A big thanks to Genuine Scooter Company!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lagerhead

A big thanks to Genuine Scooter Company!

Post by Lagerhead »

Genuine decided to name my wife "Buddy of the month" for December 2009.
:clap:

She was recognized today at the Metro Scooter Winter blowout sale and Chili cookout with that awesome certificate, some yummy homemade chili and about 50 or so of her closest (or soon to be) friends.

so,

:clap: Congratulations Buddy of the month "Bonegirl" you rock! :clap:

Oh yeah, the also gave her a new,

BLACKJACK!

Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Go Bonegirl, Go! Congratulation and so very deserved. By the way how many miles have you put on that Pink Buddy?
from Dibber and Dibber Two
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Wow. How totally cool is that! Mad props to Genuine for giving mad props to Bonegirl! Totally deserved! :clap:

But does this mean The Little Pink Scooter That Could will not be racking up any more miles???? Say it isn't so!!! What is it at now? 40,000 miles? I wanted to see if you could hit 100,000! :) I have to say though, The Little Black Scooter That Also Can sure is a dang nice follow up act! :+!:

Ride happy Bonegirl!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
BoneGirl

Shock wave!

Post by BoneGirl »

How unreal is this, you guys?

I had 40,411 on the pink Buddy when I rode to the local scooter shop for their Winter Sale (22 degrees today but sunny). Walked in the door and immediately got attention from the shop owner. He's giving a speech with his arm around me when I realize it's about ME! The crowd parted like the Red Sea and there's a new Black Jack for me! I am so freaked out! Genuine would like to trade the Black Jack for my bike and display it in their Chicago showroom. How humbling is that? I have cried a million tears over the pink bike today but it's time to move on and start racking up miles on my new bike. It was my first motorized 2-wheel vehicle. Oh, and by the way, the Black Jack WILL be PINKby week's end! It's my signature color that I'm known by in the area and the nice thing about it is, if I ever DO need to do a swap, I'll have the panels to do it!

Thanks so very much to Genuine and Philip McCaleb for doing this. I have recommended the Buddy to more people than you can imagine since my 2006 purchase. I ride with so many motorcyclist groups and when they ask me time and time again "When are you getting a real bike?" all I have to do is tell them "When I need to go more than 70mph or this one breaks in half". So far, so good. I love my Buddy and have never once regretted the purchase.

So I thank you all for your kind words and your support. This scooter has changed my life in so many ways I can't begin to tell you. I have written a lot of stories about my journey the last three years and am so grateful to Lagerhead (my mechanical husband) and so thankful to God for keeping me safe so far.

I spilled my scooter one time in three years and it was right in my own driveway! Took a turn into our gravel driveway at about 5mph and within a tenth of a second I was down. Caught myself with outstretched hand and had a sore wrist and shoulder a few days. My windshield was scratched on the edge as well as my mirror. This was within the first 6 months of purchase. But I am a really quick learner and have not been down since. If you don't learn from your mistakes you will get hurt. The Instructor of my MSF class said "Not if but when you go down on your motorcycle". Bah! Humbug! I seriously think this is total BS. I went down because I was stupid. I took a turn in gravel at an angle instead of straight on but I learned from the experience. The plan is to make that my one and only mistake. I have learned to ride within my abilities. Those abilities increase year after year. I am not cocky but confident. I never want to go down because I rode outside those abilities. Be smart. Be safe. And do it on a Buddy!

Thanks to everyone. I feel like Miss America today!

Angie

Here are Lagerhead's pictures from today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lagerhead/ ... 316480698/
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

WOW, serious congratulations are in order! Doe's that mean they have a new winner every month? I've never heard of such a thing!

By the way a pink Buddy with red rims and whitewalls will look AMAZING! :D Congrats again, that's a ton of miles, too bad you can't keep
riding yours to see how long it can go, myself (and probably others) were using you as a reference to attest to the reliability of the Buds.
BoneGirl

Miles and miles and miles

Post by BoneGirl »

Thanks, Krusty,

I truly believe I could have gotten a TON more miles out of that bike. It ran stronger and stronger every year. If nothing else, I look at all those miles I put on that bike in such a short time and it makes me confident my new bike will perform equally!
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

YOU ROCK, Bonegirl!!! :clap:

So Pinky is going to Chicago to be put on display?? What an unbelievable honor - that is so totally awesome. We'll just have to ride up there and visit her!

Congratulations Ang!
Kurt
My computer once beat me at chess. But it was no match for me at kick boxing.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Congrats, Bonegirl, if anyone deserves it, it's you!

What do you think they'll give you when you put a gazillion miles on the new Blackjack?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

A hearty congratulation to you, Bonegirl! That is a well deserved gift, from Genuine. I know that you and your pink Buddy are referenced by dealers and riders around the country when people ask "Well, how long will one of those things last, anyways?"

Super!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

w00t! Congrats, Angie!

You're an unofficial MB Hall of Famer. :)

Seriously, whenever people ask about what kind of miles someone can put on a Buddy, your name always comes up.

Did you ever think you'd achieve a certain level of fame?
KRUSTYburger wrote:WOW, serious congratulations are in order! Doe's that mean they have a new winner every month? I've never heard of such a thing!
Yup. Genuine is giving a deserving Buddyist a new scooter every month. It's really just a way of giving back and showing some goodwill to the scooter community and spreading the Buddy love!

The first recipient: Scooter Mike.
http://www.genuinescooters.com/feat/mike.html

Bonegirl was the second.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Also: First Buddy PINKJack! Can't wait for pics of that!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

Congratulations; well deserved.
Continue to ride safely.
Medusa Padlock

Post by Medusa Padlock »

Super Sweet, You rule!
scootermom

Post by scootermom »

Ok, so that. Is. Awesome! Congrats!
I write about my scooter obsession here:The ScooterMom blog.

Check out myA Hot Piece of Glass Etsy shop!
robby

Post by robby »

Congrats. Props to you and to Genuine Scooters. These guys make it so easy to like them.
BoneGirl

Amazing!

Post by BoneGirl »

I saw the article about November's Buddy of the Month, Mike, but didn't know he received a new Buddy! Holy Cow! Genuine really does deserve mad props if they are going to give a scoot away every month! Wow!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I completely missed this! I never check the gallery threads because most of the public hosting sites are blocked at work. Bonegirl... that's fantastic news! Congratulations on the lovely and unexpected surprise.

Genuine surprises me a little every now and again, but this is a good example of how they surprise me big! What a cool company! Way to look out for their loyal brand zealots!

This new bike's got some livin' up to do! I'm still convinced that you don't actually use your legs anymore, so you'll probably start knocking out the 10k marks on the new Blackjack's odo in short order. Congrats Bonegirl!

Just wow! Very cool!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Oh, I didn't even see this was in the Gallery. Moving to General Discussions!
TVB

Post by TVB »

The truth is, Genuine knows that a Buddy will explode if it hits 42,000 miles, and this was a clever way of getting your scoot off the street before that happened. :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wow congrats Bonegirl! Couldn't have picked a more deserving winner!

And props Genuine for being your usual awesome selves!

Just means I'll have more time to catch up to your milage now, ehh? :P
Anachronism

Re: Shock wave!

Post by Anachronism »

Congratulations!
BoneGirl wrote:
I spilled my scooter one time in three years and it was right in my own driveway! Took a turn into our gravel driveway at about 5mph and within a tenth of a second I was down. Caught myself with outstretched hand and had a sore wrist and shoulder a few days. My windshield was scratched on the edge as well as my mirror. This was within the first 6 months of purchase. But I am a really quick learner and have not been down since. If you don't learn from your mistakes you will get hurt. The Instructor of my MSF class said "Not if but when you go down on your motorcycle". Bah! Humbug! I seriously think this is total BS. I went down because I was stupid. I took a turn in gravel at an angle instead of straight on but I learned from the experience. The plan is to make that my one and only mistake. I have learned to ride within my abilities. Those abilities increase year after year. I am not cocky but confident. I never want to go down because I rode outside those abilities. Be smart. Be safe. And do it on a Buddy!
I think the point the MSF instructor was trying to make (that you pretty much acknowledged) is that nobody will be "smart" every second while riding- we all make mistakes, and it is good to be prepared when you do make one.
Valves are for wussies.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

wow congrats Angie. I started to read this and thought. OK, they gave her a certificate? why not a genuine gift card or something? But a new Buddy! awesome. Now I do doubt they are giving one away a month. Keep driving safe and have fun. I hope the pinkjack brings as many miles and more.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

That is totally awesome! And now you will have a PinkJack (insert jealousy here)!
so tough, so pink
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

WOWEE ZOWEE!!! Congratulations, Bonegirl. :D
ericalm wrote:Also: First Buddy PINKJack! Can't wait for pics of that!
Not true! heatherr126 has the first pinkjack, called Jacqueline.
ModBud #442
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Bonegirl sandwich! Seth and Dave are the bread!

I bet you were chosen because you were holding steady in the top 5 in the cold weather challenge, but you got knocked out this weekend!

Get back out there! Ride safe though!

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

this is amazing! I saw pictures on the modern buddy flickr group I just didn't get that was you getting a new blackjack!!
pimaCanyon

Post by pimaCanyon »

totally awesome, Bonegirl! Way to go!

Can't wait to see pix of the pinkjack.

Enjoy the new ride!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Congrats Bonegirl!

Rubber side down for the next 50k.
Scooter Commuter
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

TVB wrote:The truth is, Genuine knows that a Buddy will explode if it hits 42,000 miles, and this was a clever way of getting your scoot off the street before that happened. :D
Tee! Hee! My husband said they wanted it before I just rode it in half!
BoneGirl

Thanks again

Post by BoneGirl »

I feel like a celebrity but I just love riding that scooter so dang much! I enjoy riding with the big motorcycle benefit rides (once there were 1,500 bikes and me and another time around 600+ motorcycles and a couple scooters). Those guys are just floored every time I show up on the Buddy; you can see the snickers in their faces...until it's time to giddy up and go! That's when I am so proud of my scooter! So to be accepted year after year among these riders is an accomplishment. I don't really care what they think but it makes the rides much more enjoyable when I'm not being snubbed.

You guys will have to help me think of a name: Pink Jack isn't catchy at all. There are a lot of you that come up with really clever stuff so that's your challenge!

Thanks again for all the pats on the back!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

That's amazing. You've been one of my inspirations for riding (among others here) when things start getting to me. Such an amazing surprise!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: Thanks again

Post by Lostmycage »

BoneGirl wrote: You guys will have to help me think of a name: Pink Jack isn't catchy at all. There are a lot of you that come up with really clever stuff so that's your challenge!
I started thinking up names based on the scooter model and your screen name. I'm not going to post them but I will tell you that if you leave an invitation like that open, the responses are going to seem more naughty than creative. :wha:

I'm just sayin'.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
laxer

Post by laxer »

You'll have to come up with some kind of ratrod name for it, but I have no idea what that would be.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

laxer wrote:You'll have to come up with some kind of ratrod name for it, but I have no idea what that would be.
Heh, I was talking to my wife about this subject and my three year old piped up that it should be named "Pinky Fingerman". He wouldn't listen when I said it was a scooter, not a finger. So thats my suggestion ;)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Black Betty?
laxer

Post by laxer »

Cheshire wrote:Black Betty?
Pink Petty?
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

laxer wrote:You'll have to come up with some kind of ratrod name for it, but I have no idea what that would be.
"Pinky's Brain"...? :twisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

Congrats on the new scooter, and getting yours put into the Genuine Hall of Fame! Way to go! I'm looking forward to seeing that new scooter pink'd.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

That is very cool. Great for you getting all those miles, safely and amazing for Genuine to recognize a true hard-core rider with a sweet new scoot. Good vibes all around! I'll be sure to mention this to them at DealerExpo!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

What a great story! We need to find a similar deserving potential scooter rider out here in Seattle and do the same thing!!
We are going to work on putting this together!! Should be able to make an announcement by March 1st...

Please send us your suggestions on any potential candidates you believe are really deserving!

mynewscooter@seattlescooter.com
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

You so deserve this! Whenever someone asks me why I have a Buddy instead of something more dependable like a Honda or a Yamaha I always bring up your story :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Dave R wrote:What a great story! We need to find a similar deserving potential scooter rider out here in Seattle and do the same thing!!
We are going to work on putting this together!! Should be able to make an announcement by March 1st...

Please send us your suggestions on any potential candidates you believe are really deserving!

I suggest Alix B...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Roose Hurro wrote:
Dave R wrote:What a great story! We need to find a similar deserving potential scooter rider out here in Seattle and do the same thing!!

I suggest Alix B...

But Alix isn't in Seattle. I believe she's in Maine.

Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Kaos wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:

I suggest Alix B...

So, this thing is only in Seattle? A dealer thing, not from Genuine themselves, as was my understanding?

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote: I suggest Alix B...

So, this thing is only in Seattle? A dealer thing, not from Genuine themselves, as was my understanding?

Two totally separate things!
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ericalm wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:
Kaos wrote: But Alix isn't in Seattle. I believe she's in Maine.

Two totally separate things!
I was talking about the "scoot a month" thing Genuine was supposed to be puting out, from what I read earlier in this thread. Or did I misread something? :shock: 8)

Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Big congrats :clap:
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Roose Hurro: the Dave R's seattle comment that you quoted is separate and seems to be just for his area through one dealer. The Buddy-a-month is separate from that.

Alix B's in Richmond, VA last I checked. Thank goodness she posts to her blog every blue moon. ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:Alix B's in Richmond, VA last I checked. Thank goodness she posts to her blog every blue moon. ;)
Yup. She's even on Twitter now. So there, you anti-Twitterites. :P
TVB

Re: Thanks again

Post by TVB »

BoneGirl wrote:You guys will have to help me think of a name: Pink Jack isn't catchy at all. There are a lot of you that come up with really clever stuff so that's your challenge!
Is Pinky Tuscadero too obvious? Or too dated?