Buddy big bore

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bendbuddy

Buddy big bore

Post by bendbuddy »

For those of you who have added the bolt-on 161 kit, have you been satisfied with the performance jump? I've saved the money, but want to make sure it's worth the parts and shop labor pricetag.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I couldn't tell you if it's worth the money you are going to pay but it was worth it for me :lol:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yeah its worth it, but not as your first mod... There are a LOT of other things you should do first before you do the big bore, or you likely won't be very satisfied with it.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

I'm also interested in the 161 kit. What else is required for the install? Does it really bolt on ?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

toycoma98 wrote:I'm also interested in the 161 kit. What else is required for the install? Does it really bolt on ?
Technically everything does. This is not a beginners mod, nor should it be attempted by someone who doesn't understand carb tuning. Not speaking at you directly, just generally. :wink:
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

ScooterTrash wrote:
toycoma98 wrote:I'm also interested in the 161 kit. What else is required for the install? Does it really bolt on ?
Technically everything does. This is not a beginners mod, nor should it be attempted by someone who doesn't understand carb tuning. Not speaking at you directly, just generally. :wink:
I agree. I PMed kaos and he said the same thing.

I installed a big bore kit on my pocket bike :P I could probably do it to my Metro.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Several people who've put the 183 on the 150s have said that you only get a good boost if you also install the bigger head. Is this also the case for the 125s? That's another $100 in parts and a chunk of labor.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

ericalm wrote:Several people who've put the 183 on the 150s have said that you only get a good boost if you also install the bigger head. Is this also the case for the 125s? That's another $100 in parts and a chunk of labor.
Bigger head is always better, Labor wouldn't cost any more if you got it done at the same time. Unless your mechanic try's to screw you. :wink:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:Several people who've put the 183 on the 150s have said that you only get a good boost if you also install the bigger head. Is this also the case for the 125s? That's another $100 in parts and a chunk of labor.
Yep, thats absolutely true. And then you need to install bigger jets, and none of that helps much if your CVT is stock.... Its a vicious cycle ;)
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

My stock head is getting port and polished. Is the NCY big valve head worth it? Or port polishing the stock is good enough for the 58.5mm big bore?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

toycoma98 wrote:My stock head is getting port and polished. Is the NCY big valve head worth it? Or port polishing the stock is good enough for the 58.5mm big bore?
I ran a ported and polished stock head for a long time with great results. That being said, I just installed a big valve ported polished shaved head and it was a HUGE increase in power over the worked over stock head,