Its Alive!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Its Alive!!!

Post by Stormswift »

Well, I put the battery back in. My buddy is still in my basement (waiting for snow to melt more before rolling it out) but the battery is in. So I turned it around, tail end sticking out of the basement door and put key into ignition with a little prayer. It coughed. It splattered. It did not look like it was planning on doing anything. I turned off ignition and waited for couple of minuted. Then I gave it another try. It started. It ran. Its OK!!!!! This is the first winter for me , taking battery out, winterizing the scooter with Seafoam. Now all I have to do is 1) get it up the little hill, 2) secure it so it is not stolen 3)pass that riding test end of the month 4) enjoy the riding weather. I am so envious of folks that are out and about riding. The weather in our area has been wonderful.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I had the same sort of experience last spring. Although I had used stabil and not started it at all for 3 1/2 months so it really didn't want to start and when I finally got it started it didn't want to stay running. Luckily with a little bit of proding it finally got going and I was so releaved :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
brape

Post by brape »

My scooter has a hard time with the cold. It doesn't want to stay running until the engine is thoroughly warmed up.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

mine too, if its below 30 degrees I have to let the scoot warm up for at least 15 minutes before I take off or it will stall for sure.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

dang if the 4 strokes dont like the cold that realy sucks both my zuma and stella i let warm up for about 5 minutes in the 20 deg temps and away i go with out any issues
the stella you put the choke on rev her with the choke on a few times then take it off and your good to go
the zuma it takes about 5 minutes for the autochoke to kick off
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Congratulations on bringing your Buddy back to life. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. Even though I have winterized my Buddys before, it is always reassuring to hear them wake up from their winter hibernation.

The weather was nice enough to have an enjoyable ride on both Saturday and Sunday. These rides prompted me to order my GEN-U-BIN last night which means no more spilled coffee in my front storage bin. I received a confirmation that my GEN-U-BIN will ship today so by this weekend my Buddy will have a real cup holder.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Brought my Stella out of winter hibernation this weekend too. She signaled to the rest of the world that she was alive and kicking by smoking like a big dog for about the first 5-10 minutes. Fogging the motor before winter hibernation always makes for a smokey startup in the spring. Now I just need to burn out the old gas and let it warm up a little by more before I install my new sito+, air cleaner and rejet the motor. I love Spring!
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Greetings from New England, home of the never ending winter.

Sorry to hear you missed riding these last three days...weren't they grand? Because weather like this can sneak up out of nowhere (and disappear just as fast) I don't bother winterizing my scoots. I just change the oil, fill up the tank, put in some Seafoam and roll them into the garage when I know that winter is really coming on. Then I just go out and start them up every 10 days or so and let them run for awhile. That way they're as ready as I am when we get that first little taste of spring.
brape

Post by brape »

Neverending winter? It was in the 50s the past 3 days :-P