Im in.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dwayneed

Im in.

Post by dwayneed »

Bought a red 2009 2T Stella today. Woot!
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Hello Dwayneed,

Congrats on your new Scoot.
Best of luck with it and ride safe.

Cheers.
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Had a great first ride, roughly 60 miles of winding country roads. Very different ride compared to my Buddy. I can't quite put my finger on it...
IM2Scary

Pic???

Post by IM2Scary »

Get a pic up already!!!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

The ride is less refined, but the fun of banging gears is pretty awesome.
Valves are for wussies.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Congrats on the new ride! I've had mine about 2 weeks now and know what you mean about the handling - different but hard to define. I do love how the Stella drops into turns.
Clearly.
dwayneed

Re: Pic???

Post by dwayneed »

IM2Scary wrote:Get a pic up already!!!
So far it is stock, once I put some bling on it I will put a pic or two up... :)
ericz
Dealer

congrats

Post by ericz »

Congrats. You are one of us now!!!
Eric Z
Ducati Seattle
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Well it seems that I am not immune to the 'new Stella' syndrome. Just take the scoot off the truck after it's first service and no headlight. Do some checking and 2 of the wires on the high low switch are broken. Trying to work with that high/low switch sucks! Bringing it back Wednesday for some fixin'...
Other than that I added a Sito+ exhaust, what an immediate and non obnoxious difference! Great way to put $100 bucks into a Stella!
Closing in on 400 miles and loving it. Hopefully the headlight issue is an isolated one..
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I put all the wires running from the switch through one of those shrink thingies and that took care of the headlight issue. Now my taillight and turn signals have a short, but it usually only happens at night :roll:
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Hello Dwayneed,

Yep my headlight wiring went at about 400 mile mark.
!/2 hour in the switch and it was fixed, for now anyway.
Next was inconsistant running at 500 mile mark pushed
sparkplug cap on tighter and all was good again.
I'm expecting fuel gage problems, but none yet.

72mpg @ the 550 mile mark, thats sweet. :wink:

Cheers.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

lmyers wrote:I put all the wires running from the switch through one of those shrink thingies and that took care of the headlight issue. Now my taillight and turn signals have a short, but it usually only happens at night :roll:
with the taillight and turn signals it may not be a short but the piss por plastic sockets that they used
i had an issue with my stock taillight and i installed standard metal automotive bulb sockets beacuse the plastic allows the bulb to move and loose contact

now i dont have to worry about it at all with custom lights in the rear
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

Congrats on your new Stella! Like many others here, I'm always tinkering (fixing) something small on my Stella, it keeps me busy. Oh and throw a sito+ and upjet asap, you'll love it even more.
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Make sure you give a hello over at stellaspeed.com, loads of help for those little things that always seem to pop up.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

400 miles in ten days is pretty rocking. When I saw you mention the Sito, I was thinking "better break it in first," then I saw that you had.

Glad you like it, and glad you have experienced the fun of "hey, what minor thing just stopped working on my Stella?"

I have no idea how much gas I have in mine right now. :)
Valves are for wussies.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

When you say that you "can't put your finger on it", and "it" being the difference in feel.... Here's a helpful idea on what to do with that finger instead;

keep it on the clutch lever at all times. Keeping a finger or two on the clutch can save your motor, because WHEN (not if) your motor seizes, you have about 1/2 a second to pull the clutch, or your back wheel is going to lock up, and you're going to high side. And pulling in the clutch immediately will hopefully stop your top end from moving, and those thousands of little peices of piston ring, wrist pin and/or crank will be less likely to tear up your cylinder wall.

I know a lot of people disconnect the kill switch on a Stella, because they short out. I think that's a bad idea. If yours breaks, replace it with a italian part, not LML. Being able to cut your motor in a seizure situation can save you hundreds of dollars and a lot of time.
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

JSharpPhoto wrote:When you say that you "can't put your finger on it", and "it" being the difference in feel.... Here's a helpful idea on what to do with that finger instead;

keep it on the clutch lever at all times. Keeping a finger or two on the clutch can save your motor, because WHEN (not if) your motor seizes, you have about 1/2 a second to pull the clutch, or your back wheel is going to lock up, and you're going to high side. And pulling in the clutch immediately will hopefully stop your top end from moving, and those thousands of little peices of piston ring, wrist pin and/or crank will be less likely to tear up your cylinder wall.

I know a lot of people disconnect the kill switch on a Stella, because they short out. I think that's a bad idea. If yours breaks, replace it with a italian part, not LML. Being able to cut your motor in a seizure situation can save you hundreds of dollars and a lot of time.
"When" is not too encouraging. I do not plan on disconnecting the kill switch but good advice on the clutch nevertheless. Let's hope that WHEN it happens I don't get hurt! :shock: