appears that the raised top of the gas tank is out of the way of the attachment plate, and -- other than that -- the only difference is the apparent absence of a seat latch and that mystery apparatus with the tubes that is in the way.

That apparatus looks like it could be some sort of evaporative emissions control device tacked on to meet CARB, as one of the hoses goes into the tank. Looks to me like it might be possible to re-mount the apparatus on top of the mounting plate for the rack by simply drilling a couple of holes, assuming there is enough clearance under the seat to accommodate the additional thickness of the plate. I suspect that the thinner line that goes under the clip on the bolt and down through the left grommet is actually the fuel level sender cable.

EDIT -- I was just comparing the pic above to this video of the European 4T LML Star posted in an earlier thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maz5amn- ... re=related
As I suspected, the mystery apparatus is not on the Euro version... so it is almost assuredly an afterthought evap control device. The seat latch is there on the Euro model, though. I suspect the relocation of the latch hadn't been worked out on that blue prototype. Doesn't look like it would be too hard to come up with a work-around.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Lovelandstella wrote:hey- did anybody hear Philip McCaleb say that the old rear racks wont fit on the new 4t? I haven't been able to find anything on a new 4t only rear rack available anywhere... anybody hear any word on that?...
ahh vindication! (I was afraifd I heard it wrong)
- here is a little article where "nycscootering" typed up the bullet points for the most recent pod cast with Philip McCaleb, (you can listen to it here. )
and now read it here:
http://www.nycscootering.com/2010/04/20 ... ses-mouth/
kinda nice to see it all typed out in bullet format. (though it's missing all the pride for this forum- as we were mentioned quite a bit!)
~Lovelandstella
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lovelandstella wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:hey- did anybody hear Philip McCaleb say that the old rear racks wont fit on the new 4t? I haven't been able to find anything on a new 4t only rear rack available anywhere... anybody hear any word on that?...
ahh vindication! (I was afraifd I heard it wrong)
- here is a little article where "nycscootering" typed up the bullet points for the most recent pod cast with Philip McCaleb, (you can listen to it here. )
and now read it here:
http://www.nycscootering.com/2010/04/20 ... ses-mouth/
kinda nice to see it all typed out in bullet format. (though it's missing all the pride for this forum- as we were mentioned quite a bit!)
They missed the whole Voodoo part of the podcast though :P
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Kaos wrote:They missed the whole Voodoo part of the podcast though :P
Yeah! that was like half the podcast- he is really into that stuff!
~Lovelandstella
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lovelandstella wrote:
Kaos wrote:They missed the whole Voodoo part of the podcast though :P
Yeah! that was like half the podcast- he is really into that stuff!
I know, it was awesome. I feel like its my birthday or something being mentioned by the owner of Genuine on some obscure podcast that probably only 50 people listen to :P
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

The fame of Voodoo Buddy (and ModernBuddy.com) has spread beyond 50 people. The weekly average for JustGottaScoot podcasts is about 1,000 downloads. That typically means about 3,000 listeners (1000 downloads and 2000 listen without downloading the file). The history of the Genuine and Scooterworks podcasts has been much better than average with as many as 10,000 listeners over the course of 6 - 8 weeks.

I heard that 8" X 10" autographed glossy Voodoo photos were available on ModernBuddy for fans to purchase....