NSR - I'm with Coco

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

UnionZac

NSR - I'm with Coco

Post by UnionZac »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Too late for Coco. He got the boot. He may be out by the end of this week.

I have nothing against Leno (he's a Buddy owner, you know!) but Conan really got shafted on this one and it's all the fault of the network. Hopefully when Comcast takes over, they'll clean house and kick Jeff Zucker to the curb.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

I wouldn't feel to bad for him. My understanding is he will be getting multi-millions in buyout from the network over this and he doesn't have to honor the no compete clause.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Yea just read Coco will get around 40 million.I'd volunteer to get fired for that!
Aerosmith, None Other.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

To watch this thing go down was like watching a presidential election or something . Taking shots and low blows. Entertaining but irrelevant. I'm a Letterman fan anyway. :shock: :lol:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Ha Ha Ha, this whole thing was the New Coke of late night.

Letterman fan here too.
so tough, so pink
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i used to watch Conan after Letterman, but when Conan took 11:30 i found he was better than the alternatives.
Letterman used to be great and still has his moments but how many times did I have to hear the Menta Li-il joke? That and other jokes were repeated so often it got to be the same show night after night.
Wishin I could see the bits from NBC Letterman. Just Bulbs. Always a classic

As far as Jay goes, I lost all respect when he started selling Doritos
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

i figured out why jay leno is so unsuccessful in prime time. he's not funny. period. i'm not sure that he ever was. I am, and will always be a conan fan. i'll watch him on fox, if that's where he ends up. i'd even consider expanding my cable package to get whatever channel he ends up on.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Leno in prime time was NBC's way of giving up on creative television. Of course, it was billed as a groundbreaking idea when all it was was a cynical attempt to attract ratings and advertising for the cheapest possible investment. When the show turned out to be (surprise!) a re-hash of the old show, the audience wised up quickly and tuned out. This show's failure actually gives me some hope regarding the future of network TV, but those hopes are still pretty slim. Too bad Conan had to be involved at all.

If you want to see what a "talk show" is really capable of, try tuning into Spectacle Wednesday nights on Sundance. It's not late night TV, but you probably won't care.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Of all the nets, NBC has hard the toughest time developing new programming. There's been a huge crisis of leadership there. They came up with all these ridiculous ideas like they weren't going to do pilot development, they weren't going to do traditional network upfronts, etc. and as a result they had nothing to show and a decline in ad revenues. Instead of putting money into developing shows, they're trying to cut and scrimp and save. They went crazy trying to develop existing properties (Bionic Woman) and imports (Coupling, Kath and Kim) because it was cheaper and they felt these were safer bets than new concepts. Along the way, they pointed to their few successes but have yet to debut anything nearly as successful and profitable as Friends, ER, and the original Law & Orders.

Leno in primetime was an attempt to put something that would cost a lot less on the air knowing the revenues would be smaller. It saved them from having to pay for developing numerous new pilots, selecting 5 to go on air, buying at least 8 episodes of each and marketing them. I believe NBC had the second smallest pilot order of all the networks last year—smallest was the CW. None of their new shows are hits (though I really like Community). They killed their best hour-long drama in years, Kings, because they had no idea how to market it.

So here's hoping probably new owners Comcast cleans house and brings some fresh blood and ideas to NBC!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I thought the onslaught of "reality TV" shows was the networks' way of giving up on creative television.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:I thought the onslaught of "reality TV" shows was the networks' way of giving up on creative television.
Ha, that's both cause and effect. Reality TV still brings in huge numbers. As long as people watch it, advertisers will buy space and the nets have a way of filling an hour and making more than they would with scripted shows. Everyone wins… except for the people who don't like reality TV.

I won't categorically dismiss it; it's a genre with good and bad like any other. I love Top Chef, Runway, and yes even Top Model and Idol. At the same time, I can't bring myself to watch the MTV/VH1/E! stuff like Jersey Shore, Kardashians, Hills, etc. (exception: Run's House!).
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I do my part. I can and do categorically dismiss it. :bleh:

Also, "unscripted". You crack me up Eric! :rofl:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

gt1000 wrote:Leno in prime time was NBC's way of giving up on creative television. Of course, it was billed as a groundbreaking idea when all it was was a cynical attempt to attract ratings and advertising for the cheapest possible investment.
that's kind of wrong, actually. 5 years ago, NBC was just going to let Leno go, and give conan his job. Then Leno started getting offers from other networks. Rather than let him go, and potentially compete with Conan, they created this half-ass show, and it failed. I was NBC's way of trying to hold on to as many marbles as they could.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Anybody know what happened to "FlashForward" or the new "V"...? Those shows got me to watch Network TV again, but then they just vanished.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TVB

Post by TVB »

Roose Hurro wrote:Anybody know what happened to "FlashForward" or the new "V"...? Those shows got me to watch Network TV again, but then they just vanished.
That's just networks not trying to keep an audience. They look at the calendar, see "it's the holidays", and just stop showing anything new until (in their minds) the audience is eager again for more. In fact, I've just gotten out of the habit of turning on the TV.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:I won't categorically dismiss it; it's a genre with good and bad like any other. I love Top Chef, Runway, and yes even Top Model and Idol.
I have no interest in any of this stuff, but I'll grant "reality [sic] TV" this: My sister says that a couple of these are the only TV she routinely watches, because they're something that she and her daughter can watch together. Most programs are so targeted at a specific market segment (girls 8-12, men 15-25, women 30-50) and unenjoyable by anyone else, that she can't do that. But they both enjoy "The Biggest Loser", it has a generally positive theme, no violence... so I guess it's not the complete waste of electricity I would've said it was.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:Anybody know what happened to "FlashForward" or the new "V"...? Those shows got me to watch Network TV again, but then they just vanished.
On hiatus. Both are coming back.

V started strong but then lost some, so it's not guaranteed a pickup for next year yet.

Flash Forward also fell off and it's return has been delayed for a few weeks because of American Idol and because they're revamping some aspects of the show (uh oh).
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ericalm wrote:

V started strong but then lost some, so it's not guaranteed a pickup for next year yet.

Flash Forward also fell off and it's return has been delayed for a few weeks because of American Idol and because they're revamping some aspects of the show (uh oh).
Huh... barely got started, barely had time to build an audience, then they put them on "hiatus". So, they both "lost some" and "fell off". Well, in the PTW business, that's normal, isn't it? It doesn't mean we don't like the show, it simply means the initial surge of interest has weeded out those not interested, so you know your core audience. Maybe that is the reason for FlashForward's "revamp"...? More focused towards its core audience?

Who knows.........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
maribell

Post by maribell »

I am with Coco too. He spent years paying his dues at NBC, only to get shafted 7 months into hosting late night, which is a promotion they promised him 5 years ago. I used to love Leno back when I was a middle schooler with a case of insomnia. But now, I refuse to watch his "jokes at 10 p.m." on principle alone. NBC should have just let Jay go. I am sure he would be in the same boat on any other network.
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

I don't know who Coco is, but I really don't care for any of these other guys. I miss Johnny Carson. I gave my TV away when reality TV took over. I think it's garbage... just my 2 cents worth.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:
ericalm wrote:

Huh... barely got started, barely had time to build an audience, then they put them on "hiatus". So, they both "lost some" and "fell off". Well, in the PTW business, that's normal, isn't it? It doesn't mean we don't like the show, it simply means the initial surge of interest has weeded out those not interested, so you know your core audience. Maybe that is the reason for FlashForward's "revamp"...? More focused towards its core audience?

Who knows.........
Problem is they need a bigger core audience. I think they'll likely adjust the pacing, focus on some characters over others and possibly shift more towards the mythology/mystery/action stuff than the personal stories and lots of Joseph Fiennes furrowing his brow and wringing his hands. They tried to juggle all of those elements like "Lost" does, but that's very hard to do. "Flash Forward" front-loaded a lot of mysteries for the characters—especially the secondary ones—but then provided a possible explanation for the flash less than halfway through season one.