anyone know of a quick release topcase for the buddy rack?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

anyone know of a quick release topcase for the buddy rack?

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Hi all, I have recently realized that my current Genuine topcase and my backpack do not get along very well. The backpack is large and while wearing it, the topcase forces me to sit farther up than I would like to. Anyone know of a good quick release topcase that would fit the buddy rear rack? I'd love to be able to easily remove the topcase when I'm using my backpack since I rarely need to use both at the same time.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Givi and Shad make some of the best.

When I was looking at top cases, I liked Shad; seems to have more "bang for the buck" and great reviews. They have a model made for also strapping stuff to the top which really increases it's capacity.

Most manufactures have top cases that will fit the Bud.

I made my milk crate a quick release with two pieces of wood, one large bolt and a wingnut!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

A have a Shad SH33 which is, in theory, a quick release. It sits on top of a platform with a key locking mechanism that uses the same key as the case. The reason I say that the quick release is only in theory, though, is because I find it very difficult to remount the case when I remove it. I literally have to hang off of the front lip of the case to get it to latch back down (I am a 95 lb. weakling, so your results may vary :lol: ). I've only done this a couple of times, though, so maybe it would wear in with regular use.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I have a Prima Bag zip locked to a cooling rack to stiffen up the bottom and prevent sag. I've fastened it to the Buddy rack with the snap release straps that came with the Prima so it is fairly quick to attach or remove.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

thanx for the info, its good to know I've got some options cause ride'n near the front of the seat isn't working for me so well. I think I'm gonna check out the shad sh 33 and see if I like that one.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
MLP

Post by MLP »

I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bestem-Q ... ccessories Sometimes you can find them for $50 with free shipping. I used some off-the-shelf spray paint and got a close match to my Pamplona. It seems to be a higher quality than the Genuine box. I've had it going on six months and have been happy with it.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I've had a Givi Top Case for 2 1/2 years and it is very durable. It does have a quick release (red lever). Getting the case back on can be a struggle because the of tight fit.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
paige

Post by paige »

So, do any of the Shad or Givi cases fit the Buddy mounting plate?
I know my Givi case has a Givi plate that is mounted on the Buddy. If you have a Genuine case, is the mounting plate similar to the Givi or Shad plates or do you need an entirely new set up? I have a similar dilemma on my Vespa LX. I have the OEM rack and case. I would prefer a GIVI case, but the addition of crashbars means that I can never take the Vespa rack off.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The quick release cases come with universal mounting plates. Those clamp onto the stock (or aftermarket) rear racks. So long as you have the metal rear rack, the case (which comes with the universal base) should be all you need.

The Buddy mounting plate is more of a set of metal plates that clamp the top box onto the rear rack.

Paige, if those are your bikes (and not shared) you should see if you can find just the mounting base that goes along with your givi case. If so, you could mount a plate on each scooter and just take the quick release Givi case with you when you switch bikes.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

pcbikedude wrote:I've had a Givi Top Case for 2 1/2 years and it is very durable. It does have a quick release (red lever). Getting the case back on can be a struggle because the of tight fit.
+1

I swear by my Givi. I actually dropped it off the bike one time (forgot to lock it down) and it hardly had a scratch. Still works perfectly.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Try jcwhitney.com for a quick release case at a reasonable price. Comes in two sizes. I have one on my Buddy and one on my Sym HD 200.
Me? I ride for the bugs!