New Blurrrrrrr

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scooterbill
Dealer

New Blurrrrrrr

Post by scooterbill »

The new Genuine Blur SS220i will be available starting April ( that means May likely ) in White and Gun Metal. Suggested MSRP is $3899. Hot Damn!

[/img]
Attachments
G-MAX-220-012-540X440.jpg
G-MAX-220-012-540X440.jpg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
Last edited by scooterbill on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Wow! I sure hope this is true! I just called my local dealer (SF Scooter Center) and they are not aware of any release date for either the new Blur or the Stella. But, if it does get confirmed, my Blur will go on the chopping block at Craigslist. :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I like the price point. Having said that, I don't think I'll upgrade.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:Wow! I sure hope this is true! I just called my local dealer (SF Scooter Center) and they are not aware of any release date for either the new Blur or the Stella. But, if it does get confirmed, my Blur will go on the chopping block at Craigslist. :D
I know the Stella was sent to CARB for testing long ago. Not sure about the Blur 220. Probably coming mid-year, then.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I heard April as well for the 220i. I'm excited to see it in white (also which version of gray they go with). I'm a little sad that this is about 3 weeks too late for me personally... but not too sad. :D

As always, I'll believe it when I see it! (I really want to believe).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Oh, man, that's what I get for not returning McCaleb's calls.

Exciiiiited. It's a great bike, can't wait to see the final color scheme. I sure hope it sells. The price is right, but there are a lot of scooters out there right now.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:Oh, man, that's what I get for not returning McCaleb's calls.

Exciiiiited. It's a great bike, can't wait to see the final color scheme. I sure hope it sells. The price is right, but there are a lot of scooters out there right now.
Agreed on every point. Anybody who has ever ridden a 150cc Blur knows that it's a great scooter, needing only a little more motor to make it supremely awesome. Genuine just has to keep their eye on the pricepoint and they'll (finally) have a winner with this bike. That's the hallmark of a successful company, you know, the willingness to keep improving a winning product until the market responds.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

jrsjr wrote:… the willingness to keep improving a winning product until the market responds.
And even when there is no market.

I think spring will prove that the boom is over, and we'll start seeing more dealers and smaller importers dropping like flies.

Genuine (and dealers like Scooterville, POC, Sportique, etc) have always been in it for the long haul, and they better than anyone knew the cyclical nature of the industry, so hopefully they all put away some money from the 2008 boom, because they're looking at some hard years ahead.

People think I'm crazy when I say VespaUSA's days are numbered but I have no doubt they'll be long gone (and back, and gone again) before Genuine/Scooterworks runs out of steam. I wouldn't be surprised to see PiaggioUSA shut down by the end of 2010.

Maybe THEN, they'll hand over the distributorship to Scooterworks, which they shoulda done in the first place.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:
jrsjr wrote:… the willingness to keep improving a winning product until the market responds.
It worked for Microsoft with Windows. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
illnoise wrote:
It worked for Microsoft with Windows. :wink:
When was that a winning product? :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

i'll buy one used maybe. but for now i am completely content with my 150
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

fs8gbe wrote:i'll buy one used maybe. but for now i am completely content with my 150
Don't test ride a new one!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Lostmycage wrote:
fs8gbe wrote:i'll buy one used maybe. but for now i am completely content with my 150
Don't test ride a new one!
I don't think it's enough of a difference to justify a change. The new Blur would be a perfect replacement for the old one, but while there is still life in my old Blur as a daily commuter, I don't think I can justify the expense. At 150 or 220 it is still an in-town bike, not a tourer or other purpose. Now, if it was a 300 or 400? I actually see me moving up to a Majesty if I stick with a modern scoot as my commuter.

It does bring up a point. At what time do you replace a scooter that you bought new? With my cars, I try to keep one I've bought new for at least two years beyond the loan and hopefully three. Mileagewise I try to replace them before hitting 100,000. I don't know what the equivilant would be for a new scooter that I paid cash for? Have to think on that one for a while.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

KCScooterDude wrote: I don't think it's enough of a difference to justify a change. The new Blur would be a perfect replacement for the old one, but while there is still life in my old Blur as a daily commuter, I don't think I can justify the expense. At 150 or 220 it is still an in-town bike, not a tourer or other purpose. Now, if it was a 300 or 400? I actually see me moving up to a Majesty if I stick with a modern scoot as my commuter.

It does bring up a point. At what time do you replace a scooter that you bought new? With my cars, I try to keep one I've bought new for at least two years beyond the loan and hopefully three. Mileagewise I try to replace them before hitting 100,000. I don't know what the equivilant would be for a new scooter that I paid cash for? Have to think on that one for a while.
I see your point and agree with it. I was trying to warn F8 off of being bitten by the speed bug. If you test ride one, you'll know what you're missing. That'll eat at ya somethin' fierce.

As for the reselling stuff... hrmm. I've never bought a new car, that's just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me. As far as the resell market on a bike, it's pretty much when you feel you're done with the bike or another makes more sense and you can't justify collecting it. Cars go down in value steadily. Bikes are cyclical (honestly, no pun intended) any bike is worth way more in June than it is in January. If you're patient and know what you're looking for, you can almost break even.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Lostmycage wrote:
I see your point and agree with it. I was trying to warn F8 off of being bitten by the speed bug. If you test ride one, you'll know what you're missing. That'll eat at ya somethin' fierce.

As for the reselling stuff... hrmm. I've never bought a new car, that's just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me. As far as the resell market on a bike, it's pretty much when you feel you're done with the bike or another makes more sense and you can't justify collecting it. Cars go down in value steadily. Bikes are cyclical (honestly, no pun intended) any bike is worth way more in June than it is in January. If you're patient and know what you're looking for, you can almost break even.
I've got a motorcycle for speed.

My philosophy with cars is that you should only buy new if you are going to stick it out through the entire loan then at least two years after. My wife has to buy new because of her job, but her company pays for it so it's a wash. When you factor in the warranty and two or three years of payment-free bliss, it's worth it to me.

I've only not followed that advice once, and it was beyond my control. Because of an un-expected job change I had to sell a new Toyota Matrix a year after I purchased it. Surprisingly, though I'd only put $1,000 down on the car, I had $500 left over after paying off the loan.

Now that I'm scooter/motorcycle-centric I don't see myself buying a new car primarily because I'd rather pour my money into two-wheeled conveyances.

I do wonder if the Blur might be worth keeping around because of its rarity.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Sure wish this had come out when I was first looking back in '08. As it is now, I doubt that I'd sink this much money into the 220 for two reasons:

1) As you may already know, I tried to sell my Blur, but couldn't do so without taking a bath on the price. The economy, lower gas prices, and a general lack of scooter-interest in my part of NJ all probably contributed to the situation.

2) Since I can't get rid of it, and it does fit my daily commuting needs perfectly, I'd rather keep the 150 and sink considerably less than $3899 into a used motorcycle, which would hopefully handle my "feelin' my oats" episodes.

Of course, a winning ticket in some gargantuan lottery drawing would render everything moot. Hell, I'd have a different Aermacchi 350SS for each day of the week.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

charlie55 wrote: 2) Since I can't get rid of it, and it does fit my daily commuting needs perfectly, I'd rather keep the 150 and sink considerably less than $3899 into a used motorcycle, which would hopefully handle my "feelin' my oats" episodes.
I paid $425 for a 1981 Suzuki GS550 with 10,000 miles that runs perfectly. All I had to do clean out the carbs and drain the bad gas that was sitting in it. These Japanese bikes from the '70s and '80s are bulletproof.

Check out the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club at VJMC.org and classicjapanesemotorcycles.com.

For $4,000 you could buy a GS 450, a 550, an 850 and an 1100, put new tires on each bike, clean out the carbs and have plenty of money left over for new riding gear and an accessory or two for the bikes.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

KC:

My point exactly.

And I'm in no way knocking the new Blur's price point. Considering that the '06 had an MSRP that was only about $400 lower, and that a 2010 dollar's worth about two paper clips and a wad of lint, it's damned reasonable when you look at what you're getting.
JOHN E

Post by JOHN E »

hey charlie55 If you like Aermacchi's you dig one of my long term projects
Attachments
smmy2 (2).jpg
smmy2 (2).jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
smmy1.jpg
smmy1.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

charlie55 wrote:KC:

My point exactly.

And I'm in no way knocking the new Blur's price point. Considering that the '06 had an MSRP that was only about $400 lower, and that a 2010 dollar's worth about two paper clips and a wad of lint, it's damned reasonable when you look at what you're getting.
I think that price point is fantastic. Again, if I needed to replace my Blur, the 220i would be my first choice. Two, three years down the road and I might take a look. Not this year though. My ride's got too much life in it.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

KCScooterDude wrote: I think that price point is fantastic. Again, if I needed to replace my Blur, the 220i would be my first choice. Two, three years down the road and I might take a look. Not this year though. My ride's got too much life in it.
let's hope the new version lasts long enough to get one in a couple years!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

JOHN E wrote:hey charlie55 If you like Aermacchi's you dig one of my long term projects
Wow! Your life is an exact copy of mine. Let' see:

-Cute, happy kid(s)...............................................√
-Sharp-looking Aermacchi......................................X
-Big-ass lathe and other handy machinery............X

Well, almost exact.

(Sigh)
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Here's a video of the G-Max 220. Sexy, er bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HyGxGnkEwk
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KCScooterDude wrote:Here's a video of the G-Max 220. Sexy, er bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HyGxGnkEwk
Half-GATT? Awesome song, too.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I definitely want one!!! I also want the Blur/G-Max too. 8)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Last summer I saw a woman wearing nothing but a bikini top and some jean shorts riding a sport bike at least twice as fast as traffic. The evil part of me wanted her to experience road rash like no one should ever experience road rash but I settled for wishing the cops on her. I really don't get the whole I have to sexy myself to death thing.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

The only problem I have with the video is that as she's walking away from the bike she throws away her jacket. Everyone knows that when you are in a movie, the only thing you throw away is a gun that's out of bullets.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If it's a really awesome movie, they wouldn't run out of bullets.
KS Power Nick
Retailer/Vendor

Post by KS Power Nick »

We looked over the Blur 220 at Dealer expo this weekend and let me tell you it is NICE!!!

We will be getting a chance to ride one here shortly and maybe see if we can get some more power out of it.... because stock is just never enough.

I forgot my cable for my camera today. So I will have to post the pics tomorrow.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

Lets see some pictures.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I made the mistake of visiting my local dealer this past weekend. As much as I've forsworn the idea of getting a 220i, the combination of his enthusiasm, knowledgeable sales pitch, offer of Genuine financing, and the possibility of a fair trade-in price for the '06 has me getting weak in the knees.

Somebody, please, stuff cotton in my ears and lash me to the mast.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

in know i want one im thinking of selling my 07 i dont know about a trade in but id need about 2500 for it for sure.
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

dschiedow

Resale value for a 2006 Genuine Blur

Post by dschiedow »

Does anybody know what I can get for my 2006 Blur ?. it is not listed in the Kelly Blue book.[/b]
ericz
Dealer

Blur 220 in Seattle

Post by ericz »

The Blur 220 is going to rip! We'll have em in Seattle in April.
Eric Z
Ducati Seattle
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

And the story/pics to go with the Twitpic above (in case you missed it)
http://bit.ly/a0oB4a

And yes, I'm getting one. The question is WHEN?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

I'm really happy to see Genuine filling the niche at this engine size. I doubt I'll trade up for it, but I certainly would have gotten this instead of the BlackJack. For my riding needs (mostly city commutes) I want something with just enough power to handle 55/65 MPH roads for a short stretch, but with the handling and breaking power for time mostly spent in stop-and-go 35 MPH traffic. As-is, I'm pointedly avoiding the highways.

Like everyone else, post-lottery, I'd have a stable of bikes for different types of riding. Since I can only reasonably own one, this would have met more of my needs. It seemed like after 150cc, it was rare to find anything that wasn't a cruiser.
Davek

Post by Davek »

I noticed its on their website now.. or maybe it was there already and I didn't noticed it.

http://genuinescooters.com/scooters/blur/blur.html
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Davek wrote:I noticed its on their website now.. or maybe it was there already and I didn't noticed it.

http://genuinescooters.com/scooters/blur/blur.html
I just noticed today!
ggs34

new blur hp

Post by ggs34 »

does any one know the hp rating and does the new blur have 4 vavles
Davek

Post by Davek »

16 hp according to the 2strokebuzz review

http://2strokebuzz.com/2009/08/09/genui ... -test-ride
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Well, it's almost the end of April and I still haven't seen any sign of the new Blur. Maybe end of May? :?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

<a href="topic14125.html#179858">Called it!</a>

Seriously, I'm excited to see the new Blur. I wish I could afford one... money and space, lol.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

has anyone got their hands on one of these yet?
masterofillusion

Post by masterofillusion »

I had a Beo 200 with 19 hp. I'm suprised the Blur only has 16. The Aprilia was faster than most 250 scoots. The Blur looks great though.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

In case anyone around these parts is interested, SF Scooter Center is suppose to have the 220i by the end of May. They're also expecting the Stella around the same time. They DO have the MadAss in stock, though.
leo.urbis

Post by leo.urbis »

masterofillusion wrote:I had a Beo 200 with 19 hp. I'm suprised the Blur only has 16. The Aprilia was faster than most 250 scoots. The Blur looks great though.
I own an SYM HD200 and I think that we have scoots that are in a similar class with the Vespa GT200. What each of these scooters have in common is what I think is missing from the Blur 220i: liquid cooling. The new Blur is only air cooled and that, IMHO, is going to seriously limit the Blur's performance. It will surely out perform a 150cc air cooled scooter, but I wonder how it will compare to a 170-200cc liquid cooled scooter.
ggs34

2010 blur

Post by ggs34 »

has any one bought this bike or got to ride one is it as good as it looks
jasondavis48108

Re: 2010 blur

Post by jasondavis48108 »

ggs34 wrote:has any one bought this bike or got to ride one is it as good as it looks
I think one person, Illnoise maybe, got to ride one for a review but they arn't on U.S. soil yet but will be very soon, I think I read in another post that they would be here by 2nd week in June.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
charlie55

Re: 2010 blur

Post by charlie55 »

I think I read in another post that they would be here by 2nd week in June.
Or not.