the problem w/buying a cheap rainsuit...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

UnionZac

the problem w/buying a cheap rainsuit...

Post by UnionZac »

is that it wears out quickly and or rips and you end up at work explaining that you didn't pee your pants.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

When I get rained on and someone asks me if I wet myself, I tell 'em it was the quickest way to warm up for a moment :p
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I've heard good things about Frogg Toggs http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/categor ... ategory=07. I haven't worn them myself, but then I don't ride in wet weather. I have a Marsee rain suit, built a long long long time ago (now they don't even make them anymore), and I've never worn it. I put it on once, and after about 5 minutes I started sweating really heavily. yuck...... Almost every MC manufacturer makes some type of rain gear. Check out BMW or Triumph (England is known for it's sucktastic weather). I would try to get gear designed for people who ride on two wheels as opposed to getting something generic.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I have some Frogg Toggs. I think they work pretty well but I've always been cheap and gotten the ones on clearance which are not usually the best design for the driving rain one faces while riding. As a result they've let rain in around the collar.

So now I wear some cheap Frogg Toggs pants with this really super cheap army surplus rain jacket.

For $13.50 the thing is amazing. Took WAY too long to ship (I've only ordered from them once so I don't know if that's common) but it is the best designed jacket for riding. Multiple flaps over flaps so no rain gets in anywhere.

The description says pants. There are no pants. They just like the words pants. Cuz, well, pants.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jmazza wrote:The description says pants. There are no pants. They just like the words pants. Cuz, well, pants.
The Brits are rolling in aisles right about now. They find the word pants hilarious. Go figure.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
jmazza wrote:The description says pants. There are no pants. They just like the words pants. Cuz, well, pants.
The Brits are rolling in aisles right about now. They find the word pants hilarious. Go figure.
I find the word "pants" hilarious.
More hilarious: "trousers."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

I own a set of Frogg Togs, and have worn them many times. Where we live we have monsoon season, and a storm can come up any time. I've never gotten wet with them on, no matter how hard it rained. I swear by them. $70 at Cycle Gear, a bargain.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I hardly ever get caught out in the rain here and don't ride when it's coming down in torrents like this week. Still, I went and checked out the cheapo rainsuits at the local military surplus store. It's possible to get something tfor around $15-$20.

Problem is, it's going to last one or two wearings. They're pretty much disposable and you'll probably put your foot through it putting it on in a hurry on the side of the road.

For me it might be worth having the cheapo one just in case or if I go out on a long ride when there's a chance of rain.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

anyone familiar with these rain pants: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-R ... 96653.html ???
hcstrider

Re: the problem w/buying a cheap rainsuit...

Post by hcstrider »

UnionZac wrote:is that it wears out quickly and or rips and you end up at work explaining that you didn't pee your pants.
Exactly! :cry: I went through a couple of pairs of inexpensive rainsuits before upgrading to a better quality rainsuit. The problem that I had with inexpensive rainsuits was that the pant seams rip usually within the first or second time wearing the rainsuit.

I now have a Frogg Toggs Road Toad rainsuit which I like a lot. It keeps me dry, is much more breathable than the inexpensive plastic rainsuits that I had before and has reflective piping on it. I got this rainsuit because several other MB members recommended it.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Like I said, I bought one of the clearance Frogg Toggs, but the plastic zipper lasted exactly until I tried to get my messenger bag under it. It pulled apart and is useless. I don't know if the higher end FT's are made with better zippers? And I do know that the model I got is not really constructed for riding purposes- I bet their motorcycle suit would fare much better.

The military jacket I linked above is canvas and seems like it will last quite a while... definitely not a cheap throwaway (despite the price tag)