Motorcyclists are wimps

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brape

Motorcyclists are wimps

Post by brape »

Today with the chilly weather and threats of rain there where only 2 vehicles in the motorcycle/scooter parking...

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Same at my work and the temps have been in the 80s. Very cloudy though and some motorcycles just aren't supposed to be ridden in a chance of rain. None yet.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Heh, that looked like my motorcycle parking.... Down from 14 bikes to myself, and a Bajaj Chetak that a co-worker rides.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Lol @ you and your covered parking. I only see other 2-wheelers when it's perfect weather. When it rains while I'm at work, I have to wipe off my seat before I ride... lucky buggers. :P
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
brape

Post by brape »

Its the only motorcycle parking on campus were I can lock up :-P I'm spoiled there.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

We're not wimps, we just have enough money to own cars. So when the weather turns to crap, we move to four wheels.

Also, and this is for real, riding on two wheels when the weather is cold, wet, etc is not the best of choices (unless you don't have any others). Cold makes your reflexes slower, which means reaction times are down, which could mean the difference between squirting through a gap, or having that gap close on you. In rain, or dark (since the days are shorter and the nights are longer) visibility is diminished, sometimes to a point where you don't get seen. If your only transportation is two wheels, you're stuck for it. But if you have cage to roll in, your better off taking the car when the weather turns bad. I'm a FWR and don't make any excuses for it. I don't like being cold, wet, or exposed to more danger than I already am when I'm on two wheels in the best of conditions.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

rsrider wrote:We're not wimps, we just have enough money to own cars. So when the weather turns to crap, we move to four wheels.

Also, and this is for real, riding on two wheels when the weather is cold, wet, etc is not the best of choices (unless you don't have any others). Cold makes your reflexes slower, which means reaction times are down, which could mean the difference between squirting through a gap, or having that gap close on you. In rain, or dark (since the days are shorter and the nights are longer) visibility is diminished, sometimes to a point where you don't get seen. If your only transportation is two wheels, you're stuck for it. But if you have cage to roll in, your better off taking the car when the weather turns bad. I'm a FWR and don't make any excuses for it. I don't like being cold, wet, or exposed to more danger than I already am when I'm on two wheels in the best of conditions.
Wow. The short version response: riding's a choice, not a necessity; and that's what gear is for.

So having a scooter means I'm automatically poor? Riding in less-than-perfect weather means I'm compromised? Not in the slightest.

"If you have a cage to roll in...." I have a car because of my career and my 80-lb dog, not because I want one.

"I'm a FWR (I'm assuming fair weather rider) and don't make any excuses for it." That's fine. That's dandy. If that's what you enjoy, more power to ya. Don't, however, make BS assumptions on my riding choices based on how/why you ride. I'm not "stuck" for riding in any weather I don't want to ride in. I do, however, CHOOSE to ride rain or shine. I like it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Easy now...

OK, the first part of rsrider's post is a bit on the rough side in his intent (everything's a choice and many folks here make that choice daily), his second portion is spot on and should be headed.

I ride best when I check my testosterone at the kickstand. And I've got a lot of testosterone (there's a joke in there, so chill)!

Although I admire the commitment of those that are 2-wheel only, I couldn't do it myself. The mentality and sheer number of cagers out there make it impossible to ride perfectly safely. I take a risk every time I don my pilot suit. I take a bigger risk when I do it when it's dusk, dawn, wet, pouring, overcast, cold, overly hot or during the NASCAR weekends. I do it anyway for different reasons, most of the time. That's my choice. It's not always the wisest, but it's my choice and I choose it.

Rsrider's just trying to give some insight on the dangers of riding in less than perfect conditions. I personally think that there's too many days of the year that are outside of that very narrow perfect window to pass up on. So I choose to ride on days where part of it is less than perfect. On days where it looks completely miserable, I fire up my truck or car pool with my wife (I'm lucky for the time being, we work within 2 miles of each other). I'm also not the norm, so by all means, DO NOT follow my example.

Oh, speaking of which, I just got a new parka type jacket. I'm gonna run it through it's paces and give a review of it for 09. This one has replaced the Armadillo parka I reviewed last year.

My name is ****** (Lostmycage) and I'm a foul weather rider*.

*except when it suits me not to be
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:Easy now...

OK, the first part of rsrider's post is a bit on the rough side in his intent (everything's a choice and many folks here make that choice daily), his second portion is spot on and should be headed.

I ride best when I check my testosterone at the kickstand. And I've got a lot of testosterone (there's a joke in there, so chill)!

Although I admire the commitment of those that are 2-wheel only, I couldn't do it myself. The mentality and sheer number of cagers out there make it impossible to ride perfectly safely. I take a risk every time I don my pilot suit. I take a bigger risk when I do it when it's dusk, dawn, wet, pouring, overcast, cold, overly hot or during the NASCAR weekends. I do it anyway for different reasons, most of the time. That's my choice. It's not always the wisest, but it's my choice and I choose it.

Rsrider's just trying to give some insight on the dangers of riding in less than perfect conditions. I personally think that there's too many days of the year that are outside of that very narrow perfect window to pass up on. So I choose to ride on days where part of it is less than perfect. On days where it looks completely miserable, I fire up my truck or car pool with my wife (I'm lucky for the time being, we work within 2 miles of each other). I'm also not the norm, so by all means, DO NOT follow my example.

Oh, speaking of which, I just got a new parka type jacket. I'm gonna run it through it's paces and give a review of it for 09. This one has replaced the Armadillo parka I reviewed last year.

My name is ****** (Lostmycage) and I'm a foul weather rider*.

*except when it suits me not to be
I agree with both Lostmycage AND Cheshire.

I own 6 cars. Ranging from a 2 week old Kia, to a 1937 Ford. I don't drive ANY of them in the rain. I'm on my scoot. I LIKE riding in the rain, its got nothing to do with HAVING a car. I could drive a different car every day of the week! Don't assume that your views are the only ones. And don't take this as a bash either :) I don't mind fair weather riders at all, just remember there are foul weather riders that like what they do just as much :D
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

There's something therapeutically masochistic about riding in foul weather. I can't explain it, other that it forces a heightened sense of awareness, but I love it. The only reason I don't ride to work when it's super-crappy outside is that I really hate wet pants. Only laziness and the morning grumbles keep me from putting on my rain pants. It could also be lack of coffee... I think you get the point.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Lostmycage wrote:There's something therapeutically masochistic about riding in foul weather. I can't explain it, other that it forces a heightened sense of awareness, but I love it. The only reason I don't ride to work when it's super-crappy outside is that I really hate wet pants. Only laziness and the morning grumbles keep me from putting on my rain pants. It could also be lack of coffee... I think you get the point.

:+!:
I have not had to ride the scoot in any "real" cold weather, but I do enjoy riding in the rain, for the exact same reason.
When I lived in Chicago I rode my bicycle year round. I really loved riding in bone chilling cold though, there's something about being able to have your breath freeze to your facial hair.
There was a rift amongst couriers, who rode all year and who only rode in the summer, utter bull really it boils down to choice, and what you can take, and what you can't.
as stated before that is what gear is for.
I ride a scoot because I want to, not because I can't afford a cage, hell a used cage could cost less than what I paid for the scoot.
maybe wimps was a wrong choice of words, but don't generalize us all as poor.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
brape

Post by brape »

Kaos wrote:I own 6 cars. Ranging from a 2 week old Kia,
Which Kia did you get? I got a soul a few months ago and I love it.

I would note that the weather yesterday was 70% chance of rain until about 1 then it dropped to 20% chance. The weather was in the low 50's on my way in, 46 on my way out. I had dressed for the weather and was not cold on my way home. And my post was out of general amusement that all the motorcycles stayed home that day. (I don't generally scoot in the rain because its too much work to deal with rain gear at school)
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

At my last job I had a 2.5 mile scoot to work and I would ride as long as the roads were dry at it was at least 30 degrees when I left for work in the morning. I never saw motorcycles parked at the office on the cold days.

One day I had a guy tell me he couldn't believe I was riding as cold as it was. He said, "you're tougher than me!"

I don't personally feel compromised when riding in 30 degree weather because I wear proper gear and my ride isn't too long that the cold gets to me. However, I do personally feel that riding longer distances at that temperature would increase the risk. Once I rode farther in cold weather and my fingers got so cold, despite my cold weather gloves, that my hands started to become numb. I had to pull over into a gas station and warm my hands before continuing on home.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

No worries, Lostmycage. I guess I've gotten stuck in writing mode: been working on a research paper for history for the past several days, and it looks like it might be bleeding into my "social" writing style. Probably doesn't help that my topic is Viking berserkers. :lol:

Were you looking at my scooter funny? Whadda ya mean, "but it's cute?" Cute? CUTE???
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

rsrider wrote:We're not wimps, we just have enough money to own cars. So when the weather turns to crap, we move to four wheels.
It rained all night really hard. This morning it was dripping and threatening. I want to ride. I rode. When asked why I ride in this weather I tell people that I'm afraid of my wife. :shock: They halfway believe me when I tell them that with 5 scooters and a motorcycle I have to ride or suffer her ire after spending all of that money. So, I have no choice but to ride. :cry: :P

Truth is, I understand the risks but things are going to have to get really rough to force me to drive. Its getting to the point that I detest having to get behind the wheel when I could ride. I don't completely understand it but am willing to accept it. 8)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

DennisD wrote:...When asked why I ride in this weather I tell people that I'm afraid of my wife. :shock: They halfway believe me when I tell them that with 5 scooters and a motorcycle I have to ride or suffer her ire after spending all of that money. So, I have no choice but to ride. :cry: :P
I might have to borrow this excuse, hehe.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

brape wrote:
Kaos wrote:I own 6 cars. Ranging from a 2 week old Kia,
Which Kia did you get? I got a soul a few months ago and I love it.

I would note that the weather yesterday was 70% chance of rain until about 1 then it dropped to 20% chance. The weather was in the low 50's on my way in, 46 on my way out. I had dressed for the weather and was not cold on my way home. And my post was out of general amusement that all the motorcycles stayed home that day. (I don't generally scoot in the rain because its too much work to deal with rain gear at school)
Optima LX. My wife got T-Boned in her Spectra 2 weeks ago and totalled it. Its the third Kia we've purchased for her, and have loved every one of them. Kia is really an underapreciated car brand.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Kaos wrote: Kia is really an underapreciated car brand.
Correct. It was written up in one review on MSN as one of the top ten overlooked best values and positive comments made on their quality improvements.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've said this 100 times on the forums probably. Most cruiser and sport bike riders I see are shirtless or wear nearly nothing. They dont care about gear. Not owning a helmet or jacket, or even gloves, they are forced to stop riding for the winter.

There is usually 50+ motorcycles in the parking garage where I go to school, I find 3 scooters yesterday. No motorcycles.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

This first part I wasn't serious, the second part I was. So lighten up Francis.

Another thing about riding in the wet and cold, you more susceptible to getting ill. There are no positives about riding in bad weather. If you choose to do so, because you "love to ride in the rain", that's just a choice. Statistically, when you ride in bad weather, you're hosed. I've been on two wheels longer than most of you have been alive, not bragging, just saying. And I have never crashed on the street, even after hitting a couple of deer. I have more gear than can fit in a normal sized closet, gear for every type of condition there is. I just think that if you have an alternative to riding your scooter/MC when the weather or road conditions are bad, you should take it.

If you want to ride all year, all conditions, then good on you. But I was just trying to get across that there are only two reasons for someone to want to do that; you don't have any other means of transportation, or you're insane.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I drive a car too. But quite honestly, even when it's only 30 degrees outside if I can ride my scooter too, I take that instead of a nice warm comfy car.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

rsrider wrote:

But I was just trying to get across that there are only two reasons for someone to want to do that; you don't have any other means of transportation, or you're insane.
No middle road? I'M A NUT! :goofy:
TVB

Post by TVB »

rsrider wrote:Cold makes your reflexes slower, which means reaction times are down
Internal body and brain temperature don't go down just because it's cold out. Unless you're suffering from hypothermia, your reflexes shouldn't be impaired.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

37* this morning, my younger son missed the school bus, figured he'd have the day off..... yeah RIGHT! I ploped him on the back of the scoot, he insists on just wearing shorts and a hoodie! NO sympathy.....
Anyhow riding him into town I was looked at by people like I had my skivvies on on the outside. Saw lots of motorcycles LEFT HOME!!!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

rsrider wrote:

...*snip*...

If you want to ride all year, all conditions, then good on you. But I was just trying to get across that there are only two reasons for someone to want to do that; you don't have any other means of transportation, or you're insane.
Fair enough, but who's this Francis? :clown: Friendly tip: there's no voice inflection in print/type. I thought you were serious. An emoticon or something would've let me know. ;)

Something in me objects at the "only two reasons" bit, but that's mostly years of philosophy. In my case, it works...I burned the rocker I fell off of for firewood years ago. :lol: :twisted: I've had the nickname "Cheshire" for quite a few years for a reason!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Joking or not, I dont like being called a mentally unstable person like I'm going to become a serial killer or something. Like I said, I can drive a car too if I wanted to.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

To cheshire:

who is this francis?

"My name is Killer, if you touch me, i'll kill you, if you touch my stuff, i'll kill you, if you call me francis I'll kill you....."

"Lighten up Francis!"

from one the best movies of all time Stripes.

And I'm with Dennis D on this one, hell yeah I'm a straight nut bag and love every minute of it....
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:
rsrider wrote:

...*snip*...

Fair enough, but who's this Francis? :clown: Friendly tip: there's no voice inflection in print/type. I thought you were serious. An emoticon or something would've let me know. ;)

Something in me objects at the "only two reasons" bit, but that's mostly years of philosophy. In my case, it works...I burned the rocker I fell off of for firewood years ago. :lol: :twisted: I've had the nickname "Cheshire" for quite a few years for a reason!
Yeah, I still don't really agree with the "only two reasons bit" First off, there ARE upsides to riding in all weather: For example, Other than the fact that I ENJOY it. My Buddy averages over 100MPG. I save a LOT of money Vs the car I drive the most, a 1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite that gets about 10MPG if I drive like I normally do. Can I afford to put gas in the car? Sure. Do I want to go from spending $30 a month in gas, to $30 every other day? Hell no.

It doesn't come down to "Too poor" or "insane" It comes down to calculated choices. I weigh the pros of riding in foul weather(And there ARE pros!) and the cons and choose for myself if its a good or viable option.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

soon we will have too scrape frost off the speedo bring it on mofu
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

KABarash wrote:37* this morning, my younger son missed the school bus, figured he'd have the day off..... yeah RIGHT! I ploped him on the back of the scoot, he insists on just wearing shorts and a hoodie! NO sympathy.....
Anyhow riding him into town I was looked at by people like I had my skivvies on on the outside. Saw lots of motorcycles LEFT HOME!!!
I can hear it now.

Dad: Put on something warm, don't you realize its cold outside?

Son: Msdmmmfoo

Dad: What?

Son: Nemine

Dad: You missed the bus, you're riding on the back of the scooter.

Son: BUT...!

Dad: No buts, you know the drill. You fooled around, wasted time. Let's go.

Son: Mssdlllmoffooosamago.

Son: Nemine.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

wha mofu yo sup dauwg
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

heh heh It has rained every day here in the BHM area for weeks.

I love love love my Tourmaster Sentinel pants*. Between them, and the leather jacket (which I wax a lot) and I am Fyyyne.

Ok, people are driving crazier in the rain, but I know what they are gonna do, so it's cool. I'm dry, warm and maneuverable.

By the time I'm at the college my stress has evaporated.

*why? because they are 2 layers of water resistant but breathable nylon. they fit well and they keep me dry without being clammy. They stop water and wind. I am wearing a ladies business suit under all this MC gear!

Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

LisaLisa wrote: Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
There is no bad weather, only bad clothing?
Curious: are you a teacher, student, or native speaker? Interesting!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I learned sproket in college.
Mom is a Dane. Dad is Hungarian. We have barbarians on both sides!
Unfortunately Mom was too busy making fiskefrikadeller to teach me Danish so I had to learn Swedish at school. To this day she refuses to understand me, even if I speak with a Danish accent, and use the Danish words when different.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

This time of the year was made to prep your body for snowmobiling! If I can ride all day long in below zero weather snowmobiling its hard to say it too cold to ride the bike when the streets are clear. Weather and situation permitting I take 2 wheels over 4 every time and I own cars. (Saab 9-5, 300M and a Jeep Liberty).

This time of the year the most motorcyclists in my neck of the woods have tucked their rides away for the year. One of my best friends used to give me crap about my scooter but I have put on almost twice as many miles on my Stella in 18 months than he has on his motorcycle in 36 months. I know riding in unsafe conditions just isn’t worth it but I am so sick of hearing “it’s too hard keeping my bike clean to ride as often as you do”. Guess that’s another difference between “riders” and “bikers”. It just seems there are more “riders” on scooters than motorcycles.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Dan Buddy wrote:This time of the year the most motorcyclists in my neck of the woods have tucked their rides away for the year.
Hey Dan Buddy, I'm still ridin'. As a matter of fact, a group ride this Saturday leaves from Pierce Park in Appleton at 10am. I don't want to be the only one on this "group" ride. Show up if you can.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

we like riding throughout the year, our only stipulation is no rain or snow... but we have been rained on a few times... twice at a rally, once during a club ride...
Syd

Post by Syd »

iMoses wrote:...like riding throughout the year, our only stipulation is no rain or snow...
Same for me. I ride no matter how cold it gets here.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

iMoses wrote:we like riding throughout the year, our only stipulation is no rain or snow... but we have been rained on a few times... twice at a rally, once during a club ride...
In Oregon you can't do all year without rain ;) I try to avoid snow usually, though I have ridden in light snow a few times.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

rsrider wrote:
rsrider wrote: Another thing about riding in the wet and cold, you more susceptible to getting ill.
Sorry but I have to comment on this. Cold and wet do not make you ill. That is a very old wives' tale. Contact with germs and viruses make you ill. More people get sick in cold weather because more people are inside in direct contact with one another. I can't stand it when someone is sick because of the weather.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
rsrider wrote:
rsrider wrote: Another thing about riding in the wet and cold, you more susceptible to getting ill.
Sorry but I have to comment on this. Cold and wet do not make you ill. That is a very old wives' tale. Contact with germs and viruses make you ill. More people get sick in cold weather because more people are inside in direct contact with one another. I can't stand it when someone is sick because of the weather.
I'm sick OF the weather. does that count?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Syd wrote:
iMoses wrote:...like riding throughout the year, our only stipulation is no rain or snow...
Same for me. I ride no matter how cold it gets here.
You, Syd, are a diehard!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
Ill as in catching a cold? No, but you can get hypothermia or frostbite. Hypothermia being the big one motorcyclists and scooterists have to watch out for. An easily prevented thing though, thank goodness. :) That's one I especially have to pay attention for: I have a bad habit of pushing myself past safe limits. Every year about this time, I make a point of reviewing the signs and symptoms of hypothermia as a refresher. Mid- to late spring, I do the same thing with hyperthermia.

I remember them saying something in my MSF about chilling effect...if I remember correctly, in cooler weather riding at 50-60 mph can drop the effective ambient temperature by as much as 20 F. I've slept a lot since then, so accuracy's a gamble, and I can't find the chart they showed us.
Last edited by Cheshire on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
brape

Post by brape »

it was rain with some snow mixed in today, there where no motorcycles or scooters.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I haven't ridden since last Saturday. It has been raining with a little snow and highs around 40 degrees all week. I will ride when the temperatures are in the 30's, but not when it is combined with rain. That gets too uncomfortable.

I am so looking forward to riding this weekend!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Cheshire wrote:
bluebuddygirl wrote:
Ill as in catching a cold? No, but you can get hypothermia or frostbite. Hypothermia being the big one motorcyclists and scooterists have to watch out for. An easily prevented thing though, thank goodness. :) That's one I especially have to pay attention for: I have a bad habit of pushing myself past safe limits. Every year about this time, I make a point of reviewing the signs and symptoms of hypothermia as a refresher. Mid- to late spring, I do the same thing with hyperthermia.

I remember them saying something in my MSF about chilling effect...if I remember correctly, in cooler weather riding at 50-60 mph can drop the effective ambient temperature by as much as 20 F. I've slept a lot since then, so accuracy's a gamble, and I can't find the chart they showed us.
Definitely, it is the same as wind chill essentially, hence the many discussions about warm gear, but I don't consider frostbite "illness" Illness to me implies having caught something as a cold or the flu. A medical condition does not an illness make. :wink:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I can work with that. :)
Foreign entity the body fights off, as opposed to the body breaking down and ceasing to function properly. Gotcha.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

DennisD wrote:
KABarash wrote:37* this morning, my younger son missed the school bus, figured he'd have the day off..... yeah RIGHT! I ploped him on the back of the scoot, he insists on just wearing shorts and a hoodie! NO sympathy.....
I can hear it now.

Dad: Put on something warm, don't you realize its cold outside?

Son: Msdmmmfoo

Son: Nemine

Dad: You missed the bus, you're riding on the back of the scooter.

Son: BUT...!

Dad: No buts, you know the drill. You fooled around, wasted time. Let's go.

Son: Mssdlllmoffooosamago.

Son: Nemine.
Yeah.... something like that!
His older brother picked him up yesterday, put the fear in him! He won't be around the next two weeks to bail his little brother out! He's got two weeks of ADSW work at Ft Indiantown Gap. Will be a chilly 2 weeks riding to school.
Lazy little bastard made the bus this morning.. wouldda been a good one though, 35* and raining. I didn't tell him yet that I finally have my Jeep running, I haven't driven it since July.
Funny thing my (evil) ex has been expressing simpathy towards me for having to come out in the mornings on the scoot to get his ass!!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

It finally stopped raining here and I pulled the scoot out today! Sign said 48 degrees this morning but the wind was colder, IMHO. Tested out my new Corazzo Shop Jacket and it is great but not very windproof. The good thing is that I think it will fit under my parka easily for the winter commute! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Owning both a scooter and motorcycle, when the weather turns bad I always opt for the scooter. A lot of valid reasons have already been mentioned, but another critical one is that the scooter protects you from the elements better than a motorcycle (at least my motorcycle). So, when it starts to get colder, the scoot is the best choice. Obviously, there are many bikes out there that are fantastic all-weather performers, but a naked sport bike isn't one of them.

If it's wet, the scooter is the only choice. The motorcycle is fine in the rain but splash-back can be horrendous and the odds of something bad happening increase with the increased speed of the motorcycle.

Last, but certainly not least, I don't ride my bike in the rain because even a 10 minute joy ride will require a 2-3 hour cleaning. Honestly, that's the best reason for keeping the bike home and taking a car or the scoot. I can hose off the scooter in less than 30 minutes.

When it comes to foul weather riding, comparing motorcycle to scooter is pretty close to an apples and oranges thing. It's pointless.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800