Gas Gauge

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dan Buddy

Gas Gauge

Post by Dan Buddy »

So if your gas gauge goes out how do you tell if its the sender in the tank or a wiring issue?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Odds are, it's the sender. Either that or a rear rack mount is crushing the sender wire. I don't know anyone who has a Stella for any length of time who hasn't had gas gauge problems.
jmkjr72

Re: Gas Gauge

Post by jmkjr72 »

Dan Buddy wrote:So if your gas gauge goes out how do you tell if its the sender in the tank or a wiring issue?
you must be having an issue again

im busy this weekend but maybe we can get togehter one of these days when i can bring olive in to town and try to plug my sender into yours and see what we get

im going to try and have olive in town on the 6th for the season opener we may have a ride after but we are also haveing a planning meeting that day too
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

If you have a digital multimeter and a little time, you can tell where the problem is.

Lazy way to check is to remove the cap under the seat that covers the piece that goes into the tank and pull that up and out. Then put the Red/Black on the DMM on the 2 leads, set the DMM to the right setting (I think ohms) and move the switch. It it shows something happened, it's most likely your gauge or the wiring leading to it.

When mine had issues, I pulled it out and cleaned it, checked to make sure the floater was not filled with gas, and put it back and it worked fine after.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
cmac

Post by cmac »

Eh, I gave up on looking at the gas gauge. I just get a feel for how far ive ridden and fill up accordingly.

Mine gauge says im empty when its really half full so meh
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

cmac wrote:Eh, I gave up on looking at the gas gauge. I just get a feel for how far ive ridden and fill up accordingly.

Mine gauge says im empty when its really half full so meh
I rode all of last year that way. I was filling up every 125 miles knowing I could get about 150ish before I would hit reserve but if I can fix this issue without spending too much I would like too.

And yes I did crush the wire when I installed my rack but I have cut out the affected section and it still doesn't work.