More LML Star 4T Info

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

More LML Star 4T Info

Post by ericalm »

LML's UK site has photos, specs and accessories for the Star 4T—aka the Stella! (I think the rear bars aren't the same as for a P or older Stella.) They may not precisely be the same, but this could be a glimpse of what's in store for the 4T Stella. I love some of the color combos (there are 10!), especially the white.

http://www.lmlitalia.com/star4tDesc.php?lang=en

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rayk

Post by rayk »

I like it. Manual tranny too. Very cool. Only 150 cc though. But hey, 4-stroke and manual! Still hoping for a 250cc though.
MB #2932
Ride safe.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rayk wrote:I like it. Manual tranny too. Very cool. Only 150 cc though. But hey, 4-stroke and manual! Still hoping for a 250cc though.
LML is reportedly going to be making 200cc and injected versions.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

yes please. if the 4T stella is taking THIS long, how long before the inject 200?!!!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

250-300cc would be most welcome of all! It would be so great to have a highway-capable scooter that didn't look like a 500-lb. jelly bean.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:shock: OMG PINK SADDLE OMG :D
ModBud #442
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Even though I just bought a scoot, it is hard not to be excited about these. A few of the colors look great, metallic blue would be my pick.
SkooterKat

Post by SkooterKat »

PeterC wrote:500-lb. jelly bean.
hahaah! isn't that the truth. i want to ride a scooter that looks like a scooter, not a skitzo motorcycle or a 500-lb jelly bean:)
for clarification, formerly "rmacki" thanks eric for letting me change this!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PeterC wrote:250-300cc would be most welcome of all! It would be so great to have a highway-capable scooter that didn't look like a 500-lb. jelly bean.
If you've seen the shots of the back end of these it looks like it'd be pretty damn hard to fit a 300cc back there.

Still, there have been mentions on some LML sites saying they're planning on larger versions and, eventually, a CVT (auto transmission) version. I don;t know what we'll eventually see in the US, though, other than the straight 4T 150 that's been announced.

Still, if LML makes a 250cc auto version of this, I find it hard to think Genuine wouldn't want to import it. There's really no viable competition for the Vespa GTS out there right now. Something like this would be highly desirable.

It's worth noting that it costs a lot to bring new models into the US. Alterations have to be made, it has to pass EPA and CARB, and there's a lot of overhead (production, shipping, etc.) involved. It can also be costly for dealers, who need the capital to get new models on the floor. With the scooter market deep in the hole last year and a lot of '09s still on dealer floors, it may take a couple years before it's recovered enough to make introducing new models feasible.
Nickie McNichols

Re: More LML Star 4T Info

Post by Nickie McNichols »

ericalm wrote:LML's UK site has photos, specs and accessories for the Star 4T—aka the Stella! (I think the rear bars aren't the same as for a P or older Stella.) They may not precisely be the same, but this could be a glimpse of what's in store for the 4T Stella. I love some of the color combos (there are 10!), especially the white.

http://www.lmlitalia.com/star4tDesc.php?lang=en

Thanks for including this link. I fancy the red color, I think. A bit of a different shade of red than the current 2 stroke model...
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

2T's are better :o

But I'm jealous of the colors, and its awesome for the line to continue.

Does anybody know anything about the engine? Specifically, is it a 1 off engine, or is it based on another line of engines where parts will interchange?

Did PGO end up having involvement in the development?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Anachronism wrote:2T's are better :o
Better… for what?
Anachronism wrote:Does anybody know anything about the engine? Specifically, is it a 1 off engine, or is it based on another line of engines where parts will interchange?

Did PGO end up having involvement in the development?
Don't know too much about this yet. I find it hard to think that LML would develop an engine with zero interchangeability with others they build or use.

I don't think PGO was involved in this development. Genuine had a hand in it, though I'm not sure to what extent. At the very least, earlier versions were rejected. LML was making a 4T Star for a couple markets but it wasn't this design and the performance was not up to what this engine's.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I don't know if 2Ts are "better." I do like their sound and exhaust smell better than that of 4Ts. That said, I can't imagine that Genuine would try to market a 4T that wasn't at least the equal of their existing 2T in performance. Would I buy a 4T Stella? No, I'm quite happy with my 2005 2T version. Would I buy a 250cc or larger 4T? I guess I don't have much choice if I want a highway cruiser, which I do.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

PeterC wrote:I can't imagine that Genuine would try to market a 4T that wasn't at least the equal of their existing 2T in performance.
Well, if the rumors and second hand information are to be believed - the 4T Stella is said to be a better performer than its stock 2T sister. That seemed like important news to me as a comparison of the 4T Bajaj to the 2T Stella would not have lead to 4T optimism.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

ericalm wrote:
Better… for what?
Really its a preference thing, but at least up until a certain point (which IMO is beyond where most riders want to get to) in performance, it is much easier and cheaper to hot rod a 2t motor and see big performance gains.

I love being able to do a top end r&R in an hour, and bolt on a pipe and rejet and get 35-50% more power. 2T's rock.

I love 2t's so much that simply standing behind one while it runs is enough to make me lightheaded. :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Anachronism wrote:...I love 2t's so much that simply standing behind one while it runs is enough to make me lightheaded. :)
You just haven't stood behind a 4T long enough!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

ericalm wrote:Better… for what?

If I remember right a 2 stroke has better low to mid range torque... due to it firing more often than a 4stroke... or do I have that backwards.... :?:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I wasn't being entirely serious. Really, I'm not ready to make any sort of conjecture regarding the performance of the engine beyond saying that Genuine definitely wanted to avoid the Bajaj pokey 4T stigma.

Will it perform as well as the 2T? Well, they're not the same engine. The 4T may have its own strengths but will perform differently than the 2T. I'm sure a lot of the 2T faithful will dislike it regardless of how it performs. Others will give it a fair chance and judge it on its own merits.

I'd be pretty happy if it performs a little slower than the Buddy, slightly lower top end, maybe around 55mph max. actual speed. If it's a little slower than a stock 2T Stella but gets 140mpg as reported, I could definitely live with that. That's good enough for most riding I do until mods are available for this engine. :)