cowl release lever stuck

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

verdecalavera

cowl release lever stuck

Post by verdecalavera »

I took off my right cowl this afternoon to adjust the idle. when i went to put the cowl back on, i couldn't turn the cowl release lever back into place to lock the cowl down. I could only turn it about 90 degrees from the fully unlocked position. trying to turn it beyond there it meets a lot of resistance to the point where i was afraid to turn it further for fear of breaking it. anyone else had this problem or better yet have a solution? thanks in advance.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

the only time i have ever had that issue i didnt have the cowel seated right i took the cowel off and put it on angain and it went on
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

the release lever should pivot whether the cowl is on or not. unfortunately mine doesn't. so something has either come apart or come out of register. for now, i'm riding cowl-less.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

There's not much to the lever... so it sounds like it's just got attitude and needs an adjustment. When mine does that, I wiggle the clip at the base that holds the cowl while moving the lever and it usually frees up. It also helps if you blast it with some WD40 top and bottom.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

well I finally figured out that the release lever was defective. new one on the way.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Good to hear it was that and not something bad! You'll be up and running with a fresh one in no time then :D Just in time for the riding season!
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com