Help! Rubber deteriorating on 2009 Stella?!?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

Help! Rubber deteriorating on 2009 Stella?!?

Post by Anachronism »

Am I missing something here? I picked up a 2009 Stella in September. It has 400 miles on it.

Tons of rubber on it looks like it has spent 20 years abandoned in the desert, with cracks, splits, etc. The pieces in trouble include...

My battery strap has snapped. When I took the cover for the spare tire off I found this was the only thing holding it in place.
The trim ring for the ignition key shows cracks and checking the entire way around.
All of the weather boots for the engine wiring are cracked and checked, including the spark plug boot.

Is this normal? Colorado is dry, sure, BUT NOT THAT DRY!
Valves are for wussies.
bcarter

Post by bcarter »

I have a 2009 stella with no problems with the rubber. I'm in georgia though, not cold and certainly never dry.
cmac

Post by cmac »

Indian rubber = shit
If you want it to last, I think they make some silicone spray that protects rubbers and what not.
I would replace any rubber that you want to stay in good shape :)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Any chance I can get some warranty help on this?
Valves are for wussies.
bluefox

Post by bluefox »

warranty? possibly. I get this stuff on a black can that feels like whale sperm that does charms on my stella with this cold dry weather. best of luck!
ImageImage
easy

Post by easy »

just got to ask how do you know what whale sperm feels like.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

bluefox wrote:warranty? possibly. I get this stuff on a black can that feels like whale sperm that does charms on my stella with this cold dry weather. best of luck!
Do you know what it is called? I am NOT going into a parts shop asking for "stuff in a black can that feels like whale sperm." I have to draw the lien somewhere.
Valves are for wussies.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Talked to my shop and several other Stella owners on a toy run over the weekend.

The Stella owners had deterioration problems, but not like I have seen. Consensus was that rubber supplier may have changed, or maybe I got a bike that they put rubber components that had been sitting on a shelf or the like. If they had rubber stuff manufactured before the strike that just got put on a bike now, it could explain the issue.

Shop said they would absolutely warranty anything that breaks.
Valves are for wussies.
bluefox

Post by bluefox »

Found it! The stuff is called black again. here is what it looks like. Image

I hope you know I spent tens of minutes freezin my ass off in the garage lookin for it just to figure out its in the pantry of my laundry room.

Anyway, get some! It works like a charm
ImageImage
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Thanks!
Valves are for wussies.