Sito+ review- BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

Sito+ review- BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY

Post by Anachronism »

It finally got warm enough here for me to want to bother putting on the Sito+ exhaust I've had lying around. My subject pretty much says it all if you don't want to read the full review.

First off, the Sito+ looks similar to a stock exhaust piece. Stamped out of sheetmetal, painted black with high temp paint, same general shape. It you are looking for something chrome and showy, this is not your exhaust.

Contruction quality looks good, but not quite great. Quality is around the stock piece, which means welds are functional but ugly.

Compared with the stock piece, you can start to see where the power increases come from. First, the headpipe tubing is a larger diameter. Second, it omits the catalyst. Third, the muffler size is a bit larger than stock.

Installation was a bit harder than I realized it would be, but the big part of that is I thought it would be a 5 minute affair. The main issue is that there is almost but not quite enough clearance to get the support bolt for the muffler off with the back wheel in place- missed it by about 1/4". Compounding the issue for me is that I was not expecting to need to jack up the bike to remove the wheel, so everything got a bit tougher to get the wheel off.

In a nutshell, this is what you need to do to switch exhausts.

1. Remove both cowls.
2. Remove spare tire.
3. Jack up the rear of the bike to a level sufficient to remove the rear tire.
4. Remove the tire.
5. Loosen the exhaust pipe clamp.
6. Remove the support bolt and remove the stock exhaust.
7. Put the Sito+ exhaust in place, making sure the headpipe has slipped over the engine exhaust pipe while threading the support bolt.
8. Tighten the exhaust pipe clamp.
9. Install rear wheel
10. Install spare
11. Test drive and plug chops/jet changes to tune.

It is about 1 hour of work to do, and needs nothing more than a few metric wrenches (13 and 17 mm).

Out of the box, the support bracket on the sito+ was a little too tight to fix the frame mount. I had to give it a couple whacks with a deadblow hammer to widen the bracket so it would fit over the crossmember- very minor adjustment. Otherwise the fit was perfect.

Performance wise, this thing is nuts. Currently I have no other modifications done to my Stella.

Torque is increased all over the powerband, and the scooter has a much higher rpm range. Around the rpm point where power used to fall off, it is still pulling harder! The scooter is still docile and well mannered off of idle, but simply has a lot more grunt all over. Lots and lots of fun to ride. I haven't done a top speed run, but it hit 50 mph MUCH, MUCH easier than it used to.

Sound wise, it sounds slightly louder, and the tone is definitely more agressive. The putts you here on a stock muffler turn into pops and crackles- not to an annoying level, but just enough to tell you that it has some more attitude. I can't see people complaining about noise with this one.

Finally, I believe the scoot is putting off more smoke, and definitely more scent than it used to, probably because of the cat removal. IF this bothers you, take note. I may consider buying some of the scented injection oil now. :)

To sum it up, this pipe is an awesome, awesome deal, and gets you a healthy performance increase. DO IT. BUY IT NOW.

:)
Valves are for wussies.
bcarter

Post by bcarter »

Couldn't agree more! But I'd like to add just one thing. An even cheaper upgrade that pairs really well with the sito+ is a piagio px150 air filter. This has courser mesh than the stella deblued filter, and has two holes drilled over the main and idle stacks. Upjet the idle to a 55/160 and it is perfect. Fool around a bit with the main stack but I have mine at 160/BE3/112. A selection of jets to fool around with and the filter was under $50 and it is a nice addition to the sito+. I don't get much higher speed, but I can accelerate a lot faster and plug chops look real good.
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

Nice write up. The only thing I would add is that the rear tire can be deflated to make enough clearance to remove the bolt.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

+1 on the flattening of the rear tire and the Piaggio filter!
bcarter

Post by bcarter »

This is the filter I am using now and I'd be interested to hear how it compares to your p200 filter. I've heard a lot of people on stellaspeed talk about the p200 filter and when I ordered this, that's what I thought I was ordering. The brown mesh filter is MUCH coarser than what I had on the stella (I mean, the mesh underneath the blue), and there are the two holes drilled over the jet stacks.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... ers/131083

I worried about jetting this because I couldn't find anyone on stellaspeed with the same setup. It was obviously letting in a lot more air than a drilled/deblued stella filter, and it seems to be very different from the p200 filter too. Obviously it is different because I am using a 112 main jet when a lot of the p200 filters are getting a 100-105 main jet.

Has anyone here used this filter? If so, what main jet are you using?
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

You should take a look at stellastats.com IT lists a lot of configurations at different elevations.
Baldjohn

Post by Baldjohn »

bcarter wrote:Upjet the idle to a 55/160 and the main stack to 160/BE3/112 +/- .
Amen.
Baldjohn

Post by Baldjohn »

bcarter wrote:I worried about jetting this because I couldn't find anyone on stellaspeed with the same setup.
Search for Bald John Jetting.

If you have a Stella with a 20/20 stock carb and a P200 air filter, the idle jet, Air Corrector, and mixer will all stay the same no matter whether you are only running a Sito+ pipe with a stock motor or everything is built up to a 189cc stroker motor with a 226 Vintage pipe. The only thing that will change is your main jet once you upjet to these jets. How's that for taking the mystery out of jetting a 2-stroke Stella stock carb.

P.S. Yes. The stock 20/20 carb will work great with even the most extreme engine mods.