Two-stroke

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coastie

Two-stroke

Post by coastie »

So, my wife wants to buy a vintage vespa that has had a stella engine put in it. I know nothing about two stroke engines. Do they take mixed gas??
Anachronism

Re: Two-stroke

Post by Anachronism »

coastie wrote:So, my wife wants to buy a vintage vespa that has had a stella engine put in it. I know nothing about two stroke engines. Do they take mixed gas??
Maybe.

Depends on what you mean by a "Stella" engine. The engine as installed in the Stella is oil injected, and does not need premix (it still consumes oil, as all two strokes do, but it has a seperate oil reservoir and does the mixing itself).

However LML produces a 5 port Stella style engine designed to be used as a replacement engine for classic Vespas. This one DOES require premix, as would most classic Vespas. Example here: http://www.scooterworks.com/Engine_150c ... 05C466.cfm

I would guess that they probably put the pre-mix version of the engine in, rather than take an engine out of a Stella and then make a premix reservoir.
Valves are for wussies.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

you are going to have to look at the scoot
some of the vespa ran mixed gas and others were injected
the best bet is to ask the person you are buying it from if it isinjected or not
why is that some times people remove the oilinjection if they do mods
the non injected enigine is cheper then the injected
if they do mix as them what mix they are using some guys have been runing 3% due to mods
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Baldjohn

Re: Two-stroke

Post by Baldjohn »

coastie wrote:So, my wife wants to buy a vintage vespa that has had a stella engine put in it. I know nothing about two stroke engines. Do they take mixed gas??
There are plenty of scooters out there with LML motors already in them. Its a hassle to switch all the electrical etc over from points to electronic etc. I thought Scooterworks once sold older Vespas with LML motors in them. Americanscootercenter.com may also.

My advice is to find the bike that already has what she wants. They pop up in Arizona on Craigslist all the time. Just beware of Viet Nam death sleds.